Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Crash Report
Posted by: Red*Star
Date: July 12, 2007 07:38PM

Used K-Meleon version: 1.1
Operating System: Windows XP with SP2
[with litestep shell, dunno if that's important]

I have the feeling that in the beginning of using K-meleon (v0.8 or whatever it was) the browser had less crashes than now. Well, let's state the problem:

"Always" when I open a new Window instance of K-Meleon, it crashes. Where "always" means the larger the version number of K-Meleon grows, the more often it happens on my machine (I always hoped the new versions would fix this, but the updates had opposite effect). Unfortunately I can't even say /when/ exactly it happens... it's somewhat sporadically. There are days where it loads perfectly and days where I have to restart it again and again because with the one browser window that's gone the others follow immediately. That's somewhat annoying, you can imagine.

I wish I could encircle the circumstances under which these crashes occur, but it doesn't even depend on the complexity of the websites: It happens with only-text html sites also as with sites that are overloaded with Flash Plugins and more. It seems to be a mystery...

The bad thing is that I liked K-Meleon very much until these crashes started to occur. If these crashes don't stop, I think I have to change to Thunderbird or another browser, which would be very sad...

Any others that got a similar problem?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crash Report
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: July 12, 2007 08:08PM

Curious, but first you must realize a fresh install in a folder where you haven't already an old version installed.

The way is to rename the actual K-Meleon folder, and install then the last version in the language you use (english, french, german or spanish) To prevent using an old profile, uncheck during install, the use of the User folder to locate profiles, or before install, rename the previous folder Applications Data\K-Meleon to other name to preserve it and not to disturb the new install.

With a new install and a new profile, tell us if it's ok or not.

If ok (we hope), first, if you prefer use the profiles under user folder (Documents & Settings\...) delete profile.ini under K-Meleon root folder, and launch K-Meleon to create a new folder (depending the way you have choose to preserve old profile).

Then, just keep bookmarks and some other files (.s, .w) from your old profile to your new profile.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: July 13, 2007 12:17AM

Uhhm... I think it is a clean installation with no earlier versions being overwritten or partially overwritten or something. But I'll check it again, with your suggestions. Thanks for the comment - if the problem is not solved, you probably will read me again winking smiley

Posted by: guenter
Date: July 13, 2007 03:25PM

Creating a new Profile may help with the problem
Default keeps usind "apdata"/default/... and that folder can contain damaged old rests.

Using new installation names may also help.
Maybe use /Programme/K-Meleon 1.1de

If You are using mouse gestures - make sure that no gesture that is closing anything is similar to another one.
mfG and wishing You all a nice WE

p. s. Apart from that Windows systems age - my K-Meleons crashed and broke profiles some while ago it got better after I reinstalled Windows.

Versuchen mit:
Neuem Profile (Namen)
Neuem Installationsverzeichnis (Namen ändern)
Mausgesten durchsehen

Wartung des Systems z. B. von Windows Registry

Posted by: Dorian
Date: July 15, 2007 05:45PM

How can you end up creating a "Crash Report" thread when we have a sticky "Crash Report Thread"?

Posted by: snuz2
Date: July 17, 2007 06:30AM

ditto Dorian on the Sticky!

I had mysterious sporadic crashes of a different nature that occured whenever I pulled down a Javascript-created menu, HTML menus worked though. It would crash my whole machine. You did not really specify what you mean by crash, do you have to:
just restart KM ?
restart Windows?
reboot your whole machine?
does it kill anything else when it crashes?
do you see any window at all, or the machine just dies, or it's partially drawn into?
In my case it would crash the whole machine, but like you said - not every time, only when I really needed it to work.

Does anyone else have this same problem that you have? Probably not. That's a clue that it's something in your system:

Maybe Litestep shell, but I doubt it, you can try going back to your default shell for a week or so.

What I did was to update my ATI video driver. This ended the problem once and for all, like magic. It sounds unrelated but I would make sure my video driver is up to date because that's one thing involved in creating a new window and its resources, also try updating any 3rd pary mouse drivers or using a Windows native mouse driver for a while to see if that fixes it.

As mentioned by others above, a clean test installation is the best way to test these possibilities out.

Unfortunately, this is a very difficult problem to solve and generally results from incompatibilities between driver level software and the way the OS or application calls services from it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2007 06:31AM by snuz2.

Date: July 23, 2007 11:18AM

@Dorian:
Because the sticky "Crash report thread" seemed to be about the "Crash report plugin", and I wanted to post a "crash report" and no "comment on the Crash report plugin"... *rolleyes*
And last but not least is a new topic more likely to be read than a post in a already existing topic. At least I would think so. Sorry if I have created any inconveniences

@snuz2:
With crash I meant:
1. I have the loader running.
2. I open at least one window (or maybe more windows, as I said sometimes it works perfectly, sometimes not).
3. Now, when the magic UT goblin decides to do harm to me, sometimes, somehow, somewhere, I right-click on a link and "open in new window" - /or/ I click on a link that creates automatically a new window - and then it happens: "Blablaba Problem mit K-Meleon, das Programm muss geschlossen werden" (I dunno what it looks like in the english version of Windows XP, but you know: it's just the standard "program does not longer want to run"-message winking smiley ).
4. Then it makes *ratratratrat* and after some seconds the browser window closes, and with it all other open browser windows. The system itself keeps running, even the K-Meleon loader keeps running, but every forum entries I wanted to write are gone, etc. sad smiley

snuz2
Unfortunately, this is a very difficult problem to solve and generally results from incompatibilities between driver level software and the way the OS or application calls services from it.
Yeah, and that's because I don't like my K-Meleon bug it very much... I don't want to break my system into parts, it runs so good at the moment (apart from the browser bug) grinning smiley

But I'll try your disable-litestep-shell-suggestion.

Date: July 23, 2007 04:47PM

The crash report thread is a crash report thread..., and there is a plugin for you to make a report. Guess that's not obvious.

About the crash:
Does this happen only when opening a new windows?
Does it happen when opening a new layer?
Do you use the favorites toolbar?

Date: July 27, 2007 06:10PM

New window: Until yet it happened only when opening a new one, yes.

Layers: Dunno, I have layers deactivated (unloaded at plugins).

Favorites toolbar: yes. I'm loading them from the IE favorites place.

Date: July 27, 2007 07:35PM

Then use the updater for 1.11, this should fix it.

Re: Crash Report..... enough!!!!!!
Posted by: Erwichii
Date: August 06, 2007 08:30PM

SORRY, BUT MY ENGLISH IT'S BAAAAAAAAD

i wish you all understand, i've no bad feelings with this project, it's just a job issue...

I have enough from k-meleon, i love it so much but i got a new job, and i've formatted my HD (cuz i thinked that could be something about the OS [Win]) and then installed again all, including K, cuz i've started with this bug with version 1.1 and then the 1.11, and is still crashing like Red*Star says...

I thinked that the wipe out of my hdd will help this, but i was wrong.

when i'm searching something in the web, codes or anything with flash, or javascript!, my window closes, without warning, and when i say closes it's ALL THE WINDOWS CLOSES!, and my job is lost...

Actually i'm coding in php, and when i run my /localhost/, sometimes it crashes...

the two versions crashes, they don't advise, and i cannot handle it anymore, i migrate to k-ninja or mozilla +0( because i need to work fine.

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 06, 2007 11:16PM

@ Erwichii,
Many here do not speak English as natives. No problem.

If the k-m is the only browser that makes problems replace it.
If You have fault messages that can help our project send them.

AFAIK K-Ninja is an older K-Meleon code with updated GRE, Your problem might be from recent changes or maybe not (who knows) - please tell us if You find improvement with using that K-Meleon 1.02 version called K-Ninja.

Opra is another browser that has also short startup times (like k-meleon/k-ninja). That short startup is good for testing new pages smiling smiley

greetings to MX from DE

p. s. It is very essential for all that You can function well and earn money.
Maybe help testing our next versions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2007 11:38PM by guenter.

Re: Crash Report...Ok
Posted by: Erwichii
Date: August 20, 2007 07:45PM

Well, i cannot stop loving k-meleon, and so then i never open again pages with flash, i'll open they with opra, and k-meleon continue being my def web browser, for find things in googl and forums, but when i need to open my mail or something with flash well...

Anyways, i cannot find the log report file, and so i think that when it crashes in my machine it never makes one, but i will try to get some info to bring to this forum.

and once again, sorry about my english, i'm spanish lag native

Date: October 03, 2007 09:25PM

@Dorian and all the others:

Thanks for the tip. I've installed the update three weeks ago, and since then I had absolutely _NO_ crashes anymore smiling smiley. Even with a bunch of windows not!

No longer thinking of getting rid of K-Meleon, great, great great : ))).

Just a minor bug I'm having now: The link bar normally shows my \Favorites\Links folder. It normally does, but if I click to "Add to Favorites" in the "Favorites" menu, then the link bar instantly reloads and shows the \Favorites\ folder. I have to restart K-Meleon to get it back to loading the right folder again. Any ideas?

Regards, Red*Star

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.