Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Some lacks and drawbacks
Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 30, 2011 05:31PM

Sorry for this post as I understand there isn't too many developers among us but as this thread exist I'll write here.

What I miss in KM? Numerous things but 2 of them are really invaluable.

1) Ability not only save sessions but save them to file on the disk/. I know they are saved into prefs.js and can be taken from there but it's not easy for me and all the more so for less geeky user.

When working on many PCs (at home, at work, on the move etc.) and moreover while trying different builds of KM with unsynchronized profiles (so you cannot just take prefs.js and go) it would be very useful to have possibility to quickly save session on the flash disk and load it elsewhere on different version of KM.
2) Such thing as bookmarklets won't work properly in KM. You can add it (without drag-n-drop - no matter!) to Personal
Toolbar but most of them don't act as they have to.

It would be great improvement to have KM handling js-bookmarks if it's possible.

Upd.: I found javascriptia extension but using it isn't convenient enough. And may I ask KMext list maintainer to update javascriptia file to v2.

3) Is it possible to remember scroll position on every page with session? Looks like KM has such functionality but I cannot find it.

4) Not the first need request but rather "bugreport".
As it seems to be limitation of used Gecko, it need patch fix like Facebook and Youtube fixes for KM 1.5.x.
KM (even 1.7) fails to render http://www.browserscope.org/ properly (there isn't "Go" button to the right from the dropdown list of browsers to choose).
Not important but it looks like KM falling out of modern browsers group :-(

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2011 05:37AM by rodocop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Some lacks and drawbacks
Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 30, 2011 10:10PM

1) I don't know of an existing system to 'export' part of the prefs.js so that you could carry it to another machine. There is an alternative to Sessions that is called Groups. It does have an export of it's prefs to an ini file which can be imported on another system. It saves/loads groups of tabs in the current window. It is called 'Groups2-0.67' in the extensions. http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext4.htm

Is it only the 'sessions' prefs that you need exported? I could try and write a macro for you. I worked on Groups2 and also Policy packager for Policy Manager. Both have export/import functions.

3) I am not sure if sessions recalled the place you were on a page. Save a session in which you are part way down each page and see if loading the session take you the spot where you were when the session was saved.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Posted by: megaduu
Date: December 01, 2011 04:11AM

Well done ,learn more

Date: December 01, 2011 05:37AM

JamesD
1) I don't know of an existing system to 'export' part of the prefs.js so that you could carry it to another machine. There is an alternative to Sessions that is called Groups. It does have an export of it's prefs to an ini file which can be imported on another system. It saves/loads groups of tabs in the current window. It is called 'Groups2-0.67' in the extensions. http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext4.htm

Is it only the 'sessions' prefs that you need exported? I could try and write a macro for you. I worked on Groups2 and also Policy packager for Policy Manager. Both have export/import functions.

3) I am not sure if sessions recalled the place you were on a page. Save a session in which you are part way down each page and see if loading the session take you the spot where you were when the session was saved.

Thank you for reply!
I know about Groups and use it sometimes. But it's more useful when working without departing.
And yes, session info is the only crucial part of prefs for me.
I will be very grateful if you could write some macro (I believe, not only for me!)

Date: December 01, 2011 01:43PM

I will try. Not sure how soon I can do it. Very busy trying to finish KM 1.6.0 beta 2.4.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Date: December 01, 2011 04:24PM

No need to hurry up!
Thank you for paying attention!

Date: December 02, 2011 03:00AM

Well, the export part is very nearly finished. Now the fun is going to be trying to import to the other system. There are already sessions there. This could get complicated.

Do you need to save the existing sessions on the machine to which you are moving the exported sessions?

JamesD

Date: December 02, 2011 09:05AM

JamesD
Well, the export part is very nearly finished. Now the fun is going to be trying to import to the other system. There are already sessions there. This could get complicated.

Do you need to save the existing sessions on the machine to which you are moving the exported sessions?

I thought it would be like ability to choose session (in existing menu) not only from inner list but from file too.
There isn't functionality to save current session while opening another. But if you can add this to the 'infile'-saved sessions import it would be great!

And it will be reasonable to add this feature to current inner session handling - if possible.

Date: December 02, 2011 12:59PM

rodocop
I thought it would be like ability to choose session (in existing menu) not only from inner list but from file too.
There isn't functionality to save current session while opening another. But if you can add this to the 'infile'-saved sessions import it would be great!

And it will be reasonable to add this feature to current inner session handling - if possible.

Sessions is a dll file. That is compiled C++ code. I cannot change sessions coding at all. The data for sessions is in the prefs.js file. The most that I can do is change that data.

I can export the data for named sessions to an ini file which you write to a memory stick. The named sessions are those where you have saved a session. I don't know if there would be problems trying to do 'last session' and 'previous session'. I would like to get named sessions working before I mess with those.

This means that if you wanted your current session to transfer, you would need to save it first. Is this going to be acceptable?

JamesD

Date: December 02, 2011 04:34PM

Yes, of course!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2011 04:35PM by rodocop.

Date: December 06, 2011 12:24AM

I am still working on the import part. Have had a lot of interruptions. Funny thing about wives. They expect some of your time.

JamesD

Date: December 06, 2011 08:23AM

They always do. I know :-)

Don't hurry, James! And one more time thank you!

Date: December 07, 2011 03:28AM

Oops, major problem encountered. Looks like writing to an ini file is not going to work. I think there is utf-8 chars involved. In any case I must split long lines of data and I am not getting correct lengths. I am pretty sure someone once told me I could not parse the perf.js file. I will keep looking for a way. Maybe the extra/lost spaces will not matter.

Edit: The extra spaces do matter and they are lost when writing and reading the ini file. Apparently an ini file is ascii and not utf-8. I can think of no fix for the problem.

JamesD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2011 04:18PM by JamesD.

Date: December 07, 2011 06:59PM

PROBLEM SOLVED !!!

I have some test code for you to try. Consider it beta only. It is still full of comments and white space. It seems to work, with the limited testing that I have done.

The code is here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/CarrySession.7z

Please report any problems.

Note about prior post edit: I just hate to give up. I have added a "?" to string lines going to the ini file. When reading the ini file all the string to and including the ? is read. My concern is the the ? could be a valid character in the character string. I need to choose something which will not appear in the real character string.

JamesD

Date: December 09, 2011 12:40AM

I have put a new version of CarrySession in my dropbox. You can obtain it here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/CarrySession.7z

There were a couple of bugs in the prior version. Using the ? was a bad choice. That has been replaced with *!*. Hopefully those three characters in that exact order will not appear in any real data line of sessions.

JamesD

Date: December 09, 2011 10:27AM

Seems it works fine. Continue testing but now I must give you all my respect and gratitude!

Posted by: Michael
Date: April 07, 2012 11:07AM

rodocop
3) Is it possible to remember scroll position on every page with session? Looks like KM has such functionality but I cannot find it.

And the magnification! smiling smiley Or at least, to be able to do so for certain favourite sites. It can be a little tedious each time when loading your browser and session having to go and put the magnification back up to the setting you had them at before, especially if you can't start reading until you have. A good thing though, KM does tend to remember tab positions in the tab bar...some browsers don't.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.