Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Issues and Sugestions
Posted by: pichorra
Date: June 27, 2011 07:36PM

Hello, i've discovered k-meleon and i want to congratulate you guys for the Lighweith browser i've ever seen. Firefox 4 uses 100+ MB of memory, Chrome 60+, but k-meleon uses only 30MB! It is pretty nice for the computer i'm running, since it's Old, but i got a issue.

- The K-meleon simple can't get the Primary browser. Always when i click in a Link on MSN, my IRC Client, etc, Chrome is open. How can i fix it? I'm Running Windows XP SP3.

A improve i can do for this project:

- Can i Translate this browser for Portuguese? How i can do it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Issues and Sugestions
Posted by: siria
Date: June 27, 2011 08:31PM

Whow, that's an offer grinning smiley

The defaulter doesn't work right on some systems, but they say the updated "defaulter II" from here works well:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext7.htm

It's in 7z format, unzip it somewhere and check if the subfolders appear this way, seems to depend from some user settings in your zip program or such. If yes, you can unzip it into your K-Meleon root folder directly, or drag and drop the subfolders into the k-meleon root folder. It will ask about overwriting, but don't worry, in reality it only ADDs files, since the contained default files have different names and functions. Overwriting only means files with the same name.

About translating, have never done it (thank god grinning smiley) but to get a first idea, look at the download page and download one of the foreign "locales only" packages. If you unzip it, there are a bunch of files in it, with "kmeleon.kml" being the core menus. You can translate that with a simple text editor like notepad, and some of the other files too, just try opening them with the editor. They keep saying KM files must be in UTF-8 encoding, that seems important. You can start playing a bit with that and will see your first menus in portuguese smiling smiley But to translate the whole browser, that seems quite a chore, whoa... The dll's need some special editor, that's described somewhere in the wiki, but guess that's a minor problem. What terrifies me though, When you unzip the ".jar" file in the chrome folder, there appear nearly 200 files!! :O AFAIK "chrome" means especially the text in the pref sheets (if you click F2)

But perhaps better wait a bit, currently a new translation package for KM1.6 is being prepared, still in beta state. Can take awhile still until it's ready, no idea.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: June 27, 2011 10:02PM

Yes, KM has issues setting and keeping itself as default for whatever reasons. Best to set it as default through windows directly. Should be available in xp sp3 as default programs or set default programs in your start menu. I'm on win7 writing this but I have seen it in xp sp3.

Just checked my xp sp3 PC:

Start Menu - Set Program Access and Defaults - Configuration

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2011 10:14PM by jsnj.

Date: June 27, 2011 10:29PM

Hmm... just reading about "default programs"... no idea, but remember there were posters here who said KM did not appear in their offered programs list for filetypes, so they could not select it. Would suppose they installed the portable version, but not sure. Now wondering if that might possibly have something do do with the setdefault probs, that perhaps somehow those systems don't easily accept portable progs as default progs or such? But well, just a random thought, have no clue ;-)

Posted by: jsnj
Date: June 27, 2011 10:37PM

Yes, it either has to be installed or the KM setdefault exe must be used for Windows to recognize it and add it to the list.

Date: June 28, 2011 02:30PM

siria
Whow, that's an offer grinning smiley

The defaulter doesn't work right on some systems, but they say the updated "defaulter II" from here works well:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext7.htm

It's in 7z format, unzip it somewhere and check if the subfolders appear this way, seems to depend from some user settings in your zip program or such. If yes, you can unzip it into your K-Meleon root folder directly, or drag and drop the subfolders into the k-meleon root folder. It will ask about overwriting, but don't worry, in reality it only ADDs files, since the contained default files have different names and functions. Overwriting only means files with the same name.
Thank you, it worked. Also this browser seems to work pretty well on my old Cyrix 250Mhz, Windows 98. Just amazing!

siria
About translating, have never done it (thank god grinning smiley) but to get a first idea, look at the download page and download one of the foreign "locales only" packages. If you unzip it, there are a bunch of files in it, with "kmeleon.kml" being the core menus. You can translate that with a simple text editor like notepad, and some of the other files too, just try opening them with the editor. They keep saying KM files must be in UTF-8 encoding, that seems important. You can start playing a bit with that and will see your first menus in portuguese smiling smiley But to translate the whole browser, that seems quite a chore, whoa... The dll's need some special editor, that's described somewhere in the wiki, but guess that's a minor problem. What terrifies me though, When you unzip the ".jar" file in the chrome folder, there appear nearly 200 files!! :O AFAIK "chrome" means especially the text in the pref sheets (if you click F2)

But perhaps better wait a bit, currently a new translation package for KM1.6 is being prepared, still in beta state. Can take awhile still until it's ready, no idea.

Uh, yeah, huge files. Translating the KML will be easy (but expansive) of translating with EditPadPro. And about the DLL files, could i do it with Resource Hacker? And the DLL's are just for Windows, and about the Linux ones? I have skills handling some strings files since i translated Command & Conquer For Windows 95, it had a lot of DOS strings, really painful handle it in Windows NT.

Posted by: Matt
Date: June 28, 2011 03:58PM

pichorra
Translating the KML will be easy (but expansive) of translating with EditPadPro.

Why??? Use for instance http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ - completely free superb open source piece of software, you can translate kmeleon.kml using notepad ++

pichorra
And about the DLL files, could i do it with Resource Hacker? And the DLL's are just for Windows, and about the Linux ones

Yes, ResHacker smiling smiley, no K-M version for linux but the browser runs pretty decent under wine.

Good luck with pt-PT translation!

Cumprimentar e tenha um bom dia

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 29, 2011 08:17AM

pichorra
Uh, yeah, huge files. Translating the KML will be easy (but expansive) of translating with EditPadPro.

Huge but xGrind real name Michael Martins translated K-Meleon 1.5.3 to pt-BR in 2009 / Download, extract & virus scan Yourself, no warranties! The archive contains an installer and the locales package.

Sorry. I have no idea why they were not uploaded to the official download page then.
IMHO there were only minor technical problems. But judge for Yourself.

For 1.5.4 You can probably reuse all files except K-Meleon1.5.3pt-BR_locale.7z\chrome\pt-BR.jar\kmprefs\locale\ files that are newer (shows that the dev/kko added new strings) in the 1.5.4 Chrome.

For 1.6.beta You can probably reuse most files in ./k-meleon/locales/pt-BR

I use PsPad if I must edit any UTF-8 encoded files.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2011 08:26AM by guenter.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: June 29, 2011 12:45PM

pichorra

- The K-meleon simple can't get the Primary browser. Always when i click in a Link on MSN, my IRC Client, etc, Chrome is open. How can i fix it? I'm Running Windows XP SP3.

pichorra,

Over time, several people have had trouble setting default browser to KM. One program that works (in XP PRO) is Setbrowser, an old program that still does the job.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Browser-Tweak/SetBrowser.shtml

Just set it to "Netscape" and point it to your KM folder instead of letting it do an automcatic find. Works for me on my XP PRO SP3 old thinkpad.

N

Date: June 29, 2011 02:08PM

guenter
pichorra
Uh, yeah, huge files. Translating the KML will be easy (but expansive) of translating with EditPadPro.

Huge but xGrind real name Michael Martins translated K-Meleon 1.5.3 to pt-BR in 2009 / Download, extract & virus scan Yourself, no warranties! The archive contains an installer and the locales package.

File is corrupted. I can't open it with WinRAR. Anyway is great to see somebody already did that.

Date: June 29, 2011 03:25PM

pichorra
guenter
pichorra

File is corrupted. I can't open it with WinRAR. Anyway is great to see somebody already did that.

sad smiley

I uploaded again. Clear Your K-Meleon's cache before You download again.

Do not install on top of the English 1.5.4 version (which is offered by default) but into a separate, new folder like ./Program Files/K-Meleon1.5.3pt-BR.

The two K-Meleon versions can use the same profile but the ./chrome/embed.jar, en-US.jar and pt-Br.jar are not compatible. There are changes.

If You use them with the same profile for different versions, You best copy ./Program Files/K-Meleon1.5.3pt-BR/locales folder to K-Meleon 1.5.4 also. It will prevent "Readme.html file not found" on first start and give You the benefit of many pt-BR menus in K-Meleon 1.5.4.

The copying of locales to get many things in the (native) language of choice also works with K-Meleon 1.6.beta2.

The setdefault problem. Windows XP SP3/Vista/Windows 7 store the default browser registry information in different registry keys (not like XP Sp2 & earlier Windows versions). These new locations are AFAIK known to the setdefault.exe used by K-Meleon1.6.beta2.

Attachment. SetDefault.zip

Check all downloads with YOUR OWN virus software before using them!

Greetings from Germany

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2011 04:35PM by guenter.

Attachments: SetDefault.zip (78.7 KB)  
Date: July 01, 2011 04:56PM

The Default thing is now working as i said. And also i know when an App. Act like an virus, i usually check the entries with Process Explorer, etc.

Anyway, i got the Portuguese translation. The "Preferences" menu is entire on english. As you can see in the 1st image, the preferences and the Configuration is on English. and in the second one is Inside the "Preferences" menu. What file need i edit to get it in Portuguese?

Re: K-Meleon in Portuguese
Date: July 01, 2011 07:18PM

(some stuff in chrome folder, but others can tell better)

Would just like to suggest to rename the title of the first post above, perhaps to "K-Meleon in Portuguese" or such? smiling smiley

Date: July 01, 2011 07:47PM

pichorra
The Default thing is now working as i said. And also i know when an App. Act like an virus, i usually check the entries with Process Explorer, etc.

Anyway, i got the Portuguese translation. The "Preferences" menu is entire on english. As you can see in the 1st image, the preferences and the Configuration is on English. and in the second one is Inside the "Preferences" menu. What file need i edit to get it in Portuguese?

1.) Did the newer Setdefault.exe do its job on Your system?
It must be started in the K-Meleon folder that You want to become default.

2.) Which browser version does Your screenshot show?

The following screenshot was made from K-Meleon1.5.3pt-BR just before I changed the language to English again.

Most of the 1.5.3 and 1.5.4 chrome is identical. So many files are already translated by Michael Martins for 1.5.3 & they can be reused.

The chrome *.jar are zipped archives with the extension jar instead of zip.

The Preferences menu comes from the subfolder ./chrome (chrome 1.5.3 only works with K-Meleon1.5.3! It does not work for 1.5.4 or 1.6!) not from the subfolder locales (locales can be used with 1.5.4 and 1.6.beta2 also).

The changes in chrome 1.5.4 are AFAIK in the "Preferences" only.

C:\.k-meleon1.5.3pt-BR\chrome\pt-br.jar\kmprefs\locale\pt-BR\ contains the *.dtd and *.properties files that make the Preferences Brasilian.

The jar files are unpacked to edit the files and repacked when You are finished.

<!ENTITY appearance.windowTitle "Título da Janela:">

was translated from English:

<!ENTITY appearance.windowTitle "Window Title:">

Only the red part is translated into a language.

1.5.4 has a few strings more in some of the files. For this reason the 1.5.3 chrome files are unusable with 1.5.4 (the same is valid for 1.6).

You would compare the age of the files. Same age in 1.5.4 and 1.5.3 means probably unchanged - verify and copy to the 1.5.4 version. Different age = You would translate the new strings and copy the old strings over.

The rest of the chrome is AFAIK identical. So You can copy the files over without translating. When all files in the target folder are pt-BR You repack all.

1.6.beta. All nations are waiting for the 1.6.beta3 package to translate.
All we can do now is to use the locales files which mostly work & wait till the devs have prepared the package. It is no use to translate anything for 1.6 while it is not completed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2011 08:26PM by guenter.

Attachments: Brasilian.gif (23.6 KB)  

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.