Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
[1.1a Macros Changes]
Posted by: ra
Date: December 21, 2006 10:29PM

Perrequest from kko here:

Clicking the home button on the toolbar opens a new window (home page should be opened in the current window like in previous versions).
This is the wanted behavior. Work in progress (kko).

This is a change from all previous K-M versions... Please explain why this is wanted behavior.

In 1.0x there were menu entries to decide where links, searches and such things should be opened (current window, new window, background window) IIRC. How can I change these settings in 1.1a?

If anyone cares: I'd like to open selected URLs in a new background window, bookmarks in the current window, favorites in a new window, all searches from the search button in a new background window and have url bar search in the current window.

Thanks for your replies!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: [1.1a Macros Changes]
Posted by: kko
Date: December 22, 2006 11:19AM

This is a change from all previous K-M versions...
Like numerous other changes...
Please explain why this is wanted behavior.
Because I want it to behave like that. :p
When you choose Open Homepage from the button's menu, it will replace the current page. When you click the button it will open in addition to the current page. A few lines of macro code will restore the old behavior:

# open home page in current layer
$Home==_Home?$Home=_myHome:0;
_myHome{
id(ID_NAV_HOME);
}

So, as you see, you have more choice than you had before. The purpose of this button is to open your homepage or startup group (or other things since it's customizable now). This is what the button does. So, maybe be a bit more careful with what you call a bug. Finally, it's no natural law that pressing the home button does replace the current page.

In 1.0x there were menu entries to decide where links, searches and such things should be opened (current window, new window, background window) IIRC.
Menu entries? You mean 0.9? Since 1.0 these settings are made in Advanced Preferences.

How can I change these settings in 1.1a?
The same way as in 1.0x. Just hit F2 and you're already in the right place.

I'd like to open selected URLs in a new background window,
Then set Selected Text to open in a new background window,
bookmarks in the current window,
Netscape Bookmarks in the current window,
favorites in a new window,
Internet Explorer Favorites in a new window,
all searches from the search button in a new background window
Typed URLs in a new background window.
and have url bar search in the current window.
Keyword Autosearch (if you mean that) always opens in the current window (this is a Mozilla feature and can't be customized).

Posted by: ndebord
Date: December 24, 2006 03:03AM

KKO,

Is there going to be a FAQ in the Wiki to explain how to use this new method?

I'm sure that there will be older style stuff that is not included in the new method which will have to be ported over when someone screams that XYZ is no longer supported.

<weak grin>

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2006 03:05AM by ndebord.

Date: December 26, 2006 08:53PM

kko
This is a change from all previous K-M versions...
Like numerous other changes...
Mmh, others go unnoticed.

Please explain why this is wanted behavior.
Because I want it to behave like that. :p
That's lame. smiling smiley

When you choose Open Homepage from the button's menu, it will replace the current page. When you click the button it will open in addition to the current page.
I already have a new window button (and new windows spot my homepage), so...

A few lines of macro code will restore the old behavior:
That's good. But it still bugs me that K-M now has to be different than all other browsers in that respect, in fact be different than its previous self, too.

Finally, it's no natural law that pressing the home button does replace the current page.
Mmh, it quite is, so you shouldn't change it for all users, but only for yourself. smiling smiley

In 1.0x there were menu entries to decide where links, searches and such things should be opened (current window, new window, background window) IIRC.
Menu entries? You mean 0.9? Since 1.0 these settings are made in Advanced Preferences.
Way cool! Didn't notice the drop down menu at first when I glanced through advanced preferences.

Date: December 30, 2006 03:19AM

Just my two cents worth, but it seems to me that the K-Meleon community has gotten away from one of its strengths. In the past, there was a lot of debate over PROPOSED changes and only after this discussion were said changes implemented.

N

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: December 30, 2006 09:18AM

I agree with ndebord about that implements should be discussed, for example I also dislike this new "feature" about opening home page button opens in new layer.

I understand that if the devs are the only people building K-Meleon they have all the freedom to do what they want, remember they're not being paid for what they do and that working in K-Meleon is a hard and time consuming task.

Date: January 07, 2007 06:57PM

Enaitz,

I finally solved my windows problems and just got around to loading up KM 1.1alpha.

To say that I am confused by the major changes in this version, would be an understatement. Don't get how to edit or manage the new macros at all.

We need a faq. This new version requires education, not least with my poor brain.

N

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: January 08, 2007 02:21AM

I understand you completely, happened the same to me.

But KKO (who else?) came to save us all:

http://freenet-homepage.de/CoolMcKluus/software/kmeleon/project/reference/index.html

Take a look there, you won't regret.

KKO SAVES!

grinning smiley

Date: January 08, 2007 04:34PM

Enaitz,

Thanks much for the link. We need such help for sure.

Much thanks!

N

Date: January 08, 2007 04:42PM

enaitz,

O.K. Have read it. Don't get it yet, but will get back to it when I can.

Meanwhile, we do need a bug fix on KM 1.0.2 that is "easy" to load up, similar to what Brian did for KM 0.9. I do not want to dig through folders and sub-folders to grab the right files from SeaMonkey to do this.

<weak grin>

N

Date: January 08, 2007 06:47PM

ndebord
Is there going to be a FAQ in the Wiki to explain how to use this new method?

Well, what are the frequently asked questions? It should be clear that nobody can answer questions that haven't been asked yet.

Date: January 08, 2007 06:47PM

@ra: Your arguments do not convince me. But, I fear, I cannot convince you either. I admit, that the advantage of the new behavior isn't as obvious as I thought. So, I'll restore the old behavior.

Date: January 08, 2007 06:48PM

ndebord
Just my two cents worth, but it seems to me that the K-Meleon community has gotten away from one of its strengths. In the past, there was a lot of debate over PROPOSED changes and only after this discussion were said changes implemented.

Debating about things that nobody has seen yet, is like blindmen discussing about colors. What do you think what we issue alpha, beta and RC versions for? From my point of view, these are proposals. As far as I'm concerned, nothing is final until the final release. So, better examine the pre-releases and take the opportunity to tell us your opinion.

Date: January 08, 2007 06:49PM

enaitzjga
I understand that if the devs are the only people building K-Meleon they have all the freedom to do what they want

It's not as easy. As a user, you usually see an application from a single point of view only, namely your own one. As a developer, you have to see the things from all possible points of view, you have to deal with divergent interests...

Date: January 08, 2007 11:13PM

kko
@ra: Your arguments do not convince me. But, I fear, I cannot convince you either. I admit, that the advantage of the new behavior isn't as obvious as I thought.
Yep, I'd have two new window buttons in my setup then. smiling smiley

So, I'll restore the old behavior.

Thank you!

Date: January 12, 2007 05:39AM

kko,

One thing. Your faq is very "techie." Nicely written, but not oriented to the end user. I've been reading it and struggling. Haven't had much, if any free time to do things, as life has sped up a lot here recently, but still...

N

Date: January 12, 2007 11:13AM

ndebord
Your faq is very "techie." Nicely written, but not oriented to the end user.

That's right. I've never claimed it to be a faq, it's meant as a technical reference.

Again: When you want me to write a faq, you have to tell me your questions first. There is no other way. You have to help me to help you.

Date: January 13, 2007 06:19AM

kko,

I'd like nothing more than to help you with a faq. In all my time with KM, at this moment I have the least free time to do anything except work. If I understood KM 1.1 better, I'd be in a better position to try and edit proposed text or write general language sections, but I don't know it yet nor have the free time to devote to the learning curve right now.

As for the bug reporting system, that has never been my favorite place to post. I've generally relied on the BUG Forum section here to relay whatever issues I've run up against.

I do like the vision of the new macro system, just don't understand it.

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.