Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
CSS rendering problems
Posted by: melonhead
Date: December 01, 2009 05:14PM

If the Gecko engine is the same as that used in Firefox, why are some CSS not rendered correctly (as per Firefox)? Examples: inline-block treated as block, same for inline-table and a mysterious problem with disappearing floats.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CSS rendering problems
Posted by: siria
Date: December 01, 2009 06:36PM

Maybe some different settings in the prefs? But perhaps rather the newer Gecko engine in current firefox. KM has yet a bit catching up to do there, but from what I read there were too drastic changes between gecko 1.8 and 1.9, that makes things rather complicated, for the only 1-2 current KM developers who do this in their spare time. Oops, rethinking again, I learned just recently that KM does NOT use the firefox gecko, but the seamonkey gecko! But still the same problem with that major gecko change.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 01, 2009 06:39PM

There are a couple of things that might come into play here. One is that KM and FF no longer use the same engine. KM uses the engine from the SeaMonkey line. Two is how you noticed the difference. If you use FF the web site might send a different version of the file than if you use KM. They should not send different code but I don't know accuracy of their sniffer code.

Try to see the site with a SeaMonkey user agent and compare.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: December 01, 2009 08:21PM

there are a lot of advances in css rendering in gecko 1.9 but nothing really that will make a site unreadable or effectively change the layout with a 1.8 engine.. it's mostly things like text manipulation and special effects.. the main difference that can actually mess up rendering is css transforms which isn't supported at all by 1.8 .. very few sites have impemented css transforms and just for testing/developing etc.. it's not a widespread thing yet.

the most likely reason is that a website not identifying kmeleon as a gecko browser and sending it to a wrong(ie) or older css file.. try changing the useragent (tools>useragent) to firefox and see if there are still differences.

Posted by: melonhead
Date: December 01, 2009 08:22PM

Thanks for the quick & informative replies.

The inline-block elements displaying as block are definitely not browser sniffing problems because I created a couple of simple webpages on my local server to verify before posting.

Posted by: Mark
Date: April 03, 2011 07:06AM

Hi, was this problem ever fixed ? I am seeing it with the latest version of k-melon.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: April 03, 2011 12:44PM

Mark
Hi, was this problem ever fixed ? I am seeing it with the latest version of k-melon.

Mark,

Can anyone post some URLs?

N

Posted by: K@
Date: April 03, 2011 05:44PM

Try using the top-most menu, here:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?

Posted by: siria
Date: April 03, 2011 05:49PM

The top menu, with download, customize, support...? Seems to work perfect for me. Am on the latest version too, KM1.6beta2 with a few more updates.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: April 03, 2011 05:54PM

K@

Not seeing that behavior on my XP PRO SP3 machine using K-Meleon Beta 2 tweaked:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19pre) Gecko K-Meleon/1.6.0

N

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 03, 2011 07:17PM

In 2009 (December 01, 2009 06:14PM) the initial assumption was that Firefox and K-Meleon had the same Gecko engine and thus the same CSS layout. At that time most Firefox browsers did AFAIK not have the same Gecko engine anymore.

We were fully aware that some pages did not support Gecko 1.8 then and some pages had faulty browser switches and send users a page coded for another browser.

So the question: "Hi, was this problem ever fixed ? I am seeing it with the latest version of k-melon." is IMHO a bit off mark.

So this was never a K-Meleon bug to be fixed. & I wonder whether these page owner fix their pages and their browser switches & whether anyone went there to remind them.

ndebord
K@

Not seeing that behavior on my XP PRO SP3 machine using K-Meleon Beta 2

Spoofing Firefox 2 is IMHO sufficient.

Since it seems to work for me: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.25pre) Gecko/20100308 K-Meleon/1.5.4 not Firefox/2.0.0.25pre

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2011 07:27PM by guenter.

Date: April 04, 2011 09:01AM

I'll try the spoof and see how it goes.

Ta!

Date: April 04, 2011 09:16AM

Ah... I'll have to figure-out how to correct an "XML parsing error:Undefined entity" error in kmprefs, first... sad smiley

Date: April 04, 2011 09:32AM

Nope.

Clean install of v1.5.4 and it's still not allowing me to select anything but the first option in that menu.

Tried using both FF and SM as user-agents.

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 04, 2011 08:36PM

It definitely lets me switch menu items (starting left to right or out of order) with 1.5.4 and 1.6beta2. No idea why You do not have the same results with 1.5.4. My guess customizations in my version.

With K-Meleon 1.5.4 it also has some CSS glitches/errors due to the older CSS implementation.

Example: 1.5.4 cannot go to Customize, Submenu: Themes and Upgrades.
They vanish before they can be chosen.

With K-Meleon 1.6beta2 this problem is not encountered.

The menu item Online Maual shows errors in both K-Meleon versions.

1.6.b2 shows the same errors as FF with 1.9.x and 2.0 engine.
1.5.4 shows the errors differently.

Since they appear in all Gecko based browsers they are IMHO site specific errors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2011 08:38PM by guenter.

Posted by: desga2
Date: April 04, 2011 09:39PM

Please try with a new profile in K-Melon 1.6beta2.
Check that you have JavaScript enabled, Tools -> Privacy -> Block JavaScript (unchecked)
Are you using some extension, as adblock plus or noscript?
Are you using some Adblock CSS filter or User-Defined StyleSheet?
What Windows version are you using?

K-Meleon in Spanish

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.