Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Browser will not open
Posted by: Berserkleon
Date: August 10, 2008 09:14PM

hello, I've just installed K-meleon on my hard drive and the portable version on my flash drive. When I go to open either installation, K-meleon will not open a window. it's running in the background and using a lot of cpu threads and about 20 Megs of RAM, but no window has shown up. If I close the program with task manager, then try to open either of the installations I get "K-meleon wasn't closed properly. Do you want to resume your last browsing session?" and regardless of which option I choose, no window comes up.
I've got all of the popular browsers and some un-knowns (lolifox), but this is the only browser I've had this problem with. I want to try it because of the claims the site makes of it's speed, but I can't do anything until this is fixed.
Any help is appreciated

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2008 09:19PM by Berserkleon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Browser will not open
Posted by: guenter
Date: August 10, 2008 11:22PM

Set Your firewall to allow the new application (that is the most likely reason).

Some Firewalls must be reset to a learning mode. I use ZoneAlarm free that has no problem when a new browser or version is installed - a popup that prompts me whether I want to allow or forbid the new application called K-Meleon.exe & some version info (forever or this 1 time ?). & do not use two firewalls. & I find Windows native firewall that came with SP2 hard to configure. Switch it off if You have that problem too.

p.s. For any Windows - K-Meleon IMHO strikes the best bargain between RAM&CPU usage. Starts fast (comparable to Opera). Has the advanced Gecko engine that it shares with e.g. Firefox/SeaMonkey plus K-Meleon has the excellent Windows integration of an MFC (MicroSoft Foundation Class) application.

Date: August 11, 2008 01:22AM

Thank you, but it didn't work. I already disabled windows firewall a long time ago. The only program I have now that works as one is Avast! professional. I turned that off too and K-meleon's window still won't come up.

Date: August 11, 2008 02:25AM

ok / rules out first choice - next try - we do not yet assume it is a broken OS smiling smiley

Do You have writing privilege on K-Meleon profiles folders (they can be in ./k-meleon or central where all other program profiles are (choice comes on install after selected multi user profiles) (portable AFAIK always has Profiles in ./k-meleon folder).

Next thing we want to know is what Windows version ( pre 2000 versions may need dll updates ).

Next we try to exclude installer failure ( use 7z download and unpack - extract runtimes dll msvcp71.dll&msvcr71.dll from K-m installer, copy into k-meleon folder and try to start again ).

Out of ideas & time at the moment smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2008 02:26AM by guenter.

Date: August 11, 2008 05:53AM

replaced the run-time dlls with the ones from the extracted installer, still no go.
I'm on Windows XP Professional SP3

Posted by: desga2
Date: August 11, 2008 11:55AM

Seem you have problems to generate a profile. Try to generate a new profile with a profile.ini file.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: Wolpheyez
Date: October 25, 2008 07:22PM

Hi there, I have the exact problem,exact same situation and with lots of browsers in my PC. Tried everything suggested here. Still can't start the browser. Any other suggestion? I would really want to try this browser out. So far no success. Thanks in advance

Posted by: kevinnn
Date: October 26, 2008 02:06AM

i encount the status sometimes.
Once killing the process of km in the task manager,there 's no problem to restart km.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2008 02:07AM by kevinnn.

Date: October 26, 2008 12:04PM

Wolpheyez
Tried everything suggested here.

You use a system setting, Firewall, Virus software or Sandbox setting that prevents K-Meleon to start. Use the other browsers.

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: October 26, 2008 03:34PM

could it possible be sp3? preventing aplications from running from usb?

to confirm this.. try installing k-meleon conventionally on the harddisk, see if it functions normally.. also try using another browser from a portable media, like say firefox portable.. if it too fails to run, then most probably sp3 is prohibiting applications from usb and such

Posted by: panzer
Date: October 26, 2008 06:53PM

I coludn't start my Kmeleon from USB, but I can open the same Kmeleon on comp in my company.

I am reading this thread and I just remembered I have Trust-No-Exe installed. This must be a reason. smiling smiley

Posted by: disrupted
Date: October 26, 2008 07:43PM

you gotta love trust-no-exe.. fool-proof protection without hogging resources smiling smiley

Posted by: wolpheyez
Date: October 28, 2008 03:39PM

Unfortunately, mine won't start from harddisk or usb. I would really like to try this browser, but as it is, i probably have to stick to my old browsers. Thanks anyway, but pls let me know if there is a solution to this, since i probably won't be the only one facing this problem

Date: October 28, 2008 06:32PM

We need more data for solved your problem:

What Windows are you using?
What K-Meleon version?
Where are you running K-Meleon; disk or USB?

Check if you have runtimes dll needed: msvcp71.dll, msvcr71.dll
Create a "profile.ini" file in K-Meleon folder to create a new Profile (current can be corrupted) or delete your Profile folder to generate a new if you already have a profile.imi file.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: October 29, 2008 05:19PM

desga2
We need more data for solved your problem:

What Windows are you using?
What K-Meleon version?
Where are you running K-Meleon; disk or USB?

Check if you have runtimes dll needed: msvcp71.dll, msvcr71.dll
Create a "profile.ini" file in K-Meleon folder to create a new Profile (current can be corrupted) or delete your Profile folder to generate a new if you already have a profile.imi file.

I am using Windows XP SP3
Using the latest 1.5.1 version
running from both USB and disk, both not working

have both files, copied from the 7zip package
done the profile thing many times
Basically done everything, as far as i know, that had been suggested

In case this might be helpful, I am using Avast Anti virus and sygate personal firewall

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2008 05:23PM by wolpheyez.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: October 30, 2008 07:37AM

it seems that sp3 is the common factor here so i'd like to think it's sp3 causing those problems but then again charlie was able to run km with sp3 and why can other browsers run.. it's strange but it sounds more like a system thing than a km thing or a combination of both(km bug under a specific certain environmental variable)..

try this wolph..(it's not a solution, it's just trying to pinpoint the problem)
first make sure that km isn't running in the background from the taskmanager or preferably restart the computer first to make sure no loaded dlls or applications preventing km from running properly)

after that, run the loader first (loader.exe in k-meleon folder), now that the loader is running.. fireup k-meleon.exe.. is k-meleon running now(windows shown) as it should? if it is.. then that means that k-meleon.exe alone isn't able to load its dlls into the system and the loader has to help prior.

case 2: k-meleon still cannot run.. then open taskmanager and check cpu load +k-meleon. is km using all the resources(freeze-state).. then that could be related to an antivirus or another program preventing km.
try this, disable all resident programs(programs that load at startup and keep on running in the background), either disable them from their options from loading at startup or run msconfig and uncheck then from the startup list.

restart the computer.. try running k-meleon again

Date: October 30, 2008 10:42AM

@ wolpheyez:
Are you tried with before versions 1.5.0 or 1.1.6?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2008 10:43AM by desga2.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 30, 2008 01:12PM

I don't think sp3 is the problem. I am using XP SP3 and I have no problem with KM 1.1.6, KM 1.5.0, or KM 1.5.1. I have all of these loaded.

Note that I do not use the loader nor do I use the installer. My method is always to create a folder and extract the files from the 7z to that folder. I then create an empty file there and name it profile.ini. Then I execute k-meleon.exe. This method has never failed to get KM running for me.

Just in case there was a problem with the file, you might try downloading the 7z again and try with the new version.

Date: October 30, 2008 01:28PM

disrupted
it seems that sp3 is the common factor here so i'd like to think it's sp3 causing those problems but then again charlie was able to run km with sp3 and why can other browsers run.. it's strange but it sounds more like a system thing than a km thing or a combination of both(km bug under a specific certain environmental variable)..

try this wolph..(it's not a solution, it's just trying to pinpoint the problem)
first make sure that km isn't running in the background from the taskmanager or preferably restart the computer first to make sure no loaded dlls or applications preventing km from running properly)

after that, run the loader first (loader.exe in k-meleon folder), now that the loader is running.. fireup k-meleon.exe.. is k-meleon running now(windows shown) as it should? if it is.. then that means that k-meleon.exe alone isn't able to load its dlls into the system and the loader has to help prior.

case 2: k-meleon still cannot run.. then open taskmanager and check cpu load +k-meleon. is km using all the resources(freeze-state).. then that could be related to an antivirus or another program preventing km.
try this, disable all resident programs(programs that load at startup and keep on running in the background), either disable them from their options from loading at startup or run msconfig and uncheck then from the startup list.

restart the computer.. try running k-meleon again

Interestingly, k-meleon still doesn't work with the loader on. Using a lot of CPU (around 40 to 60%) but the interesting fact is, with the loader it is using less memory. Previously without the loader it uses abt 20Mb but with the loader it is using about 17Mb. Haven't try the other method yet. Will do so when I have more time. Thanks anyway

Date: October 30, 2008 01:30PM

desga2
@ wolpheyez:

Sorry I am new to this browser, and so had only tried the latest version. Will try and see if it works. Thanks

Date: October 30, 2008 01:31PM

JamesD
I don't think sp3 is the problem. I am using XP SP3 and I have no problem with KM 1.1.6, KM 1.5.0, or KM 1.5.1. I have all of these loaded.

Note that I do not use the loader nor do I use the installer. My method is always to create a folder and extract the files from the 7z to that folder. I then create an empty file there and name it profile.ini. Then I execute k-meleon.exe. This method has never failed to get KM running for me.

Just in case there was a problem with the file, you might try downloading the 7z again and try with the new version.

Had tried a couple of time. Didn't work. Thanks anyway

Date: October 30, 2008 01:45PM

wolpheyez
desga2
@ wolpheyez:

Sorry I am new to this browser, and so had only tried the latest version. Will try and see if it works. Thanks

Hey, 1.1.6 works, but not 1.5.0. So I guess the problem should be something thats in 1.5.1 and not 1.1.6. Maybe I will just use 1.1.6 for now until a solution is found for 1.5.1. Thanks

Date: October 31, 2008 08:25PM

Another interesting thing that I found out is that I am able to use the latest k-meleonw9x.exe but not the k-meleon.exe. I suspect there is something in the new improved Unicode system thats causing the problem

Date: November 03, 2008 03:12PM

Trust-no-exe was not the problem. i tried to open it with loader and nothing. I take a peek in Process explorer: Kmeleon is not using any CPU at all but I couldn't shut it down. I tried that with Anvir task Manager and managed to crash the comp. When I restarted, I deleted Anvir, Kmeleon worked O.K.

I too think there is something wrong with one of the files from the newest version.

Date: November 03, 2008 03:50PM

In most of these cases the problem is caused by spyware, antivirus or firewall software that must be configured correctly to allow the K-Meleon execution.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2008 03:50PM by desga2.

Date: November 03, 2008 04:48PM

Possibly, since I tried the same USB Kmeleon and it worked O. K.

Posted by: caktus
Date: November 03, 2008 07:41PM

disrupted
charlie was able to run km with sp3

Actually, after surfing a while, eventually I would only get "Page not found" errors with all browsers, requiring a restart. Removing sp3 fixed it. But I since learned that the problem was max tcp connections having been limited to only 10. This was appearantly caused by sp2, but was not a noticeabe problem until installing sp3. I then reinstalled sp3. Then learned that changing max tcp connections required making many convoluted registry edits. But I found a free program that made it very simple work. This program is SG TCP Optimizer. It is self installing. Just click on It. If using a single work station or stand alone computer, just select "Optimal settings" then Exit. Or if you prefer, you may want to set the connection speed slider to a higher setting, but I have a feeling that could cause connection problems. If you are on a network you may want to select a network status feature. That's it, no need to be concerned with the other features/tabs, etc.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: November 17, 2008 04:55PM

It looks like it was COMODO Firewall. But somehow any time I start a comp, it asks me if I trust Kmeleon. So I have to set it up every time.

Posted by: caktus
Date: November 18, 2008 04:18PM

Panzer
It looks like it was COMODO Firewall. But somehow any time I start a comp, it asks me if I trust Kmeleon. So I have to set it up every time.

Does COMODO provide an option to save/remember your selection? If not, I would definitely get a different firewall, such as the free version of Zone Alarm which many people (including myself) use with no problems. Even the Windows Firewall provides an option to save exceptions.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: November 18, 2008 04:29PM

When it ask me what should I do when Kmeleon starts, I set Kmeleon as a trusted programm. But it did not do a trick so I set it up in settings. I rarely use internet on my home comp because I have only dial-up so it is of no importance. But I wont change Comodo yet since it is still one of three best firewalls around at the moment.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.