Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
change dafault browser via editing file
Posted by: froggy
Date: May 17, 2011 10:42PM

How can I change the default browser from IE to k-meleon by editing a file and NOT by using the F2 > Browsing .... ?
Similar to changing default browser to netscape whereby you edit prefs.js from false to true.
"user_pref("browser.wfe.ignore_def_check", true)".

Any easy edit like this in k-meleon ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: change dafault browser via editing file
Posted by: guenter
Date: May 18, 2011 12:01AM

Changes are IMHO easy to do.

Gui Guided

1.) F2 - Privacy and Security settings. Open droppdown menue. Chose Custom
2.) Tools -> User Agent chose. Choose Custom
3.) Part of the Privacy Bar. Right Click on user Agent. Choose Custom.

On "Custom" You can insert a new UserAgentString such as:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.18) Gecko K-Meleon/1.6.0 not Firefox/3.5

You can alternatively edit the default settings file directly: ./k-meleon/defaults/pref/I10n.js Line 15+

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent1.name", "Firefox 3.5");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent1.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20101130 Firefox/3.5.16");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent2.name", "SeaMonkey 2.0");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent2.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20101123 SeaMonkey/2.0.11");

You can add for example:

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent3.name", "New 3rd custom string Opera bla bla");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent3.string", "Opera/10.00 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en) Presto/2.2.0");

Alternatively You can go about:config (aka Edit/Configuration/Browser Configuration) and add new items from there.

I added for example:

Name: general.useragent.extra.K-Meleon
Type: string
Value: not Firefox/3.5

Else You can edit ./Your profile/prefs.js directly.

I personally use the default settings file and about:config to customize.

Date: May 18, 2011 09:20PM

I'm not sure your info is what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to make k-meleon my default browser. So if I click on an HTML, HTM, or URL shortcut, i want k-meleon to open, NOT IE. I dont care much about the user agents. I care to have windows recognize k-meleon as the default browser. But i want to do this by editing some file, not by F2 > browsing > set as default browser...

I think the last post changes the default user agent.

Posted by: JamesD(unlogged)
Date: May 18, 2011 09:56PM

Go to Control Panel - Folder Options - File types and change the association from IE to KM for the types you require.

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 18, 2011 10:04PM

froggy
I'm not sure your info is what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to make k-meleon my default browser. So if I click on an HTML, HTM, or URL shortcut, i want k-meleon to open, NOT IE. I dont care much about the user agents. I care to have windows recognize k-meleon as the default browser. But i want to do this by editing some file, not by F2 > browsing > set as default browser...

I think the last post changes the default user agent.

Sorry - I did not understand You. My fault.

Use set default like posted.

If You are on a XP SP3 or Win7 system You need the setdefault.exe from K-Meleon1.6.beta2 which knows the new registry keys introduced by Microsoft recently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2011 10:04PM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: May 18, 2011 10:27PM

Speaking of windows folder options, there's a popular little freeware tool that helps handling them easier ;-)
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html

Posted by: disrupted
Date: May 19, 2011 08:58PM

the pref you're referring to doesn't make the browser default per se but suppresses the default borwser status at startup "netscape is not currently your default browser...etc'.

you can have a similar prompt to check if kmeleon is default by using the extension defualter 2, available there:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext7.htm
you can easily suppress the check by going to the edit menu>configuartion and uncheck the default check menu entry, alternatively you can edit its ini file from true to false k-meleonpath\tools\defaulter\kmdefaulter.ini

bear in mind, that some older programs will always launch ie for external links regardless of what browser is default, they dont read the registry and assume ie path %programfiles%\ie\iexplorer.exe for that you will need something like iekiller extension to route links back to kmeleon but that's mostly with older programs and rarely affects newer applications which read the registry normally to locate your default browser path.

Date: May 19, 2011 10:35PM

thank you all.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.