Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Opera Hotlist Plugin - What Does This Friggin' Thing Do?
Posted by: fiestaforever
Date: July 01, 2007 02:37AM

After quite a while with K-M 1.02 (but this problem probably still applies to 1.1.), I wanted to use the Opera Hotlist Plugin. Big mistake.

It truncated my 104kB .adr file to 94kB, lost a lot of stuff in the Hotlist file (killed everything in my Personal Bar in Opera, lost everything in trash etc.) and produced a load of duplicates.

This thing is worse than useless. It should be fixed immediately and never again included in a download as long as it isn't fixed. Looks like it isn't compatible with recent Opera Hotlist files (although K-M 1.02 is more recent than my installation of Opera (9.02)!).

Oh, and both K-M and Opera crashed religiously when I had the plugin activated and tried to run both browsers.

(Now that I'm writing this, I'm not even sure that I haven't already reported this kind of problem before, in the old forum. I had not tried to integrate K-M and an Opera Hotlist for at least a year.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2007 01:08PM by fiestaforever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Opera Hotlist Plugin - What Does This Friggin' Thing Do?
Posted by: Dorian
Date: July 01, 2007 05:40PM

If nobody report it, nobody will fix it...
The fix is probably trivial, the version of the hotlist file didn't change AFAIK.

fiestaforever
Oh, and both K-M and Opera crashed religiously when I had the plugin activated and tried to run both browsers.

I won't believe k-meleon crashed until you send a crash report.

Posted by: kko
Date: July 01, 2007 05:53PM

I've filed a bug bug report today.

Date: July 01, 2007 08:18PM

Sorry for being rude, but I was a little overworked when I wrote that post.

First, let me state again that this is for K-M 1.02 (on XP SP2). No idea if it also applies to 1.1.

Second, in the meantime I tried installed the crash report plugin, but I can't send crash reports.
K-M crashes like crazy when I have the plugin loaded.
The first time it crashed when I tried to configure the plugin after enabling it for the first time. Opera wasn't even running. I got a crash report for that, but sending it failed. I could not find the xml file, but I copy/pasted what could see in the crash report plugin's box. I uploaded it as a zip file.
Afterwards, K-M crashes either immediately upon launch or shortly afterwards when Opera is running, esp. if you try to choose "configure" from the Hotlist menu.
There is NO crash report then, it just quits (maybe the crash report plugin doesn't work correctly w/ 1.02; sorry, I have no time to install and play around w/ v. 1.1).

Sorry, I didn't know how to file a bug report, thank you for doing that for me.

I think that the hotlist format probably changed, because the plugin e.g. asks for a toolbar folder, but there is no such folder anymore in the Opera Hotlist files, AFAIK. I might be wrong with that, though.

BTW, K-M crashes a lot if you have many layers open. At least this version does.

(Edit: With the plugin loaded, it now crashes immediately on startup, without Opera running at the same time. No crash report possible.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2007 08:27PM by fiestaforever.

Posted by: cisiodon
Date: July 01, 2007 11:21PM

I am usaing XP SP2, K-Meleon latest version, and Opera plugin and No Crashes....you need to put Opera.adr in Drive:\documents and settings\Administrator\Application Data\k-meleon\default\folder ( like w5juirksk)
Mike

Date: July 02, 2007 02:39AM

I have the file in Opera's program folder (not the default "program files" folder but somewhere else, not on the C: drive), in the "profile" subfolder.
The filename is opera6.adr.
The plugin lets me choose the file (and it does see the file, I can see subfolders of the hotlist in the toolber).

Date: July 02, 2007 08:36AM

The dataloss can be easily fixed (trash folder, toolbar items).

Yes kmeleon use a folder for the toolbar, opera use a different way. But this shouldn't be a big problem (except you don't have the same toolbar for both).

You should expect dataloss when using kmeleon and opera at the same time if you edit your hotlist. This can't be avoided. But kmeleon fail nicely if it can't open the file in case opera use it already. So your crashs come probably from a deadly combinaison of options, not from running opera at the same time.

Layers will be removed, so I don't really look at problem involving it.

Posted by: Justmeagain
Date: September 05, 2007 03:55AM

<<You should expect dataloss when using kmeleon and opera at the same time if you edit your hotlist. This can't be avoided.>>

Are you implying that BOTH K-Meleon and Opera are trying to use the SAME FILE, and users are EDITING the SAME FILE while in the respective different browsers? That does not seem to be a sound approach! LOL.

We've been posting elsewhere lots of headaches with the Hotlist causing the K-M browser to close right in the middle of other activities using the browser, if it needs to access a link from the Hotlist or Add a link, etc.

Today we did a little test and just created a NEW *.adr file in the Profile directory of K-M, and have started to build a set of bookmarks(links) *just* to be used when IN K-M. We also changed the SETTINGS in the Hotlist to NOT use "ORDER."

So far, nothing has crashed or closed without warning, so we think we might be close to solving the problem, at least for time being. However, I hope the developers of K-M will one day soon figure out a way to build into this nifty browser a GROWN-UP BOOKMARKING SYSTEM, so we can do more than merely make a long unordered, undifferentiated listing of links. We need to be able to CATEGORIZE bookmarks, for various sites that we work on. (Auction sites, for example.) It does not appear that this is possible with the current bookmarking/hotlist function in K-M.

We also need to be able to EDIT (add, delete, modify) various Links in the Hotlist. Hope doing so won't bring back the old unwanted closing of browser problem...

Posted by: kko
Date: September 05, 2007 06:56PM

Justmeagain
However, I hope the developers of K-M will one day soon figure out a way to build into this nifty browser a GROWN-UP BOOKMARKING SYSTEM, so we can do more than merely make a long unordered, undifferentiated listing of links. We need to be able to CATEGORIZE bookmarks, for various sites that we work on. (Auction sites, for example.) It does not appear that this is possible with the current bookmarking/hotlist function in K-M.

I'm not sure what you mean with 'CATEGORIZE bookmarks'. You can create new folders to categorize your bookmarks. AFAIK Opera doesn't offer more either.

Posted by: justmeagain
Date: September 05, 2007 08:36PM

kko said: "I'm not sure what you mean with 'CATEGORIZE bookmarks'. You can create new folders to categorize your bookmarks. AFAIK Opera doesn't offer more either."

1. No offense, but AFAIK, I am speaking English in these postings, and I'm always surprised when people say "I don't know what you mean." (But maybe they are not English-speaking individuals...?) Will try to clarify...

2. By CATEGORIZE bookmarks, I mean the ability to separate the long list of links into CATEGORIES. For example, Auctions: Ebay, Selling, Buying, Discussion Groups; and so on. In other words, break down a larger category (header) into smaller sections with SUBHEADERS or Folders and Subfolders, or at least INDENTATION to show subordinate positioning of items, like a Directory Tree. (That's how Opera has done it for decades.)

3. Several times on these boards, people have said "You can do So-and-So" and yet, I find NO WAY to do the functions being discussed. WHERE in the Hotlist is there an OPTION to CREATE A FOLDER? (Maybe what we did, in order to stop the browser closing when using the Hotlist, destroyed some functioning?)

Under HOTLIST, we have 3 options:
ADD PAGE
EDIT
SETTINGS

ADD PAGE does nothing but add the current open page to the ABC listing of links.

EDIT Does nothing put allow us to change the NAME and URL. (There is no way to
ADD A FOLDER or MOVE an item into a new folder. There is not even a way to DELETE, other than highlighting & using our keyboard Delete key, which I'm assuming is safe to do, but maybe not?!?! Would appreciate clarification.)

SETTINGS lets me specify URL location for my Hotlist file; lets me choose SORTING and enables Hotlist Toolbar (which I'm not even sure what that Toolbar is--will it offer more options?).

So WHERE is the function for ADDING FOLDERS, CATEGORIZING, & EDITING so the Hotlist so it becomes more useable, instead of a simple alphabetized list of Urls?

Would appreciate additional info or clarification.
Thanks.

PS Opera has always had a really great Bookmarking function, which allows pretty sophisticated editing & moving of items & categorizing items & use of multiple hotlists. You can even change the FONT & COLOR of FONT in Hotlist (or at least you used to be able to --my suggestion that they took up). The latest Opera bookmarks also has a SEARCH function. Hope developers will explore Opera in depth, if they haven't already, because they could learn about some new important features and possibly incorporate some of them into KM. (We have used Opera since early 1990s and only reluctantly are testing other browsers, because newest Opera versions sometimes are slow and/or unable to render sophisticated Javascripting & complex webpages.) It might be a good idea, if not done already, for developers to study EARLY versions of Opera (3.61 or 3.62 were the best, fastest, simplest) and incorporate some of Opera's simple, zippy features.)

Date: September 05, 2007 09:12PM

justmeagain
EDIT Does nothing put allow us to change the NAME and URL. (There is no way to
ADD A FOLDER or MOVE an item into a new folder. There is not even a way to DELETE, other than highlighting & using our keyboard Delete key, which I'm assuming is safe to do, but maybe not?!?! Would appreciate clarification.)

EDIT rely on right click and drag&drop... You have everything you need to create folder and move bookmarks around. Of course delete is safe.

You can also search by just starting typing, though that's not very reliable.

Posted by: justmeagain
Date: September 06, 2007 06:30AM

Wow! Is there a downloadable MANUAL online somewhere for all these intricacies that K-Meleon can do?!?! If not for this Forum, we would not know how to do many of these things!

Glad to finally learn how to Create a new FOLDER, LOL! Progress, at last! :-D
Thanks!

Posted by: epsi
Date: September 15, 2007 11:11PM

I still can't figure out how to create a new folder to add new favorites to it. why is this thing so complicated to use?

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 16, 2007 12:23AM

justmeagain
Is there a downloadable MANUAL online somewhere for all

No.

p. s. Feel free to create an English MANUAL. Here are few native English-speaking persons. All devs and many users active to ask&answer questions are: French - Spanish - Brasilian Portugese(in summer) - German ... // English = Lingua Franca here & so if someone created a manual - it would be probably in a language that You cannot read.

p. p. s. I am moderator = I can see the URLs = countries of the posters.
As far as I can see - You have an URL from an English speaking area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2007 12:44AM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.