Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Backspace functionality
Posted by: Steve
Date: January 12, 2006 03:46PM

Not sure if this has been addressed or not, did a simple search and didnt produce any results...

New to this browser as well...

I know this browser is completely customizable, but shy of writing my own code, is there a way to add the backspace key to function as the "Go back one page" button like in IE?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Backspace functionality
Posted by: bst82551
Date: January 12, 2006 05:56PM

There is a way of using another key along with backspace to go back by using the accelerators, but you would need to go into the code of the browser if you wanted to be able to go back with the backspace key. This feature has been requested a few times... so I'm sure it will be taken care of soon.

If you're interested in using a key combination to go backwards, ALT + LEFT is already implemented. To use a CTRL + BACKSPACE to go back, you would need to add the following to your Accelerators (Edit > Preferences > Configs > Accelerators):

CTRL VK_BACK = ID_NAV_BACK

If you would like to use a different combination of keys, here's a list of the names you would use for the keys:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=ConfigFiles#accel

Brian

Posted by: Fred
Date: January 16, 2006 11:24AM

Using the Backspace key alone for going back one page
would cause a conflict with deleting a letter, every time,when
the cursor is in a text field in K-Meleon. You would want to delete
a letter, and the browser would instead go back one page.
So use a different combination instead.
Fred

Posted by: Woody
Date: January 20, 2006 06:08AM

This is an interesting thread because this is my first day of seriously looking at K-M to replace Firefox.

In my zeal to customize K-M, I have already configured the Backspace key as discussed to simulate the Back button, but then I noticed the key no longer worked with real text strings to delete text.

So I toggled to FF and for some reason that problem does not exist there. That is, the Backspace key simulates the Back button but works as expected with text strings.

I don't know if this tidbit helps the K-M developers.

Posted by: ra
Date: January 20, 2006 05:55PM

The backspace key works just like is expected* to do (again) in the latest beta from [and thanks to!] Dorian. Have a look at the mailing list or into the general forum for download links.

* deleting characters in input fields and going back one page works

Posted by: mehdi
Date: February 05, 2006 09:11AM

How do you do for deleting when you are in a input fields, and , I'm well saying and go to one back page ? because k-méléon is the alone that dont do it.

Posted by: ra
Date: February 05, 2006 02:08PM

mehdi,

you'll only have this problem if you use VK_BACK = ID_NAV_BACK. With the built-in feature that I mentioned the browser detects whether you're in an input field or not and will act based on that information. So going back works only if you're *not* in an input field.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.