Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
HTML5 Support
Posted by: ryan14
Date: March 27, 2010 02:53PM

K-Meleon should have full HTML5 support. Other web browsers do. Also, you should implement the HTML5 video tag that YouTube uses here:

http://www.youtube.com/html5

It should support Windows 98SE,Windows ME,XP, Vista, 7

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2010 02:54PM by ryan14.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HTML5 Support
Posted by: guenter
Date: March 27, 2010 07:33PM

ryan14
K-Meleon should have full HTML5 support. Other web browsers do. Also, you should implement the HTML5 video tag that YouTube uses here:

1.) Future K-Meleon (1.6.x) version is based on Mozilla's Gecko Rendering Engine 1.9.x. So it will support HTML5.

2.) Windows 9x including ME do not support all features needed for HTML5.
They are not supported in their default configuration by Mozilla GRE 1.9.x.
Users will have to install an addition from the KerneleX project.

AFAIK MS would not even let users directly install the VC8 runtimes in Win9x/ME.
VC 8 is the official default compiler for all 1.9.x Geckos.

For further info I recommend K-meleon 1.6 on Kernelex WIN ME / 98.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2010 07:35PM by guenter.

Posted by: ryan14
Date: March 28, 2010 04:04AM

guenter
ryan14

1.) Future K-Meleon (1.6.x) version is based on Mozilla's Gecko Rendering Engine 1.9.x. So it will support HTML5.

2.) Windows 9x including ME do not support all features needed for HTML5.
They are not supported in their default configuration by Mozilla GRE 1.9.x.
Users will have to install an addition from the KerneleX project.

AFAIK MS would not even let users directly install the VC8 runtimes in Win9x/ME.
VC 8 is the official default compiler for all 1.9.x Geckos.

For further info I recommend K-meleon 1.6 on Kernelex WIN ME / 98.

I have another suggestion. Why doesn't K-meleon 1.6 for WIN ME / 98 integrate Kernelex into it? So Kernelex will only be activated when K-meleon 1.6 is open, and when K-meleon 1.6 is closed, then Kernelex will close. Could you do this?

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 28, 2010 09:41AM

K-Meleon is no system vendor. And the project does not have the manpower and resources. There is even no K-Meleon dev that uses win9x anymore. How do You test - kernelex on a virtual system?

Installer size will become very & perhaps too big! Some PPL are still on modem.
It also becomes more complicated more things to test & to go wrong. alain already has to integrate installing from Linux & NT-Windows7. He already has problems to get testers for that.

What would be with sufficiant manpower and resources?
There are more promising options to pursue than kernelex.
You could try with an altered GRE version.

p.s. Kernelex twice ruined my ME system.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2010 10:03AM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: March 28, 2010 02:01PM

Guenter, I never had any problems with KEx on win98se, quite the opposite, love it smiling smiley

Only the last time when I wanted to change the default setting, it was my own stupidity to uninstall and then directly install it again, without the restart in between, that it had requested - the result was at first slightly scary, LOL! But after doing nothing but restarting twice everything was fine again, ouff... But really, that was my own laziness *oops*
Otherwise it's a pure miracle tool to me, just amazing what it can do, a real life saver for win9x :cool: Without it the gecko 1.9 browsers like KM and FF and some other proggies would never run.

The size is no prob, only tiny 200 kB, so that wouldn't be any problem for dialup, but really, in a browser one cannot possibly include a tool that changes so deeply the operating system, and -depending on setup choice- may affect all other programs too! That would be nonsense!

What I would find most useful though is to include a note and a link to KernelEx (to forum and download), if at KM install an old system is detected.

And I would recommand the KEx general setting that enables it only manually, for single programs that turn out not to run without it. Otherwise, if it's by default enabled for the whole system, some genuine win9x progs may not run anymore, although some modern others may run better. But if anything has starting problems, the user must be aware where to look for solutions, that he can simply set another virtual OS environment, another "compatibility", in the file properties of the programs exe. From own experience I can say it's way too easy to forget this quickly, so better not risk anyone thinking in the first shock "KM ruined my system, not even my old programs run anymore" ;-)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.