Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
K-M will not allow me to change the name of a directory it creates until all instances of K-M are closed.
Posted by: norio1
Date: March 19, 2009 04:07PM

K-Meleon 1.5.2 will not allow me to change the name of a directory it creates until all instances of K-M are closed.
To replicate this problem:
1) Open more than one instance of K-M.
2) Use one to download a file, creating a directory in the "Save As" dialogue box.
3) Attempt to change the name of the directory while K-M is still open. It is not possible until all instances are closed.

This behavior does not occur in Mozilla 1.7.13 or in Firefox 3.06. Haven't tried it with SeaMonkey.

I didn't file a bug because the cause appears to be similar to what causes #1033 ("Cannot remove directory which was used for file download") or #1090 ("USB storage device can not 'stop safely' after saving a file to it from K-Meleon."). Should I file a bug?
Thanks,
Norio

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-M will not allow me to change the name of a directory it creates until all instances of K-M are closed.
Posted by: kko
Date: March 19, 2009 06:19PM

No, it's all the same bug.

Re: K-M will not allow me to change the name of a directory it creates until all instances of K-M are closed.
Posted by: caktus
Date: March 20, 2009 06:46PM

No problem here.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: March 15, 2010 04:29PM

Bump.

This bug (1033) has been around for 1 and a half years and it's still not fixed. I have confirmed that it still occurs with K-Meleon version 1.5.4. I can reproduce this bug on several computers here, including Dells, HPs and Lenovos, all running XP SP3.

When I download a file using K-Meleon and create a directory, and then use Process Explorer (gives me GUI interface for Handle), I confirm that K-Meleon has a handle open for the directory I created. When I attempt to modify the name, I get an error indicating "Cannot rename <directory name>: It is being used by another person or program. Close any program that might be using the file and try again." This message also occurs if I try to delete the directory.

This bug is a real problem. I do a lot of research using browsers and the internet, and often have several instances of a browser running at any one time, each with several tabs. It is a pain in the butt to have to close all the K-Meleon sessions so I can modify a file or directory name. Do you have any idea of when this bug might be addressed? Please? This bug is the only thing that keeps me using Opera instead.
Thanks!

Posted by: siria
Date: March 15, 2010 06:43PM

Sorry I know way too little about such stuff, and if it's a Mozilla bug there's probably not much to do about in KM. But if it gives you so much problems, have you ever tried a workaround? Still bothersome, but suppose less than closing and reopening new sessions. You need somewhere a real tiny file to download (zip?), and set e.g. a hotlink or a bookmark (with nickname) to that link. Then every time you need to rename something, click the hotlink/button/mouse gesture/bookmark-nick and download that pseudo-file first, to another location of course. Could be a matter of a few seconds, and I suppose the new download path could be set automatically by a macro, since there are lots of "download" prefs in "about:config". But seeing their number, and yet more in Mozilla prefs ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries ), perhaps it would already suffice to change one of those prefs?? Someone sure knows, just who tongue sticking out smiley

Date: March 15, 2010 07:01PM

Hi,
Thanks for the response. I'm assuming it's not a Mozilla bug since I couldn't replicate it in Mozilla or Firefox. Also thanks for the information--yeah I can come up with a workaround. In fact, I can close the handle using Process Explorer, and then I am able to change the name of the file and/or directory. And since I always have Process Explorer running, it's relatively easy. But I would really like to be able to recommend this browswer to others as an alternative to the bloatware otherwise known as IE or FF, and I can't until this is fixed, especially to other people who aren't as used to working around issues. But you're right, for myself I can ignore it, and continue using it--thanks for the reality check. smiling smiley

Date: March 15, 2010 07:38PM

Hmm, okay, but FF has a newer gecko engine. Have you tried KM16a3? smiling smiley It's not finished yet, but who knows...

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/bugs/viewbug.php?bugid=1033
dorian
2008-08-27 10:15:07
Only happen when you're an administrator
Happen in mfcembed -> flagged as mozilla bug
Should be tested with seamonkey

Date: March 15, 2010 08:56PM

Hi, you're way ahead of me--that was my next stop. The same thing happens in the latest version of K-M 1.6 which I just downloaded a few minutes ago. Process Explorer shows an open handle for the directory created by K-M, and I can't modify or delete the directory until I close all instances. I just downloaded SeaMonkey and was not able to replicate the problem in version 2.0.3. And it happens in any account--Administrator, Power User, User, and happens on FAT32 and NTFS disks. I have a Win2k system at home, and I'm pretty sure it happens there too. Thanks for your help!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2010 09:01PM by norio1.

Date: March 15, 2010 09:43PM

GRMPF... Pity! :-/
By the way I don't have that problem (on 98se grinning smiley)

Date: March 15, 2010 09:51PM

win98se LOL! Well, at least it's SE!
Thanks for trying and for your help. I can live with it. :cool:

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.