Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
My feedback
Posted by: auutumn
Date: August 10, 2008 03:49PM

Intersting program, could be my favorite if I could get some changes made.

1. More options for how to handle/open tabs when selecting a URL from Favorites, History, Favorites Group, or typing them in. Under Preferences - Browsing - General - Open xxx. Right now, I can have a tab, select a Favorite and have it display the selected URL over the existing tab even though...not what I want.

2. When first installing this app, have the K-Melon plugin for IE favorites checked by default.

3. On the Preferences dialog, if you really must have the Prev/NExt buttons (which I don't like nor use), enable those buttons when appropiate. If I'm at the first perference category, disable Prev.

4. Having to click on a button to do a search is OK but I'd much prefer to see a search box in the upper right corner of the browser.

5. I would like to be able to click on the toolbar to add/remove the icons like Print, Mail, and Links.

6. Your browser doesn't work with the new Yahoo mail client, I get the error message "Unfortunately the new Yahoo! Mail doesn't currently work with screen readers. Until then, please return to Yahoo! Mail Classic."

7. Include the option to display an "X" to close a tab; if there is an option, I didn't see it.

8. Include a spell checker.

9. Option to automatically restore a session or the last session when opening the browser.

10. Option to automatically dock the History, Favorites, etc windows.

11. I use IE7Pro and I like several features I'd like in your browser:
- Favorites Center
- Add to Favorites
- Quick Tabs
- Tab List

12. You need a Recent Pages button next to the Forward button.

13. I clicked on Print Preview for this page and 1) it looked weird then 2) I wasn't sure how to get back to this page because you didn't show an appropiate toolbar let alone new window like IE7 does.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My feedback
Posted by: desga2
Date: August 10, 2008 05:00PM

Sorry, but reading your feedback/request you must install Firefox or IE instead K-Meleon. tongue sticking out smiley

auutumn
1. More options for how to handle/open tabs when selecting a URL from Favorites, History, Favorites Group, or typing them in. Under Preferences - Browsing - General - Open xxx. Right now, I can have a tab, select a Favorite and have it display the selected URL over the existing tab even though...not what I want.

Can you explain that you really like do with tabs and Favorites, History, Favorites Group, ... ?

auutumn
2. When first installing this app, have the K-Melon plugin for IE favorites checked by default.

Why? You can activate it. Because you are using IE , if i'm using Firefox i like bookmarks cheked by default and if other using Opera like opera plugin cheked by default. Must we checked all plugins by default and then everyone says "Why you checked all plugins by default if i don't use it all plugins only one"?
You must enable plugin that you like use.

auutumn
3. On the Preferences dialog, if you really must have the Prev/NExt buttons (which I don't like nor use), enable those buttons when appropiate. If I'm at the first perference category, disable Prev.

This is trivial, nothing important. Few people use this buttons in preference panels.

auutumn
4. Having to click on a button to do a search is OK but I'd much prefer to see a search box in the upper right corner of the browser.

In K-Meleon you can use URL bar to search or you can install SearchBar plugin.

auutumn
5. I would like to be able to click on the toolbar to add/remove the icons like Print, Mail, and Links.

Like Firefox, yes. You can modify this toolbar buttons in toolbars.cfg file in your current skin subfolder of K-Meleon\skins folder.

But i like have a macro function "rebuildtoolbar(toolbar)" similar to "rebuildmenu (menuName)" to we can change toolbar buttons with a macro and without restart K-Meleon.

auutumn
6. Your browser doesn't work with the new Yahoo mail client, I get the error message "Unfortunately the new Yahoo! Mail doesn't currently work with screen readers. Until then, please return to Yahoo! Mail Classic."

This isn't our problem but Yahoo!. You can solved this using Yahoo Mail Classic (it's better than New Yahoo Mail), or you can changed your User Agent string in K-Meleon: Tools -> User Agent -> Firefox2

auutumn
7. Include the option to display an "X" to close a tab; if there is an option, I didn't see it.

This isn't implemented, but i think that this isn't needed because you can close it with middle click or double click more easy and better than an "X" in each tab.

auutumn
8. Include a spell checker.

You can download SpellChecker plugin.

auutumn
9. Option to automatically restore a session or the last session when opening the browser.

This is implemented. Right click over Home toolbar button and select option "Start With Last Session" or "Start With Group..." (or session if you are using 1.5 version) or in menu View -> Home -> Start With ...

auutumn
10. Option to automatically dock the History, Favorites, etc windows.

Sidebar isn't implemented yet.

auutumn
11. I use IE7Pro and I like several features I'd like in your browser:
- Favorites Center -> What is this, can you explain it?
- Add to Favorites -> This is implemented, you can add web pages to Favorites when Favorites plugin is enabled.
- Quick Tabs -> What is this, can you explain it?
- Tab List -> This is implemented, View -> Layers/Tabs or right click over layer/tab title button and go to menu Layers/Tabs (Layer or Tabs depending on the version 1.1.X or 1.5)

auutumn
12. You need a Recent Pages button next to the Forward button.

Not needed it, you can do right click over button to view recent pages.

auutumn
13. I clicked on Print Preview for this page and 1) it looked weird then 2) I wasn't sure how to get back to this page because you didn't show an appropiate toolbar let alone new window like IE7 does.

To quit print preview Ctrl+Alt+P or select again (uncheck) File -> Print Preview in menu.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: August 10, 2008 05:09PM

2) No

3) Little detail without importance.

4) It already exists as extension, but not yet completely adapt to 1.5.x

6) Use mail classictongue sticking out smiley

7) Double-click on the tab button do the trick

8) Already exists as extension.

9) Already exists, try it in Display menutongue sticking out smiley

11) Tab lists already exists in menu
. Add to favorites already exists (right-click)
. Favorites Center: interest ???
. Quick Tabs ???

12) Already exists with long click on Prev and Next button (or right click)

13) Click again on Print Preview to close the preview

What more?

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 12, 2008 12:35AM

@autumn: Item 6.)
You should complain to Yahoo for redirecting & telling You nonsense
- K-Meleon can handle new mail and Yahoo just does not want to admitt that all browsers with the same Gecko engine can use yahoo new mail tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2008 07:57AM by guenter.

Posted by: RM
Date: August 12, 2008 09:48AM

1. See edit -> advanced preferences ( or press F2) go to Browsing, select general, and you have lot of preferences. Is this what you wanted? I feel yes.

6. Set Tools -> user agent as Firefox 2.0 and try again. Right now I am able to open with my user agent as custom. there is no problem, as I just now checked.

Please give your feedback

RM

Date: August 12, 2008 11:17AM

Yahoo.com.mail - today allowed User agent standard once when I opted for new mail - and is disallowing Windows ME now - I rechecked because RM got in with K-Meleon also. Before that I thought they were so pleased my me opting in that they chose not to check grinning smiley

So there seem to be some links inside Yahoo that do not lead to the insulting browser switch that documents some Yahoo's programmers ignorance about Geckos (but shows some also have prejudices against DOS based Windows32).

Re: My feedback - "Together let us make K-meleon the best browser."
Posted by: RM
Date: August 12, 2008 02:23PM

As mentioned in other postings, there was a time when I could not enter many Ajax sites like editgrid, inetword etc. But changing the user agent I could get rid of all those problems. I think by changing the user agent the sites recognize K-Meleon as the Browser you specify and do not reject it. Yahoo mail I never had any problem. Just now I checked again and it worked.

As I mentioned in another posting, I could use foxmarker with K- meleon by setting that site as my homepage. And when i hit the homepage button, the foxmarks bookmarks opens up. Well i feel the site is better than the the Firefox extension any day.

So there are ways in which K- Meleon can be adopted to suit many of our requirements. May be some day we will have an inbuilt download manager like Firefox's and a sxipper like password manager will work with K- Meleon. (Anyway K-meleon's password manager is not bad comparatively). Still without them, for me K-Meleon is the best.

Well let me just say this :

"Together let us make K-meleon the best browser."

Thanks,

RM

Re: My feedback - "Together let us make K-meleon the best browser."
Date: August 13, 2008 04:45PM

RM
I think by changing the user agent the sites recognize K-Meleon as the Browser you specify and do not reject it.

Absolutely: As long as You spoof Firefox or another Gecko browser only very sophisticated scripts can detect any difference. One of the few that can is (gemal's browserspy: I spoofed Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.15 but it insisted: Vendor: K-Meleon & anyone that knows a vendor called K-Meleon will also know that this is no Firefox grinning smiley )

If You spoof IEs the differences in the JavaScript implementation will often prevent that pages load properly.

RM
"Together let us make K-meleon the best browser."

Absolutely: & thx that You already started to contribute with info in Your other posts.

BTW. for me it is the best browser already for many years but even the best can be improved :B

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2008 04:47PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.