Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
adobe pdf problem
Posted by: hammersteen
Date: October 04, 2007 10:44AM

k-meleon (1.1.2) appears to be incomatible with adobe reader 7. i saw this mentioned somewhere and went back to version 6. it works now.

however, i could have lived with changing the mime setting to "save to disk" rather than "open with". since this did not work either with version 7 installed, it is clearly a k-meleon bug and not adobe's fault.

i would like to go back to adobe reader 7. any plans to fix this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: adobe pdf problem
Posted by: guenter
Date: October 04, 2007 05:23PM

Sorry but IMHO it is Your system or an Adobe Pdf Reader 7 fault.
I have no info whether Microsoft or Adobe plan to fix the problem sad smiley

I assume that You have the type of Microsoft Windows that requires Adobe 6.
If not You best switch to Adobe 8.1.

PDF Reader 7 has a known problem with all Gecko based browsers: quote

"Embedded PDF files do not display when using Adobe Reader 7.0

It has been reported that PDF files embedded in web pages will not display when using the Adobe Reader 7.0 browser plugin, due to it not passing the correct options to acroread."

If You have problems after the update to the needed plugin version? Please make sure that the plugin dll nppdf32.dll is in K-Meleon plugins directory. If not -please - copy it there manually. Some of the Adobe products have a known deficiency to recognize K-Meleon's plugin folder during installation and lack a fallback routine to change install location manually. I saw reference to this problem mentioned in various Forum posts.

Reason quote: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html#Acrobat

Adobe Reader 8.1 requires Windows 2000 or later. If you are using Windows 98 SE, Windows Me, or Windows NT 4.0, you will need to use Adobe Reader 6.0.6. On older versions of Windows you will need to use Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.1.

Important! Older versions of Adobe Reader have known security issues. These are fixed in Adobe Reader 8.1, 7.0.9 and 6.0.6. You can use the update tool built in to Adobe Reader to update to the latest version, or download each update and apply them in order.

p. s. My pdf plugin Version 8.1.0.2007051000 works/tests positive with K-Meleon 1.1 updated to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de-DE; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070727 K-Meleon/1.1.2 (ax).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2007 06:10PM by guenter.

Posted by: desga2
Date: October 04, 2007 07:43PM

I'am using KM 1.1.2 with Adobe Reader 7.05 (Spanish) and run fine.

Date: October 04, 2007 08:43PM

ok - desga2,

so only English Readers or systems seem have the error
- I quoted from English Plugin Page at Mozilla.

You say Spanish version is fine and German Mozilla Plugins Page also does not know the error and even says plugin 7 can be used with Windows 95/NT4.

p.s. I used Foxit when Adobe Reader 7 was used - so I can only go from what I read.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2007 01:56AM by guenter.

Posted by: caktus
Date: October 05, 2007 02:55AM

I too have Adobe 8.1, and it works fine with KM. However, I actually use and recommend Foxit Reader The paid version has some extra features. But the free version works much better than Adobe as it is very small (2.1 MB verses about 20 Mcool smiley and unlike Adobe it loads very fast.

Hope this is helpful.

Charlie

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: October 05, 2007 06:53AM

I agree with Charlie, Foxit Reader is really smaller and faster than Adobe.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: hammersteen
Date: October 05, 2007 10:37AM

Thanks for the replies.

1. If I could upgrade to adobe reader 8 I would but system restrictions prevent me.
2. What I said in my initial post still stands. If I change the MIME settings to "save", k-meleon should bypass invoking any programs and just offer me the selection to download.
3. I've installed Foxit. Much faster. Thanks!

Date: October 05, 2007 06:39PM

hammersteen
2. What I said in my initial post still stands. If I change the MIME settings to "save", k-meleon should bypass invoking any programs and just offer me the selection to download.

It is a "feature/bug" of the Gecko engine that content that is handled by a plugin from plugin directory is not downloaded when mimeTypes.rdf is edited to say it must be downloaded. I also tried with a Firefox - it has the same habbit.

p. s. You could probably workaround that problem with a download manager or You can decativate the plugin with Plugin Chooser Ver1.1a by T.Kamachi e.g. at http://tecfa.unige.ch/pub/software/win95/www/viewers/netscape/extensions/plugin%20chooser/
( but de/actiation requires a browser restart - so it is not a good solution ).
Else You can click save on the reader software. The later works in most cases where the author of the html/pdf wanted it.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 07, 2007 12:14AM

Alain,

How do you set up foxit with KM? I see no plugin, just an executable?

Tks,

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2007 12:15AM by ndebord.

Posted by: caktus
Date: October 07, 2007 03:43AM

During setup select "Default" if it asks if you want Foxit to be your default PDF reader. If it doesn't ask, don't worry about it. When you open a PDF document for viewing, Foxit should automatically open it for you. It's pretty much an install-and-go application. Foxit reader is a pretty reliable app. but if it doesn't seem to be working properly, just reinstall it.

At worst, the setup file may be corrupt and would need to be downloaded again.

No macros or such required.

Hope this is helpful.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2007 03:44AM by caktus.

Date: October 07, 2007 11:00AM

As you have Acrobat installed, and the plufgin installed, you must configurate K-Meleon.

1) Look at Edit > Advanced Preferences (F2) > File Types, and change the action if .pdf is in the list. Take Default if you have already set Foxit Reader as default pdf reader (When launching it, it's set automatically), if not, you can 'Open with this application', and browse to set Foxit Reader.

2) If not in the list, Edit > Edit Mimetypes > New Type
Mime Type = application/pdf
Description = Portable Document Format
Extension = pdf
After validating, verify if 1) is set

Remark:
I have had some problems, under w98se and with the previous K-Meleon version (there were no Advanced preference and it was 1.7.x Mozilla version) even the settings were correct. The problem was due to the adobe plugin, and I have deleted the adobe plugin dll to make it work.
Now I haven't Adobe installed,n and it's ok. Under xp, I have the two installed and it seems there is no more problems.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Posted by: Ivan Zhelev
Date: February 26, 2008 01:48PM

JujuLand, thank you SO MUCH! It worked fine with my K-Meleon 1.1.4 and Adobe Acrobat Professional 7.0!

Posted by: keyla
Date: March 25, 2008 09:52AM

hai ada yang bs bntu gw gk alnya gw mau cari nih ttg informasi bug
kira-kira ada yang bisa bantu gk yach.,,,,,,,,,,,

Posted by: Mateusz Czaplinski
Date: April 02, 2008 07:38PM

I've changed PDF handler in "File Handling" from Adobe Plugin to "Default: Foxit Reader" (application). But then, K-Meleon first downloads the PDF and only then opens it in the Foxit Reader, in a separate window.

What I'd like is that Foxit behaved like the Adobe Plugin, opening the documents embedded in K-Melon's layer. Is it possible? AFAGS (as far as Google says), Firefox first needed a special third party plugin (PDF Reader or something) to work with Foxit embedded, but now it isn't needed. If that be so, is it possible that I put some DLL in the plugins directory of KM and everything works automagically? I've found some whispers about a certain 'fpdfdll5.dll' which was apparently distributed with previous versions of Foxit to serve this purpose, but seems not to be attached in Foxit 2.2's exe or zip downloads?

thanks in advance
Mateusz

Date: April 02, 2008 09:25PM

You're wrong when you think that Acrobat Reader can handle file content without loading it.In fact, I suppose that the acrobat plugin download itself the file without asking K-Meleon to do it.It's exactly the same, but Acrobat doesn't display the downloading.

I don't know about a plugin to embed the pdf in the browser layer or window.

I personnaly prefer to have it opened out of the browser, to avoid close the browser like I have sometimes done with Acrobat and IE, and to allow continuing browsing and always having pdf opened.

A+

Posted by: Mateusz Czaplinski
Date: April 03, 2008 09:30PM

Uh, I didn't mean to say that "Acrobat Reader can handle file content without loading it," but never mind.

Do you mean you don't know about a _Foxit_ plugin to open pdfs embedded, or you don't know of any at all? If the latter, then Acrobat does that, at least in Windows; if the primer, then I'm still open to answers if someone knows something more?

Greetz!
Mateusz

Date: April 04, 2008 08:46AM

I don't know if Foxit has a such plugin (I never found it in any version I loaded since 1.1x if I remember). What I know is that Firefox have an extension to add a toolbar with no great interest for me (melting of searchbar, and some other tools).

I know that Acrobat has a plugin to display the pdf link in the browser, but I personnaly don't like it.

A+

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.