DJVU files: no longer able to open
Posted by: CG
Date: November 15, 2008 03:02AM

I've just installed K-Meleon and find that I now unable to open DJVU files on my computer. Even if I use the existing IE as my browser rather than K-Meleon I still can't open them, even though they opened without a problem with IE previously before I installed K-Meleon. Help please, as I need to access to several different DJVU files for my work.

DJVU files: no longer able to open
Posted by: cgichard
Date: November 15, 2008 03:04AM

I've just installed K-Meleon and find that I now unable to open DJVU files on my computer. Even if I use the existing IE as my browser rather than K-Meleon I still can't open them, even though they opened without a problem with IE previously before I installed K-Meleon. Help please, as I need to access to several different DJVU files for my work.

Re: DJVU files: no longer able to open
Posted by: cgichard
Date: November 15, 2008 04:00AM

Apologies for the double post (I wasn't sure if my first post would work as I wasn't logged in to the forum).

Here's the error message I'm getting:

java.io.IOException: Invalid DjVu File Format
at com.lizardtech.djvu.Document.read(Unknown Source)
at com.lizardtech.djvu.Document.init(Unknown Source)
at com.lizardtech.djvubean.DjVuBean.setURL(Unknown Source)
at com.lizardtech.djvubean.DjVuViewport.setURL(Unknown Source)
at com.lizardtech.djview.Applet.getDjVuBean(Unknown Source)
at com.lizardtech.djview.Applet.init(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

The same message appears at all the DJVU documents I try to open. I went to the LizardTech page and downloaded the DJVU reader and installed it again (although it must be somewhere on my computer as I was able to view these documents previously without a problem when I had only IE on my system).

Posted by: disrupted
Date: November 15, 2008 07:56AM

hi cgi. i'm not sure i follow. you open djvu documents inside the browser using a plugin? if that's the case.. please post a link where you've downloaded the plugin, i went to the lizardtech site http://www.lizardtech.com/products/ but couldn't find a djvu plugin.

the errors you've posted appear to be related to java runtime not djvu per se.. the latest java jre apparently has issues with k-meleon.
unable to open them with ie is strange when you were able to before because kmeleon has no effect whatsoever on how ie functions.. did you install other programs when you've installed kmeleon or did you recently update your java?

also needed, you windows version, your ie version and your java version (control panel>java>general tab>about)

EDIT: until your problem is addressed/resolved, can you please save djvu documents locally and open them with this viewer: http://windjview.sourceforge.net/ (freeware)

EDIT2: you will also need to do this: open preferences in kmeleon(edit menu>preferences) under browsing, click on file handling and select 'by type' tab, in the types list, look for an entry called djvu documents or anything in that sense; double click on it and select : save them on my computer.. restart kmeleon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2008 08:15AM by disrupted.

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 15, 2008 08:40AM

CG

Make sure that DJVU is associated with Your Viewer Program. Right click a DJVU file and choose default handler. IMHO You have an OCX (IE plugin) installed that opened it in IE. To open in IE choose IE.

If You want K-Meleon to open DJVU?
You need Netscape type browser plugins for non IE browsers!
This info is true for all browser plugins and browsers.

Wikipedia: browser plugin for viewing DjVu: works on IE, Firefox and Safari, for Windows. You have to choose the setting install for Netscape or Netscape plugin - and/or check for config options.

p.s. Several Links to DJVU viewers and plugins are available @ DjVulibre. You can easily Google more. Irfan viewer has a plugin to open it and the viewer can normally reset registry setting and grab associations with two clicks.

Greetings to down under AU from DE

p.s. I joined these threads. Forum sometimes is slow sad smiley

It is not K-Meleon but a beginning registry problem when Windows loses info what MimeType is opened by which program. AFAIK K-Meleon installer does not temper with settings for DJVU. alain has not included changes for it.

Your error message seem to indicate that You use a plugin is coded in Java.
The Lizardtech Software should be in a Program files subdirectory - it may include a folder plugin... Maybe You must activate support for Netscape in Your Sun Java install BTW. You should not use MS JavaVirtualMachine. It has not been updated for security in ages and may not support Netscape plugin types.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2008 10:59AM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.