Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Bookmark Import from Chrome
Posted by: Steve
Date: February 08, 2012 04:28PM

For Chrome: Is there a way to import bookmarks in a usable form, ie, not just by exporting and then importing or linking to a page of html?

It does not have to look the same, but I would like your pop down menu of bookmarks to have the same item/folder/hierarchy as what I was using before (which was a lot).

BTW, kudos. This thing is fast and uses about 1/5 the memory as Chrome on my 512MB older XP system. I dont see my HD lite on all the time thrashing to keep up with the bloated memory demands of Chrome now (knock on wood).

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bookmark Import from Chrome
Posted by: rodocop
Date: February 08, 2012 07:26PM

1) 'Good' news: You CAN get what you need (full Chrome bookmark folder structure in KM)

2) 'Bad' news: you cannot avoid export/import procedure

3) 'Ugly' news: you need some manual work to get it...

grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley

Why laughing? Because I can help you get deeper in K-Meleon world, learn something new and useful for you if you want to stick with KM. And you'll love it sometime!

First. Go to KM Extensions Central and find there many useful extensions for KM. One you need is KM Bookmarks Importer NT.
Another one (optional) - Bookmarks Backup

Also yor need to install (just unpack archive into your KM folder) K-Meleon Extensions Manager 7.4 for NT. It's better to do it first and you'll get new entry - 'KM extension' - in context-menu when you are right-clicking on the link to needed extension (even directly in my message).

Second. Restart KM after unpacking Extensions Manager (KEM) and then install two extensions (browser restarts after each install - it's OK).

Third. Export your Chrome bookmarks to html-file using Chrome bookmark manager.

Forth. In KM go to Bookmarks menu and choose Bookmarks Backup -> Create Backup. Just in case.

Fifth. In Bookmarks menu choose Bookmarks Importer - the window of importer would open.
Browse for your saved file and import it. I recommend not to merge it with existing file (uncheck corresponding box) but if you have backup ready, you can experiment freely!

That's it! You get all your bookmark folder structure from Chrome right in K-Meleon!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 12:49PM by rodocop.

Date: February 09, 2012 09:00AM

One important note:
there were issues that KM fails to handle very big bookmark-collections (some entries are not shown if more than 300 bookmarks).

I don't know, whether this problem remains in current 1.6-1.7 builds, but get ready to face such situation...

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 09, 2012 11:09AM

rodocop
One important note:
there were issues that KM fails to handle very big bookmark-collections (some entries are not shown if more than 300 bookmarks).

I don't know, whether this problem remains in current 1.6-1.7 builds, but get ready to face such situation...

The old limit was a little more than 1000 AFAIK.

There have been no code alterations in bookmarks.

1.6 bookmarks are AFAIK the same code as bookmarks 1.5.4.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2012 11:58AM by guenter.

Date: February 09, 2012 11:45AM

Yes, I've tried and my KM handles about 500 bookmarks well.

Thank you, guenter, for details.

Date: February 12, 2012 10:53PM

I found these instructions too hard to follow. The zip is not self extracting to the right place. It wants to put news skins and other folders in the KMeleon directory under program files if I put it there and try to run it. Should I trust that?

Plus I discovered that I cannot get KMeleon to make itself the default browser overriding Chrome, and I cannot get it to open new pages in a tab instead of a window. These are a major impediment to happy use.

Finally it was frugal on memory until I upgraded to 2 Gig. It seems to have decided that it should hog a bigger share after that.

On line reviews are not real favorable. I may uninstall.

Date: February 13, 2012 09:24AM

Steve
I found these instructions too hard to follow. The zip is not self extracting to the right place. It wants to put news skins and other folders in the KMeleon directory under program files if I put it there and try to run it. Should I trust that?
Yes, trust it! You need to unpack zip-archive directly into K-Meleon folder under Program Files. This doesn't overwrite anything but only adds files into corresponding folders.

Steve
Plus I discovered that I cannot get KMeleon to make itself the default browser overriding Chrome...
Look at this nearby thread for the right receipt.

Steve
... and I cannot get it to open new pages in a tab instead of a window. These are a major impediment to happy use.
Go to Preferences -> Browsing -> Window Diversion
and set prefs like this:

Steve
Finally it was frugal on memory until I upgraded to 2 Gig. It seems to have decided that it should hog a bigger share after that.

Comparing to Chrome KM takes significantly less memory. My KM takes about 150Mb with 25 tabs opened and Chrome eats up more than 300Mb for only 9 tabs.
But KM may show some 'freezes' when processing rich-scripted pages. This is one of real weak points in comparison with 'big' brothers browsers.

However, KM has plenty of tools to customize and limit script usage on pages to minimize this problem...

Date: February 15, 2012 03:53AM

Thanks for the feedback. On the tabbed browsing, I dont have the same radio buttons you have. Go figger.

I am running 1.5.4 the 'production' release.

Date: February 15, 2012 08:09AM

Update to 1.6beta - release engine is really outdated and you would face at multiple problems.

You can try new versions without uninstalling 'official release' - just take one of portable builds from my signature or download the 7z-archived 1.6beta2.4 or try my new 'compilation' CommMeleon from http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,121747

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2012 01:29PM by rodocop.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.