Memory & Closing tabs
Posted by: Danyelle
Date: February 28, 2011 09:53PM

Could you please address excessive memory that is not released when tabs are closed in the browser. I like to use various tabs when browsing but am frequently using almost 90% memory because each tab I open seems to be held in memory until I completely close k-meleon 1.5.4 and restart. This is causing excessive use of bookmarks to save one or two pages that I wish to remain visible while I browse different sites elsewhere but over time degrades the overall browsing experience and machine performance.

For reference I am running Windows 7 starter on an intel atom, hp netbook with 1 gb of ram.

Danyelle

Re: Memory & Closing tabs
Posted by: siria
Date: March 01, 2011 12:29AM

Hmm, you don't happen to have installed AdBlock Plus plugin...?

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 01, 2011 10:42AM

Danyelle
Could you please address excessive memory that is not released when tabs are closed in the browser.

Hallo,

Unused memory is idle memory. Minimize the browser, that releases the reserved memory for the user that You intend to start in a second. The browser is made to gobble up unused memory because that makes it work faster. I doubt that You would want to generally change that. smiling smiley

Plus memory management is a feature/job of Your OS not of Your browser. Really, it is Your OS that should despoil the browser of surplus horded memory for a newly started RAM hungry application. smiling smiley

To cover siria's Hmming in more detail. grinning smiley

The extension Adblock_plus has a bug that prevents release of memory until the browser is shut down. PPL call that a leak - AFAIK it starts to slow the browser after a while. Un-install the extension if You are using it or restart browser every once in a while if You want to use it in spite of the problem. Maybe after every half an hour.

For more info about the Adblock extension problems and possible workarounds for the leak problem visit this thread in K-Meleon extensions.

& greetings to the US, hope You could understand my my language with its distinct German drawl grinning smiley

p.s. Extensions are independent projects. Generally K-Meleon extension problems are discussed in the extensions forum. That is not the same as the Adblock Forum, which has it own independent forum.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2011 10:59AM by guenter.

Posted by: caktus
Date: March 01, 2011 10:36PM

Danyelle
Could you please address excessive memory that is not released when tabs are closed in the browser. I like to use various tabs when browsing but am frequently using almost 90% memory because each tab I open seems to be held in memory until I completely close k-meleon 1.5.4 and restart. This is causing excessive use of bookmarks to save one or two pages that I wish to remain visible while I browse different sites elsewhere but over time degrades the overall browsing experience and machine performance.

For reference I am running Windows 7 starter on an intel atom, hp netbook with 1 gb of ram.

Danyelle

Hi, Danyelle ,

As guenter alluded to,unused memory is idle (or wasted) memory) and in and of itself is really not a problem and managing this memory, that is RAM, is one of the few things that Windows does extremely well.

Even with dozens of windows and tabs open I have never known any version of KM to use more than about 279 MB of memory. Are you perhaps refering to 90% CPU usage? When I have about a dozen or so tabs or windows open KM seems to use up to 90% of CPU resource for a second or two while loading yet additional tabs or windows. Sometimes during these instances I find that KM will hang at about 90% CPU usage while attempting to load extremely content/JAVA rich pages and it is necessary to minimize the browser or close it and start over. It seems to me that all browsers occasionally exhibit this trait. At such times saving the windows and tabs as a session, closing all windows and tabs then restarting the session is a work-around for the problem.

Another thing I have noticed is that KM will sometimes hang on content rich pages of a particular site that does not recognize KM, in these cases it is not KM but rather the sites design that causes the problem
(see http://geckoisgecko.org/) Gradually, web sites are correcting this problem. Sometimes using a different user agent
(Tools > User Agent) will work around this problem. Occasionally using one of the dinosaur browsers such as IE accessible from the Context menu (Right click > Send To > IE) will work around it.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.