Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Advanced Preferences window - bug?
Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: July 12, 2007 04:04AM

Advanced Preferences - I love it since the moment it was added, but again (I think I wrote about it here before) - it is impossible to see bottom of its window at lower screen resolutions such as 640x480, and even at 800x600 only half of the bottom buttons are seen.
Thanks God it is resizable, but I wouldn't bet every n00b knows to grab it by the top corner and shrink it down and pull up to see the bottom buttons, right?
Therefore IMHO it should have been set to open by default at some smaller size, ie 640x450 or such - specially that even with all the options opened up in the left pane tree it still doesn't need height of 700 or whatever it is set to currently.
Just a thought...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advanced Preferences window - bug?
Posted by: kko
Date: July 12, 2007 12:02PM

I know about this.

The automatic downscaling of the window in case the screen resolution is too low is a Mozilla feature (I've not programmed it). So, I'd say, if it's a bug then it's a Mozilla bug...

But, I think, when you're using 10 year old (or even older) hardware, it's your turn to make compromises (i.e. hide your task bar to make the buttons accessible). You cannot expect that today software developers optimize their applications for hardware that almost nobody is using anymore...

Posted by: Dorian
Date: July 12, 2007 05:06PM

kko, isn't it possible to make it smaller? I think there is enough space to reduce its size.

Posted by: guenter
Date: July 12, 2007 06:33PM

Sufficiant Space: Not in all windows! E.g. not in the Find Menues.

Posted by: kko
Date: July 12, 2007 08:27PM

As guenter noticed, the dimensions of the window are already optimized to fit the content. Reduce the height of the window by half an em and you will get vertical scroll bars. The panel is most conveniently used at 1024 x 768 or higher screen resolutions which are the most common today. There are no functional limitations at lower resolutions. It's only less convenient - which is the price for using ancient hardware.

You don't need the bottom Close button to close the window - clicking the X button in the title bar or hitting the Esc key does the same. The bottom Back and Next buttons (which also have access keys!) are meant as a help, when you've hidden the category pane to gain more horizontal space for the content - which is not necessary at 800 x 600.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.