Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
K-Meleon Extreme Memory Usage
Posted by: jessecarmack
Date: September 05, 2007 01:23AM

Hey y'all,

I've been using K-Meleon for a few months now and it really is the greatest browser out there. I have nothing but good to say about it thus far, with the exception of the following.

When I first open K, it's using something like 26mbs of RAM. Not bad at all, especially comparatively. When I open a new tab or a new window, it adds one or two mbs on to that 26mbs each. About an hour later, maybe a bit longer, I'll notice it's using somewhere inbetween 30 and 40 mbs. We're still doing great. It's when I'm not paying attention when it gets me. I'll be involved in whatever, then I'll check it's memory usage, and it's eating somewhere from 100 to 200 mbs of RAM. Usually closer to that latter, if not surpassing that. I've got plenty of RAM to spare, I'm not overly concerned; and even when it does use that much memory, it still performs lightning quick, though sometimes will hitch up a bit.

What first attracted me to K-Meleon was it not having a memory leak problem like Firefox had. I'm not sure if that's what the problem is, but I still thought I'd mention it. Are there any steps I could take to reduce it's memory usage? I first noticed this happening after 1.1.2 - though it could have happened prior to the update.

Thanks in advance,
-Jesse

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon Extreme Memory Usage
Posted by: guenter
Date: September 05, 2007 06:11AM

AFAIK K-Meleon keeps RAM not required by other applications.
It is a setting common for Mozilla browsers and helps to spead them up.
The RAM is released imidiately when the browsers are minimized ( the rationale seems that normaly a browser is minimized when it is not used soon and therefore can release RAM).

BTW. AFAIremeber Dorian fixed existing, older leaks - he mentioned it.

Re: K-Meleon Extreme Memory Usage
Posted by: RM
Date: September 11, 2007 01:18PM

i am finding that recently K-meleon is freezing when a tab is closed for a few seconds, which is very annoying. The K-meleon during that time displays like multiple windows in the task bar. This I have never noticed with any of the other browsers i have used. is this a bug or is this normal.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.