Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Vertical tab bar - scrollable if possible
Posted by: zorobabel
Date: June 04, 2010 06:23AM

I'm one of those people with tens of tabs open... and the current horizontal tab bar with the popup tabs just doesn't cut it. So please make it scrollable!
And with today's widescreens it would be real nice to have the tabs vertical on the left - if one chooses so. You get to see a proper tab title, and with widescreens you don't really lose horizontal space with most websites. Please do it, even without the scrollable part!
Thanks for reading this!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vertical tab bar - scrollable if possible
Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 04, 2010 11:24AM

@ zorobabel

If you click on an empty space on the tab bar or click VIEW - TABS on the menu, you will get a dropdown menu which has an item called Tabs. Clicking that will open Tablist which has the full name of all your tabs. A checkmark is by the tab which is in focus.

Date: June 04, 2010 05:57PM

Thanks for the reply JamesD.
Unfortunately there is no empty space space on my tab bar smiling smiley, so the easy way of doing it isn't an option for me.
Now, going through the menu does display the tablist... but as you can imagine not all my tabs fit in there, and I can't scroll through them with the mouse sad smiley. But I can scroll with the up/down on the keyboard. It just gets so involved...

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 04, 2010 10:26PM

try the used space of the tab bar smiling smiley

gosh, U must have loads of tabs. ;D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2010 10:28PM by guenter.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 04, 2010 10:42PM

Now, going through the menu does display the tablist... but as you can imagine not all my tabs fit in there, and I can't scroll through them with the mouse sad smiley.

Place the mouse pointer on the triangle which is not greyed out and hold down the button. Triangles show at top left and bottom left of list of tabs.

Date: June 05, 2010 12:29AM

Thanks guys.
@guenter - I found out about the right click tab to find the tablist.

@JamesD - I noticed the little arrows, but they are hard to use IMO

I can't seem to find a command for tablist so I can assign a shortcut (keyboard or mouse). If there isn't one ... well that's another improvement request smiling smiley.

Posted by: siria
Date: June 05, 2010 07:54AM

Well, I understand and sure support your request, being a mass tab user myself :cool: Then again, my screen is too small anyway, but if I had a widescreen... oh yeah grinning smiley
Unfortunately can't imagine it will happen anytime soon, as long as we have that manpower prob and he or they are already working hard just trying to get the new gecko versions KM-like slim and fast, replacing that bloated sqlite and other new fundamental gecko stuff with own solutions (if I read that right from others in this forum :coolsmiling smiley

But hey, really:

I noticed the little arrows, but they are hard to use IMO

Menus hard to scroll? Come on... ;-) Even if you think so, but if the tabs list would be on the vertical side, you'd have to scroll that one too, no?

Unfortunately I don't know either how to put a menu (ANY menu) or pressed buttons into a macro command for a gesture or shortcut. That's beyond my limited knowledge, would suspect it requires a javascript or something...

If it helps anything, you could put the tabs list on a skin button (for example one of the tab/window buttons), but because the list needs constant updating, you could only put it on a button-right-click. Note that you get all button-right-click-menus also on left-click if you hold down for about a second. Not as confusing as it sounds now, LOL! Actually I have such a button myself in the skin. If you wanna try, click:

Edit > Configuration > Toolbars
In there find
Tab/&Window Buttons{ (or any other toolbar if you prefer)
and add "|T&abs" on a button of your choice, in the second line right after the normal command. Then this button will pop up the tabs list on right-click or long-click.

My personal button is a new one and goes like this:
PrevSelectedTab{
ID_TAB_LAST|T&abs
Jump between 2 last tabs (AltGr+TAcool smiley. Right-click for tabs list + options.

The problem is only, I really use it almost never, simply because it seems faster to just right-click on any tab in the row and use the normal way than first moving the mouse to a single button... And no way to put it on a gesture :-(

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2010 07:56AM by siria.

Date: June 07, 2010 05:13PM

Thanks a lot siria. I used your idea, and I now get the tablist by right clicking the home button - useless for me otherwise. I prefer this to right clicking a tab and going over to the tabs item.

siria
But hey, really:
Menus hard to scroll? Come on... ;-) Even if you think so, but if the tabs list would be on the vertical side, you'd have to scroll that one too, no?

What I really meant is: it's hard to move through the tablist. It can't be scrolled. But I guess holding down the left click on the little triangles isn't that bad really.

Oh, and on K-Meleon 1.6a4 right clicking on the next / previous tab gets you the tablist. Good work there! Now it needs a button just for that.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2010 05:57PM by zorobabel.

Posted by: desga2
Date: June 11, 2010 10:29PM

zorobabel
Oh, and on K-Meleon 1.6a4 right clicking on the next / previous tab gets you the tablist. Good work there! Now it needs a button just for that.

This isn't new, is included in right clicking on the next/previous tab toolbar button since 1.5 versions.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: JackPots
Date: June 25, 2010 05:18PM

I get from the preceeding posts that vertical tabs are not yet implemented. So...

1. Is vertical tabs possible with some minimal configuration?
2. Has anyone successfully used "Tree Style Tabs," "Tab Kit" or similar Firefox add-ons with KM?
3. Does anyome know how to port those add-ons to KM?

Thanks.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: June 26, 2010 06:01PM

1=impossible, kmeleon uses winapi , as native it uses the toolbarwindow widget from windows os to draw the tabs. it's not possible to manipulate this unless microsfot changes its code
2+3= impossible, same reason as above, all xul ui addons will not work in kmeleon. mozilla/firefox uses xul for tabs..that makes it possible to change their appearance any way they like because it's not a real interface..with xul, tabs bar can be drawn vertically or horizontally easily..even diagonally if they want. no respectable browser with real ui will allow that(kmeleon, opera, etc etc).. so you have to make a choice between pseudo ui that can manipulate toolbars in many ways(with memory leaks in many ways) or real ui without weird gimmicks.

Posted by: JackPots
Date: June 29, 2010 12:14AM

disrupted
1=impossible, kmeleon uses winapi , as native it uses the toolbarwindow widget from windows os to draw the tabs. it's not possible to manipulate this unless microsfot changes its code
2+3= impossible, same reason as above, all xul ui addons will not work in kmeleon. mozilla/firefox uses xul for tabs..that makes it possible to change their appearance any way they like because it's not a real interface..with xul, tabs bar can be drawn vertically or horizontally easily..even diagonally if they want. no respectable browser with real ui will allow that(kmeleon, opera, etc etc).. so you have to make a choice between pseudo ui that can manipulate toolbars in many ways(with memory leaks in many ways) or real ui without weird gimmicks.

Thanks for the response: concise and clear.
I get the argument, however, note that Opera has somehow achieved this feature.

Date: June 29, 2010 05:18PM

K-Meleon is based on MFC (Microsoft Foundation Class). That comes as part of Visual C.

I do not know about Opera's code bases, but it exist for several operation systems so it is based on another widget class not on MFC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2010 05:20PM by guenter.

Posted by: Hungryman
Date: June 30, 2010 11:23AM

I think The World Browser has this feature. Check this out http://download.theworld.cn/tw3/TheWorld_en_3.2.0.4.zip

It would be cool if K-meleon could do this as well. Wishful thinking. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: June 30, 2010 05:49PM

Hungryman

It would be cool if K-meleon could do this as well. Wishful thinking. tongue sticking out smiley

It does not mean: requires adding a feature but AFAIK requires reprogramming K-Meleon new with a new widget system.

Truly a big wish. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2010 06:08PM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: June 30, 2010 06:34PM

Well, just move the taskbar to the side, disable tabs and open windows instead for every single page :cool:

grinning smiley Just kidding, nonsense of course but couldn't resist tongue sticking out smiley grinning smiley

Date: July 02, 2010 09:33PM

@siria, ingenious - I should do a I found (via K-Meleon post) out today thread. grinning smiley

p.s. und wenn schon eine Änderung: abreißbare Tabs, die man überall hin hängen kann
mfG smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 02:13PM by guenter.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: July 03, 2010 10:12PM

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.