Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
User Agent
Posted by: crabboy
Date: March 13, 2010 10:30AM

Please give more options! I have 1.1.6 as well as 1.5.4. In the older version, user agent strings for IE and Opera were offered. I know there is a "Custom" setting, but it is a pain to use. And, when I check "Return To Default On Exit", the user string I've added is not remembered. So - A string for IE8 and Firefox 3.x would be greatly appreciated!

K-Meleon is still my favorite browser, after trying many others. The fact that some sites are too lazy to recognize KM as a "legitimate" browser irritates me to no end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2010 10:35AM by crabboy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More User Agents
Posted by: siria
Date: March 13, 2010 12:58PM

It's so easy (if one knows how to :coolsmiling smiley, sorry you had so much trouble ;-)

The list is stored in the file K-Meleon/defaults/pref/I10n.js
Since changes there get overwritten from new installations, one day I simply tried if it might work to put additional ones in a separate file, and bingo - it does smiling smiley

Just create a new text file, name it any way you like but with ending .js and put it in that same folder (mine is I10n_useragentsmore.js). Put as many agents in there as you like and restart the browser, that's all. Those prefs will automatically be used for new profiles as well. And even after updating to new KM versions, they will still be there smiling smiley

Choose some nice strings from e.g. http://whatsmyuseragent.com/CommonUserAgents.asp or very detailed here http://useragentstring.com/pages/useragentstring.php

Just for example my collections over time, but in no way representative

/*****************************************************************/

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent3.name", "Opera 9.23 - XP - EN");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent3.string", "Opera/9.23 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en)");

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent4.name", "MSIE 7.0 - XP");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent4.string", "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1)");

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent5.name", "Firefox 3.5.5 - XP - US - 1.9.1.5");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent5.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5");

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent6.name", "Opera10 - Linux - US - Presto 2.2 - KM1.6");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent6.string", "Opera/10.00 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Presto/2.2.0 K-Meleon/1.6");

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent7.name", "ORI: KM 160 - win98 - US - Gecko 1919pre");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent7.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.9.1.9pre) Gecko K-Meleon/1.6.0");

/***************************************************************/

IMPORTANT:
Check the counter numbers! Make sure they have no 'holes', or the rest of the entries will not show up anymore in the menu. On the other hand if some are double, e.g. 1-4 in the default I10n.js, and 2-8 in this extra sheet, than the duplicates seem to be ignored, but fortunately don't seem to cause major errors.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 07:50AM by siria.

Posted by: desga2
Date: March 13, 2010 01:53PM

Also you can read this old post about it: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,81594,81602#msg-81602

Or try this Extension: Auto Agentswitch

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: siria
Date: March 13, 2010 03:36PM

Couldn't resist, have added another mini-macro to edit the UA list, as described in my posting above :cool:

So this adds another menu entry "CUSTOM edit entries" in the UA menu. Clicking it opens the text file with the listing.
To get that mini-macro and learn how to use it, scroll up to read the first posting in that thread:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,103064,104363#msg-104363

Posted by: jsnj
Date: March 13, 2010 09:30PM

or useragentstring.com

Posted by: crabboy
Date: March 14, 2010 04:37AM

siria
It's so easy (if one knows how to :coolsmiling smiley, sorry you had so much trouble ;-)...

I couldn't get new strings to "take". But I got yours to work! Thanks!

But please...in 1.6...newer choices?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 04:40AM by crabboy.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.