Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Suggestion (prefetch related)
Posted by: Christopher Poole
Date: January 15, 2009 07:02AM

Just a suggestion, I think having prefetch disabled by default (instead of enabled like most Mozilla browsers) is a good idea.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suggestion (prefetch related)
Posted by: desga2
Date: January 15, 2009 05:09PM

What's your reason for do it?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: caktus
Date: February 07, 2009 11:46PM

As often as I browse the KM Forums, I can't believe I missed this.

As desga2 inquired; What purpose would this serve?:s Sure, I could just disable Prefetch and see how this setting would effect KM's performance but it may be helpful to hear from the KM Guru's before I risk doing damage. Since it is not often that I see Christopher Poole at the forums, I'd like to hear anyone's opinion regarding this subject.

Thanks.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: May 17, 2009 10:23PM

Reasons:
You get unwanted cookies and other privacy risks and people don't realize this when prefetch is on
Users who pay for the amount of bandwidth they use find themselves paying for traffic for pages they might not even visit.
Webmasters who pay for the amount of outgoing traffic on their sites, are forced to pay for traffic generated by people who may never actually visit their sites.
Advertisers pay for viewed ads on sites that are never visited (non-compliant prefetching)
Browser usage statistics may get skewed towards browsers that implement prefetching.
Search engine referer statistics may get skewed towards search engines that implement prefetching.
Web site statistics may become less reliable due to registering page hits that were never seen by the user.
Users may be exposed to more security risks - by downloading more pages, or from un-requested sites (additionally compounded as drive-by downloads become more advanced and diverse).
Web providers may find themselves at liability of third-party content outside of their domain that could be hot-swapped, however search engines have made it heavily accepted that one should have no liability of what one links to, and this is only slightly different through making it more mandatory that one gets the links content.

Posted by: caktus
Date: May 19, 2009 03:37AM

@ bugsnevrgetfixd

Wouldn't it be easer to block cookies and allow only certain cookies in Privacy > Permissions?

As far as security, I have always understood that cookies are not really a problem.

That a side, I never thought to view through the eyes of a webmaster.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.