Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Problems migrating a profile - Version 0.9
Date: November 16, 2007 12:11AM

Hi guys,

I recently bought a second PC and I'm trying to migrate my old profile but I want K-Meleon to create a new salted folder. I'm using Windows 98 FE on both machines. The profile is working fine on the old machine. I have migrated it to Win 98 SE into another partition on the old machine before but I had to reuse the exact same name for the salted folder to do that.

I have made a waggonload of changes to the original default profiles. So redoing all the changes manually would take me ages. I can migrate the profile using the same name for the salted folder as before but I don't want to be confined to be using that same name for all eternity. Also the old profile is clean because whenever I worked on changing it I first restored my last clean backup of it.

What I have tried to do is the following. I have copied the contents of my old profile (i.e. the contents of the salted folder) to the profile folder within the "default" subfolder of the K-Meleon program folder after installing K-Meleon 0.9 on the new machine. I already understood that K-Meleon is using this subfolder as a root resource when creating new profiles.

I have however edited the prefs.js before doing this. There were three lines in the prefs.js containing the name of the old salted folder. I just deleted these three lines and left the rest of the file as it was. Then I copied the other files from the old profile into the same folder. I also replaced the Klassic skin in the skin folder with an adapted Klassic skin that I'm using. Then I started the newly installed K-Meleon for the first time on that machine.

As a result I almost got to where I actually want to go but the Macros Extension Plugin isn't working.

So K-Meleon did accept the settings from my old prefs.js and created a new salted folder with those settings. Also it accepted my modded menus.cfg and all the other files. For example I prefer to have it set to not open with a fullscreen window and in fact it did open with a partial screen window in the exact position where I have it on my old PC. Also it opened with a blank page (about:blank). Futhermore it accepted my modded Klassic skin and did not try to use Phoenity instead. It did open without the throbber (just as it was supposed to according to my old settings). So far so good.

Yet I cannot get the Macros Extrension Plugin to work this way. Consequently everything that is in my macros.cfg was ignored and is not there. Now, when I migrated the profile the other time (but keeping the name of the SLT-folder that time) I had the Macros Extension Plugin working immediately. I usually remove all the plugins that I don't need so I only have the following 4 plugins in the K-plugins folder (these are the only ones I need):

- fullscreen.dll
- macros.dll
- privacy.dll
- toolbars.dll

It is working that way in my old profile. I just don't understand, why
I cannot get the macros extension plugin to work when migrating the profile and trying to get a new slt-folder at the same time. I have reinstalled and tried to fiddle around with a few variations of the procedure but always with the same result: Macros Extension Plugin not working. When I look into the preferences of the browser in the plugin section the other three plugins are there with a tick in a green box in front of them. Only the Macros plugin is not there even though I did not remove the macros.dll from the plugin folder. In the old profile (i.e. on the old PC) all 4 plugins are shown with a tick in a green box in front of them. So it's definitely about the Macros plugin not working this way.

All of the differences I have between the new profile and the old profile are the missing macros. Everything else was migrated as it was and is working fine. It's kind of bugging me that I already got so close and yet did not quite get to where I wanted to go. But the Macros Plugin is very important for my profile. That's were half of the work is. As I said, I have almost completely redesigned the whole menus including the Right-Click-Popup-Menus. Having to do all that again manually would just take too much time. So any help would be much appreciated.

K-Meleon version is 0.9.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problems migrating a profile - Version 0.9
Posted by: guenter
Date: November 16, 2007 06:28PM

OK. IMHO You should have done everthing right. I just repeat how its done for 0.9.
And where I think that You must look closer.

1.) Create and work with a backup. Make sure that all plugins that You want are present and working. Take them from a place/install where they work.

2.) You place Your modified menus.cfg, macros.cfg into ./defaults/profile so that any new Profile will have them as its basis. To make this modified K-Meleon 0.9 installable at any new location You delete the old ./profiles/ folder and its slted profiles.

You do not use pluginreg.dat and profiles.dat of an old profile. They are deleted with the profiles folder. ( This could cause Your problem )

3.) Changed prefs that do not point to specific locations can be inserted into the prefs.js in ./defaults/profile . This way You can e.g. transfer and change the startup page of the first start, the skin choosen and the layout of the skin... Network behavior and speed tweaks can be also there. Things that You do not want the be changed (e.g. by another user) can be placed into user.js.

To migrate passwords copy & paste the content of *.s into the new *.s (created at the first loggin into a page of the newly created Profile). If You have set a master password You also copy all 3 *.db files from the old profile to the new profile. Else the old *.s and edit its name in new prefs.js. If only You use the installer that You create You could place them into ./defaults/profile and add the user_pref("signon.SignonFileName", "*.s"); to its prefs.js ( *.s is a long number such as 49358108.s )

6 or so user_prefs point to specific locations. You must find and delete them all.
I use the search function of an editor. (Did You find all? If not this could be Your problem. )

kplugins that You want to load must be:
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bmpmenu.load", true);

Kplugins that You want to load must be:
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bmpmenu.load", false);

You could also include altered bookmarks.html, hotlist, mimeTypes.rdf or accel.cfg into Your package.

p. s. Übrigens: Deine Frage betrifft keinen Bug, gehört also nach General. Wir sind bei 1.1.2 und die Versionswechsel erfolgten auch aus Sicherheitsgründen. 1.1.x und seine Menus sind besser konfigurierbar als 0.9. Also falls mal mehr Zeit ist... smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2007 10:40PM by guenter.

Date: November 18, 2007 04:33PM

Hello Guenter,

well, yes, er.... I was kind of wondering into which part of the forum I should stick this thread. I was even thinking about including a line that I wasn't quite sure, where the thread should go. I finally settled for bugs even though I was aware it might not be a bug. And yes, I am actually German. You probably got that from my mail address. So I could understand the german part of your answer.

First of all I only deleted the parts of the Prefs.js that were pointing to the salted folder. These were at three locations only. You mentioned that there are six intances of lines in the prefs.js pointing to specific locations. What are the other lines? Because I only deleted the ones pointing to the salted folder.

I did not have to delete an old salted directory as this is a new install (on the second machine at least it is). But now I might have to delete the new profile before I try again if I don't manage to get it working correctly.

I don't let K-Meleon keep track of passwords. So I don't have to migrate the password files - I don't even have those files in my old profile. But it's interesting how the built-in profile creator copies everything it finds in the resource profile folder from there to the new salted folder. I once placed a few dummy files into the resource profile just to verify the behaviour and yes, those got copied too. Therefore it also did copy my macros.cfg. Yet the macros plugin did not get installed.

So is it right to assume, that only the prefs.js gets edited by the built-in profile creator and the other files just get copied without any changes?

So if I didn't delete three of the other lines in the prefs.js that you mentioned then the built-in profile creator was not able to alter them? Could this explain why the macros plugin is not installed in the new profile even though it is present in the kplugins subfolder? Or could there be something in my macros.cfg that inhibits K-Meleon from installing the plugin in the new folder? Yet the macros.cfg is working in its present form on my old PC. But does K-Meleon check the macros.cfg on installation at all - or does it only read it after the new profile has been created?

It is clear that if the macros plugin was working the migration would have succeeded - because all the differences that I found in the new profile are related to the macros plugin.

I was also thinking that there might be a way to add a plugin to an already working profile but I don't know how that works. Because if I could get K-Meleon to recognize the plugin that way I would still make the new profile work - just need to know how. The plugin is from the new install. The file should be okay. But I might take the file from the old PC as well. Yet I don't think that the installer file for version 0.9 that I have should be corrupt. Still it's kind of odd that K-Meleon isn't recognizing the macros.dll. I just left it where it was in the kplugins-folder after the new install. And I have tried to install again already - and then the same thing happened.

P.S.: Now that I know I can install several versions of K-Meleon in different folders, where can I download version 1.1.2? I probably would still keep version 0.9 as default, since I read that one was leaner than the later versions.

Most of my own modifications were to make the browser slimmer. I added a few functions of my own via the macros.cfg but 90 % of what I did was cutting down the program's complexity. I haven't dared to touch the K-Meleon.exe though. I'm aware that the exe is still loading some routines that I don't need but I'm not a professional programmer - so I would probably mess up the exe if I changed it. But it would be theoretically possible to make the browser even slimmer for me by not having the exe load those unneeded routines.

Posted by: desga2
Date: November 18, 2007 07:20PM

The_Old_Fiddle
P.S.: Now that I know I can install several versions of K-Meleon in different folders, where can I download version 1.1.2? I probably would still keep version 0.9 as default, since I read that one was leaner than the later versions.

'Download' link in green bar menu at left side in this page. If you download installer version you must uncheck in installation options 'Multi-user profile' mode
and 'Set K-Meleon as your default browser'. Or you can put a file named 'profile.ini' in new K-Meleon installation folder.

You can try with K-MeleonCCF ME or K-Meleon-NX versions, this uses NOXUL concept with less options and are very fast.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2007 07:22PM by desga2.

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 19, 2007 07:01AM

user_pref("browser.cache.disk.parent_directory",
user_pref("kmeleon.general.pluginsDir",
user_pref("kmeleon.general.profileDir",
user_pref("kmeleon.general.settingsDir",
user_pref("kmeleon.general.skinsDir",
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.bookmarkFile",

With plugins and settings the most vital.
You do not delete anything in the line but delete the whole line.
K-Meleon will regenerate it when You install.

You easiest find these lines by repetitively searching this string:

C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\K-MELEON\\
or:
D:\\Programme\\K-MELEON0.9-1.8B2-MODIFIED\\
or wherever You installed.

I am not sure whether K-Meleon can handle double user_pref entries (Duplikate)
That give different commands.

Best copy&paste selectively the sections that You changed.

Else You write Your whole used prefs.js (except the lines that point to a specific place) into Your user.js and remove it again when Your K-Meleon has started once.
The user.js can have prefs that duplicate user_pref commands in prefs.js.

User.js is the file that stores personal preferences. user_prefs set there can only be changed by editing them in user.js. So You remove them later when they have done their job then You are able to change the prefs in the normal way.

Until K-Meleon 0.9 Profiles where by default in K-Meleon's install directory.

Since 1.0 profiles are by default in the sub folder ./K-Meleon in Application Data / Anwendungsdaten next to the profiles folders of other Mozilla applications. The old location can be forced
by unselecting Multi User profiles or by placing a file called profile.ini into K-Meleon's install folder later. Profile.ini can be empty.

The old behavior gives an easy access to multiple independent installs.
Just change the folder name. On K: I have 10 different K-Meleon installs next to each other. They range from K-Meleon0.65 to recent versions such as K-Meleonde-DE1.1.2b.

BTW. I do not think that 0.9 is leaner than 1.1 smiling smiley
In spite of greater speed and functionality the 1.0 - 1.1 are lean like the 0.8x.

p. s. Ich darf die URLs der Posts sehen. net-htp ist eindeutig. Dort spricht man "Hannöversch" tongue sticking out smiley

Wenn nicht weiter mußt Du die relevanten, von Dir geänderten Daten an sterntaler@ bei Deinem Provider schicken. Dann kann der gucken, ob er es hinfummeln kannsmiling smiley

Der hat noch lauffähige 0.9. Z. B. einen: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de-AT; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915 K-Meleon/0.9 von clickfish. Den könnte man auf 1.7.13 updaten smiling smiley

Man achte auf das de-AT smiling smiley

mfG aus Hannover

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2007 07:08AM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.