Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Remember target position
Posted by: Comit
Date: May 21, 2008 09:48PM

This is an annoying problem as I primarily use my browser for forums/message boards. When I click the 'new' link on a forum topic, it focuses the window right at the newest post. But then images start to load and push the focus around so I almost always have to scroll around looking for the newest post manually. I've only noticed this behavior on k-m browser so far.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Remember target position
Posted by: desga2
Date: May 21, 2008 10:40PM

What K-Meleon version and windows?
What forum (for example)?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: Comit
Date: May 21, 2008 11:43PM

K-M 1.1.5, Windows XP.
Any SMF or VBulletin forum. http://www.rage3d.com/board/ would be an example - though it would need to be a thread that had images in it...should be able to recreate this in any page with images on it that directs you to an anchor/target in the middle. The loading of the images alters the viewpoint.

Posted by: kko
Date: May 22, 2008 09:40AM

Comit
This is an annoying problem as I primarily use my browser for forums/message boards. When I click the 'new' link on a forum topic, it focuses the window right at the newest post. But then images start to load and push the focus around so I almost always have to scroll around looking for the newest post manually. I've only noticed this behavior on k-m browser so far.

This is normal. First, the HTML page is loaded, then the embedded images. When no dimensions (width, height) are specified for the images, the layout must be corrected to fit in the images when they are loaded. This will change the dimensions of the page (at least the height) and thus will change the position of the viewport. Gecko is correcting this position continuously as the page is loading. Finally, you do end up at the desired position when the page is fully loaded.

This is Gecko, not just K-Meleon. The behavior is the same in Firefox and SeaMonkey. I don't know what browser you used before, but in IE6, for example, things are even worse. There you may not end up at the desired position when the page is finally loaded...

If it takes you too long to load images due to small bandwidth, maybe disable image loading when visiting such a forum (just hit F9 to toggle).

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.