Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Posted by: po
Date: September 28, 2001 04:40AM

i hope i can articulate this in a meaningful way:

i'm aware that using a browser with images disabled doesn't appeal to a lot of people, but it's an important option when you have a really slow connection and an aging hard drive. i'm thrilled that the new version (.5) has this capability; it means i can use k-meleon most of the time now, and that gives me the warm fuzzies. i think, though, that the way this feature is implemented could be improved a great deal in the following ways:

first, give the option of image placeholders. this is important for more than just page formatting; on some pages, text links are altogether absent, making it necessary to "use the force", hovering over button-sized placeholders while watching the status bar for helpful clues. of course sometimes this doesn't tell you much, so...

2). allow individual images to be downloaded/viewed *in place* when necessary, with a right-click option as per IE, or any other clever way you can think of. i initially thought that this was what the "view image" menu item would do, but it opens the image in a new window instead, and doesn't even do that if the "don't load images" preference is enabled (apparently, it means don't display ANY images, EVER).

if you can pull that off, i would probably never use anything else.

as it is, it's still a great little browser, and i thank you for it.

po

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: images: to view or not to view?
Posted by: Jeff
Date: September 28, 2001 04:59AM

Unfortunately, as mozilla-embeddors, we really have no means of changing "page layout" (ie placeholder for images). This all handled through the internal mozilla engine, so you'll be much better off submititng the request in <a href="bugzilla.mozilla.org">bugzilla</a>. If it makes it into mozilla, it will subsequently make it into K-Meleon.

-- Jeff

Posted by: scratch
Date: September 28, 2001 05:23AM

It's been requested, many times. Apparently it doesn't comply with the HTML standard.

Date: September 28, 2001 06:33AM

really? placeholders aren't compliant? that's... hmmm.

well, anyway, maybe there could still be something between "load site images" and "don't load images"... you could still enable right-click individual viewing, right?

then the fun part would be finding them... :-)

po

Date: September 28, 2001 06:54AM

after a little further thought (five minutes worth), it seems kinda silly - when image loading is enabled, the browser produces image placeholders, and procedes to fill them... on a connection as slow as mine, this process is painfully apparent. it doesn't seem like a formatting issue at all; wouldn't it be possible (and this, again, may be better directed at the mozilla folks- if so, forgive me) to procede as if image loading were enabled, but only up to the point of displaying the placeholders that the engine already does, and stop there? this would, i imagine, involve loading just the image INFORMATION... the image dimension info must be standards compliant - it's obviously being used to format the page when images ARE being loaded. am i making any sense? it's possible that i'm simply being ignorant here, and if that's the case, again, forgive me. it just SEEMS like it could be done.

in any case, it's a great browser. thanks again.

po

Posted by: Don Carrico
Date: September 30, 2001 12:55AM

Where is the toggle images on/off button ??? Hint.Hint.

Thank you for your time and effort.

Don Carrico

&lt;continuing rant&gt; images
Date: September 30, 2001 06:02AM

ok... here's what i've come up with (ah, adaptability): if i use the browser with images enabled, and hover vigilantly over the escape key as the page loads, i can hit it as soon as the images start to load, and am left with a page with image placeholders, much as produced by IE (minus the alt text)... i don't see how this really has anything to do with formatting at all, or why automating the process would constitute non-standard behavior. incidentally, is the lack of alt text implementation due to the state of mozilla, too? (i'm not from the netscape camp, and it isn't really feasible for me to start messing with mozilla at the moment... that's part of the reason i like kmeleon so much.)

po

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.