Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
allow download dialog to steal focus?
Posted by: po
Date: October 09, 2001 09:37PM

i love the new download dialog, but one thing i miss about the IE version is that if you don't have it set to close on completion, it pops to the top to get your attention when it's done... this is especially handy when you auto-hide your taskbar.

--- po

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: allow download dialog to steal focus?
Date: October 17, 2001 06:28AM

also...

the estimated download rate that it starts out at is kinda high... on a really slow connection, it takes quite a while to balance out... and it seems to me that it would be on really slow connections that this information is most valuable (although that's certainly a biased opinion). is there any way of improving on this?

--- po

Posted by: Brian
Date: October 17, 2001 06:52AM

Quick explanation on why it starts so high:
The file starts downloading as soon as you click the link. The whole time you are browsing for a place to put it, the file is being downloaded to a temporary file. By the time you select a nice spot and a good filename, a good chunk of the file has already been downloaded. The problem is the dialog box starts it's estimations from when the box was created. So according to the dialog box, you just got a LOT of file in a small amount of time. This is partially a problem with mozilla where it doesn't store the "download started" time properly, and partially a problem with k-meleon not comensating for mozilla's fault.

Date: October 17, 2001 11:55AM

hmm... yeah, kmeleon does seem eager to start downloading things, whether your quite ready or not... i suppose people would get upset if it waited for you to make a bunch of clunky human decisions... ;-)

oh well... thanks for the explanation... i never woulda figured that out.

--- po

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.