Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
CPU Usage
Posted by: Mr Cooper
Date: February 05, 2005 10:16PM

Hey, all!

I just noticed that when I go to http://free.grisoft.com/ the CPU usage skyrockets to 99%. If I open another layer and view some other webpage or just minimize it (ie. as long as it isn't displaying the page), the CPU usage drops back down low (between 2% and 5%, but not 0%). If I open Firefox and view the page, it uses about 70% of the CPU (minimizing or opening a new tab drops the usage to 0%). If I view the same page using Internet Explorer the CPU Usage stays at 0%. This sounds like a Mozilla engine problem to me. Anyone know why the CPU is used so much by that page? I'm going to have a look and see if any other pages do the same thing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CPU Usage
Posted by: Brian
Date: February 05, 2005 10:39PM

wow- yeah... it does the exact same thing on my computer. i'm guessing it's either something with the marquee.js script or something with the CSS that's causing the problem... but more likely than not, it's the marquee.js script causing all of these problems.

Brian

Posted by: ndebord
Date: February 06, 2005 02:01AM

Hmmm. I didn't see any change in usage when I went to Grisoft?

Wonder if it has anything to do with my using Single Window Mode?

N
Win98se

Posted by: dibbs
Date: February 06, 2005 03:17AM

same here 99%, using win xp

Date: February 06, 2005 07:50PM

Might it be linked to the scrolling text or some other "media-rich" feature?

Date: February 07, 2005 05:31AM

it's gotta be the marquee.js file causing something to go wrong. i'll download it and check it for any errors.

Brian

Date: February 07, 2005 05:35AM

anybody see any errors? I didn't see any:-(.. at least nothing that should stop it from working or cause any errors:

var DELAY = 32;
var STEP = 1;

var currL = 0;
var sprite;
var spriteWidth;
var frameWidth;

function initMarq()
{
frameWidth = parseInt( document.getElementById("tpthmarq").offsetWidth );
sprite = document.getElementById("tpthmarqins");
spriteWidth = parseInt( sprite.offsetWidth + 20 );
// if( spriteWidth < frameWidth )
// return;
currL = frameWidth;
scrollMarq();
}

function scrollMarq()
{
sprite.style.left = currL + "px";
currL = currL - STEP;
if ( currL + spriteWidth < 0 )
currL = frameWidth;
window.setTimeout( "scrollMarq();" , DELAY );
}

Brian

Posted by: Michael .H
Date: February 08, 2005 02:31AM

Sometimes occupied 100% cpu here sad smiley

Posted by: Michael .H
Date: February 08, 2005 02:33AM

And I find K-meleon proccess resident in monery even if I already close the K-meleon sad smiley

Date: February 08, 2005 09:28PM

Hmm... Whenever I close K-Meleon, it unloads itself from memory just fine. But anyhoo, I found another site which hogs the processor:
http://wine.msn.com/?article.aspx?aid=74

It's an MSN site, so I don't know how long the link will be valid. I wonder if it has to do with the scrolling media that both sites have?

Date: February 09, 2005 02:38AM

Coop,

I went to

http://wine.msn.com/?article.aspx?aid=74

Didn't see any decrease in system resources there either. Is this problem perhaps OS specific?

N
Win98se
dialup
Java and Popups disabled

Date: February 09, 2005 09:44PM

Perhaps. I'm running Windows 2000, SP4. It's been somewhat tweaked (a few registry entries, plus I've disabled many services I don't want). I haven't really tweaked or customized K-Meleon much beyond seeting up my bookmarks.

If I can generalize from what I've read in this thread, Win98SE has no problems displaying web pages, while the newer versions of Windows (2000, XP) occasionally run into a bug or something which causes the whole processor to be used for *something*. I wonder if it's hitting some sort of non-terminating loop somewhere? I dunno, just a guess. Oh - I'm on broadband internet, if that's useful information.

Date: February 10, 2005 04:10AM

Coop,

Well, we're gonna have to get more feedback from other users on this one, to see what effect OS has on this bug.

N

Posted by: everling
Date: February 12, 2005 02:46PM

For the wine.msn.com site, I think it's the Flash. My K-Meleon doesn't have the Flash plugin and didn't have abnormal proc usage, but it's opposite on my Firefox on both counts. It's not the first time that I noticed the behaviour.

For the free.grisoft.com site, ... it's a weird one. I saved the complete HTML, ran it and the problem remains. Good. But after a while of hacking it, it seems that the problem is caused only with the presence of multiple elements, removing any of them either reduces the proc usage or eliminates the problem (resulting in disabled marquee). I'm unable to isolate any particular problem.

Running on Win2K SP4.

Date: February 12, 2005 02:57PM

Sorry. By elements, I meant mostly by HTML elements. Removing blocks of HTML codes seems to have varying effects on the proc usage. Could it be the Gecko recalculating the elements? Removing the HTML stuff below the HTML for the marquee block seems to do nothing.

Posted by: myki
Date: February 24, 2005 09:35PM

I've got the same problem. Sometimes (usually one per 300 opened pages) browser eats all system resources for few seconds while loading any page in background. It __DOES NOT__ mean, what page is it. It appears on completely random pages.

Date: March 09, 2005 04:47AM

Concerning again, when I open it in Firefox 1.0.0, the same CPU usage problem occurs.

I did one more test with the HTML again, this time moving portions of the HTML, above and below the simulated marquee, to be outside of all the encapsulating < div > tags. Again the CPU usage dropped to minimum levels and Firefox also exhibits similar response as K-M 0.9. I think it's reasonable to conclude it's a Gecko engine issue.

Date: March 23, 2005 10:02PM

Does anyone have any confirmation on this (it being a Gecko engine error)? And does anyone running Win98 get this issue?

Don't waste your time
Posted by: somebody
Date: March 26, 2005 12:32AM

this is a very common problem for all gecko based browsers.

It's NOT related to operating system.
Some people get it and some don't. The reason is that gecko fucks cpu usage badly for users of some graphics cards, such as geforce 4 ti. geforce 3 users rarely have this problem, and even voodoo 5 users don't have it.

Why does this @!#$ happen? Don't ask me. Gecko somehow manages to @!#$ things up badly with its media processing stuff. Sites with many small pictures will @!#$ things up, sites with several flash elements will @!#$ things up.

What can you do? Get "gecko friendly card".
It's been confirmed many times, if you don't want to believe me, you don't have to, try and see for yourself.
I'm still waiting for a fix for this crazy issue.

Wanted : Gecko Friendly Graphic Cards
Posted by: Penang
Date: March 26, 2005 11:39AM

Any suggestions to the so-called "Gecko friendly graphic cards" ?

Thx !

Posted by: rmn
Date: March 26, 2005 04:19PM

Confirmed to be a Gecko bug as it also happens in Linux browsers (including Firefox).

Anyone care to report this to Moz's Bugzilla? (Or is it already reported?)

P.S. I'm using a GeForce2.

Date: April 11, 2005 11:31PM

I believe this issue has been reported at Mozilla. A search for "cpu usage" reveals a lot of hits, with this one in particular being interesting:
]https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=238448

Posted by: Penang
Date: April 12, 2005 05:07AM

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=238448 is indeed eyecatching, but the problem is on the linux side there are people reporting huge CPU usage, one even said the thing took several hours to render - and then there are people also using linux claiming that they don't see any increase in CPU usage at all !

So dunno what's is what for the moment. The only thing known is that it has something to do with Gecko, since K-Meleon is also affected.

Date: April 13, 2005 11:45PM

I guess only Gecko can fix this one then...
Anyone know if there's a fix being worked on?

Posted by: Russell
Date: May 03, 2005 07:58AM

try disabling javascript, that seemed to help a bit

Posted by: ssk
Date: October 13, 2005 08:45AM

yes, u r right i am facing the same problem with windowns and unix operating system
and i dont think it is problem of gecko as i am using a RIVA TNT graphic card.
but i still facing the same problem.

Posted by: Enaitz Jar
Date: October 13, 2005 10:05AM

I do not have that problem. I've opened both links shown here and nothing abnormal happens. CPU ussage is normal.

I'm using WXP (Corp) SP2 on a old PIII 800 128Mb, with a G-Force 2 MX 400. Using K-Meleon v0'9 (Gecko updated to the last). Flash plug-in installed, Java not.

I also think that these pages are not so complex, there are webs equal or much more complex we all know (www.softonic.com for example).

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.