Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Preferences Need To Be Condensed...
Posted by: DasFox
Date: August 01, 2008 12:36AM

The developers should keep most of the preference settings in the 'Edit' - 'Preferences' section...

Most of the stuff in the 'Tools' menu should be in there.

As an example from what I see these should be in there to make it easier to hunt down:

Configure Mail
Configure News
Privacy
Proxy
User Agent
Mouse Acc.
Mouse Ges.

Well this is just an idea, I'd just try and condense things in one area that are fairly similar...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Preferences Need To Be Condensed...
Posted by: guenter
Date: August 01, 2008 01:31AM

I disagree: there is a non XUL version possible - it will need these items.

Posted by: DasFox
Date: August 01, 2008 01:58AM

Sorry I meant the GUI preferences, such as for example:

Tools - Privacy - Permissions - cookis, popups, images...

Also Configure Mail, and Configure News

Just the preferences that are coming up as GUIs...

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 01, 2008 12:30PM

The items in "TOOLS" are in the right place.

I use "PREFERENCES" when I set up a new version of KM. I have never used any of the items in the above list. However, I do add my own tools to this menu. My "Tools" menu dropdown now reaches half the height of the screen. "Preferences" is longer than "Tools" so I would not want more items there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2008 12:33PM by JamesD.

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 01, 2008 04:31PM

@DasFox, Another version/type ( called ME ) that some PPL use needs these items.

The MEs have another chrome.dll (called: Chrmlite.dll) that cannot use the XUL Preferences that kko developed recently. So the menu item in Tools serve as a fall back for the ME issues. You will find some info about K-Meleon ME CCF versions at Wikipedia. But Me variants of other versions also exist. They are for kiosk mode, CD, older PC, Linux and for PPL that do not like XUL ... e.g. because K-Meleon of old did not use XUL items.

Apart from that Nostalgia smiling smiley these other configuration items are older, done via K-Meleon's native macro language ( = they always work ) and oldtimers like me do not like anything disappearing.

p.s. Users can suppress and alter K-Meleon native dialoges easily - it is not needed to dicard them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2008 04:45PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.