Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Favicon support
Posted by: Drahken
Date: June 01, 2005 11:56AM

One thing I'd really like to see in KM is favicn support, especially on the tabs (don't really care if they show in bookmarks or not).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Favicon support
Posted by: themoose
Date: August 11, 2005 09:47AM

me too smiling smiley

Posted by: fabio.ugtech.net
Date: August 14, 2005 01:23PM

I would love that feature.

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: August 16, 2005 04:33AM

Moi itou! (Me too!) I'd love to see favicons come into KM! Good idea Drahken. smiling smiley I don't know how hard it would be to code that in to the layers plugin, or the address bar, but we have some excellent coders here in Hao and Dorian, along with others, and seems so at some point they would be able to do it. Or perhaps it can be handled by a macro? In that case jsnj would be the guru for that. smiling smiley (Though if a macro could I'm sure he would've done this for 0.9.)

Interesting times lay ahead. Maybe favicons are in that future as well? winking smiley

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"

Posted by: TheBeast
Date: January 07, 2006 03:36AM

favicon support would be tight. Keep up the good work guys.

Posted by: bst82551
Date: January 07, 2006 03:30PM

Well, we already have it in some ways in the builds with tabs by Dorian and Hao.

Brian

Posted by: George
Date: January 08, 2006 04:05AM

I personally do not care about favicon support becuase I personally believe they serve no pratical purpose. Adding something just becuase some other browser has it or just some people want without throughly researching and testing the technology is a mistake becuase it can cause other problems. When Microsoft added activex to their browser it nearly all of Window Security problems becuase they did not include security features to the technology.

I do not even like icons on IE favorites and favicons is just a ripoff of IE. And browsers work just fine and better without them because bookmarks load faster and the bookmark file size is significantly smaller without them.

Posted by: bst82551
Date: January 08, 2006 03:27PM

@George
Yep, true true. They can still serve a purpose though. You know how when you have TONS of favorites or bookmarks? Well, if you're looking for a particular one, you start matching it with the primary color of the favicon. This helps you to find it faster.

Brian

Posted by: Drahken
Date: January 09, 2006 01:00PM

George- I like favicons on tabs for the reason brian just mentioned, it makes it much quicker and easier to spot the tab you want.

Brian- Just organize your bookmarks better, and use subfolders. When I just throw my bookmarks in haphazardly, I have a hard time finding the one I want. When I get them organized though, it's pretty easy. (Now if we could just get a good organizing feature in KM's bookmarks, like the one in moz/FF...)

Posted by: George
Date: January 11, 2006 09:06PM

I never needed them to find a bookmark. A Good Search Function would be better than supporting favicons. A Bookmark Name would make finding a bookmark easier than just having a color or picture. Any two unrelated bookmarks could use the same color or icon making you believe it the same bookmark when it is not. Being Able to Search would be better than just adding eye-candy to the browser. And Being able copy and move multiple related bookmarks to a folder or place would be better than favicons also. Kmeleon can only move one bookmark at time which extremely slows down organizing bookmarks they way that you want. Netscape, Mozilla, and Firefox can copy, delete, and move multiple which works better than having favicons. Adding these features to the bookmark plugin would be a better use of our time than supporting favicons. The bookmark plugin should not have a limit on the number of bookmarks becuase the limit on the number of bookmarks causes kmeleon to crash nearly all toolbars and taskbars. Netscape, Mozilla, and Firefox do not have this size limit and do not crash when you have a lot of bookmarks in them.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.