Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
K-Meleon freeze
Posted by: Rodger
Date: May 30, 2009 05:18PM

Hi,
I have a problem.
Since 2 month K-Meleon freeze sometimes.
I have test it with K-Meleon 1.5.2 und 1.5.3

It freezes sometimes when I click on "Favorites" click and then select a link
Has anyone else this problem?

I use Win XP Pro SP3 und IE7

Have

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2009 09:04PM by Rodger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon freeze
Posted by: desga2
Date: May 30, 2009 07:45PM

Could be for SP3 updated?
Are you tried with a new K-Meleon profile?

Change to Bookmarks tongue sticking out smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: disrupted
Date: May 30, 2009 08:40PM

does it happen with all links in favourites? or did you notice a pattern with some links only? like maybe links with non-latin characters?

also what happened before those 2 months..did you do any major system updates etc..desga has a point..maybe related to sp3 or ie7 upgrade or how the favorites plugin works in relation to those updates.

also try a new profile and see if it still freezes..i'd also direct the favourites plugin to a different new favourites folder (favorites menu?settings>favourites directory>enter new path) then try adding new shortcuts to the new folder and see if the freeze still happens..
also..how many shortcut links and folders have you got in favorites?

Date: May 30, 2009 09:10PM

Hi,
I hope I have all understand because I am German.

What do you means with "Could be for SP3 updated"???

I happens with all links.
I click on "Favoriten", then I move over a folder and sometimes K-Meleon freeze.
Its not only when I click on a link. It happens when I moved over a folder/link too.

I have installed Win XP SP3 since December 2008.
It worked good.
I only installed the microsoft updates.

I didn`t test it with a new profil.
I have 500 favorites.

Posted by: Paul
Date: May 31, 2009 03:15PM

Hi Rodger,

Your engish is more than adequate, I can't help you but if you prefer to post in the German language you are welcome too.

There are some very good users on here who will help you and their mother tongue is also German.

Paul smiling smiley

Posted by: JamesD
Date: May 31, 2009 05:44PM

@ Rodger

I have not noticed any problem using favorites with KM 1.5.2 or 1.5.3 on my XP SP3 OS. When you say "freeze" do you mean KM just stops completely or does it eventually continue? Do you get any error message when the freeze occurs? Just to be very clear, we are discussing IE Favorites and not bookmarks, are we not?

Date: May 31, 2009 06:24PM

Hi,
Yes K-Meleon stops. No website will be loaded.
I can only work more, when I close K-Meleon and open K-Meleon again.
There is no message.
Yes I have activate the IE favorites (.url)

Date: May 31, 2009 10:13PM

i think the problem could be related to either the number of favourites or a certain favorite link with maybe bad name characters causing this freeze, but first try toggling the menuspillover on and off in favourites optiones (height of screen) change number for spillover etc

if this doesn't work then try this, create a new folder anywhere you like..then open favorites settings like this:

in the settings dialog direct the favorites folder to the new folder you've created.

close kmeleon.

now copy some avoruties maybe 20 at first from your default favourites folder to the new folder you've created..then open kmeleon and try to surf to one of those favourites..if it freezes right away, then it's most probably bad profile or maybe the favorites kplugin got corrupted somehow.. in that case create a new profile from edit> manage profiles>create new(ask at startup check)

restart kmeleon.. now it will ask to select which profile..select the newly created profile.. now check if it freezes when opening a favourite link..if it does, then download 1.5.3 german locale.7z package and extract the favorites plugin dll and save it to k-meleon\kplugins folder.

if kmeleon doesn't freeze with the first step when you've copied only 20 shortcuts to the newly assigned favourites folder..then that's good news and it's probably either number of favs or bad link causing a rendering problem when you click the favourites menu and triggering the freeze. close kmeleon and start adding 20 links each time restarting kmeleon and checking if its freezing or not.. once it freezes, then close kmeleon..and right click in windows explorer window and select undo copy..this will remove those last 20 links you've just added..skip those 20 and add another 20 excluding those last 20..run kmeleon and check if it freezes..if it doesn't..then add all the rest of the remaining shortcuts.. test again by running kmeleon and check it freezes..hopefully it won;t..then go back to the 20 links that triggered the freeze and start adding them one by one..everytime running kmeleon and testing for the freeze..once it freezes you will know the bad shortcut and you can delete or rename it.

in case it freezes after a certain number of added links..then it could be the number of links or subfolders in favourites..in that case..try removing 20 links and run kmeleon and check for the freeze.

Date: June 12, 2009 10:18AM

Maybe...Just maybe...He means "stall"

1.5.3 Does that from time to time....

Why??

Beats me..

I am actually thinking to revert back to 1.5.2

My favorite forums
http://www.graphixanstuff.com
http://www.closeprotectionworld.co.uk/index.php?referrerid=11530

Posted by: caktus
Date: June 12, 2009 04:23PM

desga2
Could be for SP3 updated?

No problems with 1.5.2 and SP3 here.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: Very Confused
Date: June 30, 2009 04:29PM

Hello to all. I have been following this problem on this thread
and on this thread http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,93520,page=1
I have the frequent freezing problem on K-Meleon, KMLite, K-Ninja
and Firefox. I do not have the problem with XP service pack 1.
With service pack 2 and 3 the problem is awful.
But I cannot use sp1 as many of my softwares will not work
with it. Also I have tried several versions back before the
current K-Meleon. They all do this. Also I have tried several
regular and portable versions so I know nothing is corrupted.
I have the problem without even messing eith the Favorites.
And I have even deleted all the Favorites. This helped nothing.
Also I do not run anything else when I run K-Meleon.
Anyway this is a very large computer as far as processor speed
and memory goes. But when the freeze occurs the memory usage
skyrockets.
Any ideas sad smiley

Date: June 30, 2009 04:32PM

Sorry. This sentence: I have the problem without even messing eith the Favorites.
should say: I have the problem without even messing with the Favorites.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 30, 2009 05:58PM

I am not sure if this is the same thing you see or not. Sometimes when I click on a link I just don't get there. I have found that this happens when I do a very fast click. If I then do a click where I hold the button down longer, I get going quite fast. On the fast click, I do see the hourglass cursor.

Date: July 01, 2009 12:45AM

Yes, James that happens too. Also I have the hourglass cursor
popping up every few seconds regardless of what I am doing.
I am wondering if I may have to delete all of my Favorites,
Bookmarks and Hotlist. sad smiley I am at a loss as to what to do
next.

Date: September 20, 2009 09:56AM

Has anoyone a solution?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2009 09:56AM by Rodger.

Date: September 20, 2009 07:12PM

i think since very few have reported such a crash and you seem to have sp3 in common with 'very confused', then this crash is more than likely related to sp3 than kmeleon itself.

remeber when sp3 was first out, it was a mess and in a way still is with certain hardware.. back then, ms listed on their site the incompatibilities. sp3 crippled hp printer drivers, crippled ati based graphics drivers and completely rendered amd athlon cpu computers useless. if you ask me..this sounded more like a virus than a true update. it made your expensive graphics card no much better than a savage 3d 8bit using the generic xp driver, your hp printers unusable and if you had an amd pc..then bye bye.

later some of these issues were remedied, some by ms themselves like fixing amd problems..some by the manufacturers like hp offering driver updates that work with sp3..and some partially fixed like with ati drivers, where the driver will work but the ati programs cataylst or hydradm becoming only half functional.. so it's still a botched updated even if it only affects certain hardware and works fine with other configurations.

this is from personal experience: couple of months ago i was at a friend who uses kmeleon and there was something very strange about it..it felt slow with certain jerkiness when selecting menus or clicking buttons..it almost felt like firefox grinning smiley

when i asked him what was wrong with his pc(a quite capable dual p4 and actual dual cpu;s not dualcore or other virtual nonsense).. he proudly confessed that this happened right after he installed sp3.. a must he sez to keep the system updated with the latest patches.. well, that;s actually not so true since you can download all the xp security updates and fixes separately and you'll pretty much have your own version of sp3 without the other rubbish that causes problems. and this is what he did, i showed him the links to get all the needed updates..he uninstalled sp3 and applied the patches separately and his system was as good as new.. honestly his km didn't crash but it didn't work quite right with sp3(along with other net-related programs)

try to do this..first, for rest assurance; make a restore point for your current system then remove sp3..reboot your computer and test km for couple of days..if it doesn't crash then you have pinpointed the problem..keep your system with sp2 and download all the security updates and patches that come with sp3 separetly from ms site..they are all available for free without charge.

Posted by: jc
Date: September 28, 2009 06:38PM

New to K-Meleon use, just passing through the forum, saw this thread and thought I should chime in because I'm also looking for a solution to this "stall" problem and I'm not using SP3.

My system: XP SP-2 (patches up-to-date), AMD Athlon (1.3G, 256M), K-Meleon 1.5.3.

After browsing for about an hour, opening between 5 & 10 tabs in 3 windows on 4 or 5 sites, K-Meleon keeps spiking my CPU so that it becomes "normal" for keystrokes to take several seconds to echo to the screen. Task Manager graph shows a cycle approx 5 seconds long, fluctuating between sub-10% CPU usage and 100%, where the 100% is 2 or 3 seconds long (in other words, the valleys are spikey but the peaks have flat tops). Process memory usage, around 75M, is good. K-Meleon is the only app running.

It's not this way at launch: when it launches the peak is a spike, usually around the 30% mark, then deteriorates over time. Workaround is to retart K-Meleon every hour or so (which is becoming a nuisance).

Tried downgrading to 1.5.2, same problem.

If anybody finds a better workaround, please sing out. (Firefox is too fat, and Opera doesn't play nice with Yahoo! mail - I feel like I'm running low on browser options)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.