Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Addons
Posted by: PICS
Date: April 17, 2009 07:09PM

K-Meleon is really an impressive browser, with more speed and less resources. The only thing I want is firefox addons support.

Hoping for your response.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Addons
Posted by: desga2
Date: April 18, 2009 12:33PM

Thanks to Alain and disrupted, some Firefox addons can be adapted to work in K-Meleon, look in the lists;
Alain's K-Meleon Extensions for K-Meleon.
disrupted's extensions for K-Meleon web page.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: mhf
Date: April 19, 2009 09:57AM

Could someone run through the procedure for setting up KMES etc.? Thanks.

Date: April 19, 2009 11:36AM

Download the KMES extension that you like and run it (it's a exe installer file that automatically install and setting all needed in K-Meleon).

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2009 11:36AM by desga2.

Posted by: mhf
Date: April 19, 2009 06:07PM

thanks desga2.
I thought there was a lot more to it than that !

Posted by: drongo
Date: May 21, 2009 08:35AM

I think, it is better to create a central site of add-on's, like firefox did. Also,it is good idea to make an organizer in k-meleon with list of 3th party exetensions that i did instaled.(with ability to disabe/ uninstall them)
I still did not find all k-meleon's extenstions that i like in firefox. Here my little list: grinning smiley

Enabled Extensions:
- Adblock Plus 1.0.2 - Ads were yesterday!
- Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper 1.0.5 - Helps you create element hiding rules for Adblock Plus to fight the text ads.
- BetterPrivacy 1.29 - "Super-Cookie Safeguard"
- CacheViewer 0.5b4 - Allows searching and sorting cache files
- Classic Compact Options 1.1.3 - This adds the "Classic Compact Options" menu item to the "tools" menu, which allows one to change the appearance of the theme Classic Compact. Options include: using keyhole arrows; turning off gradient backgrounds; turning off rounded borders; and turning on chiseled toolbar dividers. Requires the theme Classic Compact v3.0.7 or higher be installed.
- CookieSafe 3.0.5 - Control cookie permissions.
- Ctrl-Tab 0.20 - Ctrl+Tab navigation for tabs similar to Alt+Tab on various operating systems. Shift+Ctrl+A / Shift+Cmd+A shows all tabs in a grid.
- CustomizeGoogle 0.76 - Enhance Google search results and remove ads and spam.
- Domain Details 2.4 - Displays Server Type, Headers, IP Address, Location Flag, and links to Whois Reports
- Download Statusbar 0.9.6.5 - View and manage downloads from a tidy statusbar
- DownThemAll! 1.1.3 - The mass downloader for Firefox.
- Dr.Web anti-virus link checker 1.0.19 - Scan link target with Dr.Web anti-virus
- ErrorZilla Mod 0.34 - Implements a useful error page when a website cannot be reached.
- FfChrome 1.5 - Bare Essentials
- FireFTP 1.0.4 - FTP Client for Mozilla Firefox.

- JavaScript Deobfuscator 1.5.3 - Shows you what JavaScript code gets to run on webpages
- LinkExtend 1.0.1 - The Ultimate Browsing Tool!
- Locationbar² 1.0.3 - Formats and linkifies addresses in your Location bar.
- Morning Coffee 1.33 - Keeps track of daily routine websites and opens them in tabs.
- MR Tech Toolkit 6.0.3.3 - MR Tech Toolkit power tools for all users. (en-US)
- NoScript 1.9.2.8 - Extra protection for your Firefox: NoScript allows JavaScript, Java (and other plugins) only for trusted domains of your choice (e.g. your home-banking web site). This whitelist based pre-emptive blocking approach prevents exploitation of security vulnerabilities (known and even unknown!) with no loss of functionality… Experts will agree: Firefox is really safer with NoScript :-)
- Organize Status Bar 0.6.3 - Organize your status bar icons.
- Password Exporter 1.1 - Export and import your saved passwords.
- pict.com Uploader 1.2.0 - Upload pictures to pict.com
- qtl 13.7 - Language Translation
- Quick Locale Switcher 1.6.9 - Quickly change and apply your Mozilla locale related settings.
- QuickProxy 2009.03.28 - Quickproxy creates a statusbar icon to quickly turn the proxy on and off.
- RefControl 0.8.11 - Control what gets sent as the HTTP Referer on a per-site basis.
- ReloadEvery 3.0.0 - Reloads webpages every so many seconds or minutes
- ScrapBook 1.3.3.9 - Helps you to save Web pages and organize the collection.
- Secure Login 0.9.3 - A login extension similar to Opera's Wand login
- Tab Clicking Options 0.6.9 - Assign tab related actions to clicking events on a tab or the tabbar
- Update Notifier 0.1.5.4 - Notifies you when updates are available for your extensions and themes.
- User Agent Switcher 0.6.11 - Adds a menu and a toolbar button to switch the user agent of the browser.
- View Dependencies 0.3.3.0 - Adds a tab listing dependencies and their sizes in the Page Info window.

Installed Themes: [3]
- Firefox 2, the theme, reloaded 0.9.3 - Default firefox 2 theme for firefox 3
- Noia 2.0 (eXtreme) 3.63 - Fully skinned based on Noia icon set.
- null

Only a few i did found in k-meleon, it is not enogh fo me.

Serch bar that i did found - don't like it. Where can i found serach bar similar to firefox?

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2009 08:50AM by drongo.

Date: May 21, 2009 11:25AM
Date: May 21, 2009 12:56PM

Thanks, desga2!
Perhaps you will be so kind describe me an installation process of add-on's from this page : http://pagesperso-orange.fr/jujuland46/JujuLand/KMES/KMES-Download.html#down_extensions (at least NoScript- my favorite add-on)
I did try to install it myself- not working.
I did try to install an exe from that page- it did install some very old verion of noscript without option to update it.At least i didn't find out how to update...

Well, i think k-meleon should use this site: ( perchaps to rent it smiling smiley )
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/ .And use an XPI directly in k-meleion. I think, it is much better idea.
Advantages:
-user will be able to get an update automaticly
-central good site with a lot off addons for any user.
-search and installation process is more user friendly.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2009 01:30PM by drongo.

Date: May 21, 2009 05:54PM

drongo
Thanks, desga2!
Perhaps you will be so kind describe me an installation process of add-on's from this page : http://pagesperso-orange.fr/jujuland46/JujuLand/KMES/KMES-Download.html#down_extensions (at least NoScript- my favorite add-on)
I did try to install it myself- not working.
I did try to install an exe from that page- it did install some very old verion of noscript without option to update it.At least i didn't find out how to update...

Read this post about NoScript extension updated.

drongo
Well, i think k-meleon should use this site: ( perchaps to rent it smiling smiley )
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/ .And use an XPI directly in k-meleion. I think, it is much better idea.
Advantages:

JujuLand is working on it. All extensions are migrating to this new site.

XPI support isn't implemented by security reasons.
About Mozilla, K-Meleon isn't Firefox. K-Meleon is Open Source but Firefox is a Mozilla's product and trademark.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2009 06:01PM by desga2.

Date: May 21, 2009 06:39PM

Thanks for answer. In my opinion, xpi it is not more dangerous than an exe smiling smiley
Frankly speaking, i don't care if my browser an open source, comercial product or whatever you say.
All what i do care, is that my browser will have:
-High functionality (any function that i can even imagine -I will be able to get it in a few clicks)
-whithout any dependencies from OS(will be even run in guest account) or IE settings
-Low system memory usage
-High speed of loading sites, on-line video,etc.
-good support team with frequent updates and solution for users.
-free
-no adware, spyware of any kind, etc.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2009 06:57PM by drongo.

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 21, 2009 06:42PM

drongo, You seem to have a long list of must haves that YOU are going to make compatible for K-Meleon - so that YOU can use them and share them with me and others in forum. Thx in advance. :drool:

I admit I was never as ambitious and productive as You, so I ported only a few extensions (that I wanted for myself) and updated only a few skins (to save the original creators some work).

drongo
Advantages:

K-Meleon does not have the money to pay the traffic of a single day.sad smiley
If we had we'd give it to our few devs & not spent it on traffic.

K-Meleon's devs deselected XPI installer service with good reasons. It is not save. You cannot use any XUL add-ons by default since K-Meleon has no GUI made from XUL. Xulrunner/Firefox XPI installer service has sn automatic application checking service. The extension creator/team must explicitly choose which applications are included in the supported list that is in each install.rdf. PPL would come here and rant this or that of 1000s of extensions does not install.

And they would claim it is a K-Meleon bug. :mad:

So far only the NoScript and NewsFox makers have selected to support K-Meleon. & PPL already come here and claim that K-Meleon developers or the members of this user forum & not the extension vendors are responsible for keeping extensions updated or compatible.

BTW. did You have a look at NoScript home page. Because that is where NoScript updates for K-Meleon really are.

Other disadvantages of automatic checking for updated extensions ... a la Firefox, with automatic wait for results of this phone home on each start.
The browser starts slow. Which is bad in itself - apart from creating spying possibilities during the phone home. Pampering attracts seekers that complain and cite long lists of links what they must have. If we do not comply? Their next step normally - I go away because You do not help me to get my toy.

And most do not want to see that for technical reasons K-Meleon team currently cannot combine K-Meleon's lightness with the full support of Firefox add-ons.

drongo
that will have a full support of firefox add-on's without these 2 very bad things.

The pampering of 'all extensions on one site' negates the responsibility of the individual user for the state of his browser - so it is IMHO the final cause of these '2 bad things'.

BTW. I sometimes regret that Monkee-Sage, Sebastian and later I started to make some XUL extensions compatible for K-Meleon's use. These proof of concept adjustments just weted appetite for more. But the more jsbridge etc. the current K-Meleon devs created - the more is expected. & I was among the idiots that opened Pandora's box, sorry. sad smiley

Thx for reading my post.

:O I was 3 or 4 minute late grinning smiley

Well, he will not get his dream browser - without helping to create it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2009 06:50PM by guenter.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: May 21, 2009 07:52PM

drongo
I still did not find all k-meleon's extenstions that i like in firefox. Here my little list: grinning smiley

Wonder how much you (like most users) know about some of the extensions you like so much (in FF).
It's not my intend to start a discussion about browser extensions generally. Take it therefore just as a wee hint.
Author's motivations can be quite different. This is understandable and after all also IMO ok but could become problematic at least if they contradict with the interests of the user who doesn't even realize.
To be more specific, just to name 2 FF extensions from your list ( I guess the most popular ones) which might lead to a conflict of intersts:
Adblock Plus trying to block ads
NoScript trying to serve ads in order to make some revenues.

No wonder that the developers of the 2 extensions have been (or still are) on warpath.

Posted by: cgardener
Date: June 08, 2009 09:28PM

I don't want to see k-meleon get bogged down and bloated like FF. I loved the original FF, but now it's just a pain. I love km for browsing, because it's so fast, and doesn't get loaded down and hang up like other browsers.

I appreciate that KM does not want the unsafe .xpi add-ons, but I would simply like a "shareaholic" type add-on. I'm sure it can be done without the .xpi format.

Could the ShareThis button somehow be added to the toolbar? Otherwise, I will have to use k-meleon only for browsing, not for my business, which requires sharing on Facebook and Twitter.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: June 08, 2009 11:49PM

here's the very funny part.. because firefox extensions are xul/xpi, they don't interfere with km's interface which isn't xul based..the don't make menus(in km made by macros) they don't manipulate buttons or add toolbars(km uses native windows gui) they only become active when they are called from kmeleon even if it's onload.. because of all that; you can have as many xul extensions as you like installed in km..and the performance will not degrade even by a nanosecond .. it is always the same. km naked or km loaded.. km isn't affected.

edit: your business requires using facebook and twitter? sounds like a lotta fun business..anyway, on this page:
kmext.sourceforge.net

you will find 2 extensions
one is twitbin which allows posting and viewing your "tweets", it's actually a ported firefox extension.. the other extension(a simple macro) is called web bookmarker, which let's you share websites with many social bookmarks including shitfacebook

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2009 11:52PM by disrupted.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 09, 2009 11:55AM

@ drongo

A "Morning Coffee" alternate for KM can be done with the Groups2 macro. http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KmmGroups2

Just open in tabs all your Monday sites and save that group with the name "Monday". Do that for each day and you can open all of a day's sites with just two clicks.

Just for the record most KM users like KM to be very lean and very fast. I don't think we will ever use the xpi system like FF.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: June 10, 2009 02:52PM

Guenter,

The mark of a dying piece of software is nobody trying to play with it, so no excuses required for efforts to use xpi in a non-xul browser! Just think. By playing around with xpi, youse guys came up with innovative macros that now make KM much more customizable than ever before. (And the proof is in the pudding... the new, all-inclusive website site for km addons.)

N

Posted by: Paul
Date: June 10, 2009 09:24PM

disrupted

edit: your business requires using facebook and twitter? sounds like a lotta fun business..

let's you share websites with many social bookmarks including shitfacebook

You crack me up,grinning smiley I'm gonna try to find a way of putting your replies in my favorites.

I browse through these lists and then I find myself laughing at some remark and the author? Always disrupted. Thanks for cheering me up. smiling smiley

Posted by: CryptiK
Date: June 26, 2009 05:07AM

ndebord
...much more customizable than ever before. (And the proof is in the pudding... the new, all-inclusive website site for km addons.)

Ok call me ignorant, but, where would this site be?

Posted by: Paul
Date: June 26, 2009 02:43PM

CryptiK
ndebord
...much more customizable than ever before. (And the proof is in the pudding... the new, all-inclusive website site for km addons.)

Ok call me ignorant, but, where would this site be?

I think it's still being fined tuned but it's coming smiling smiley

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,94027

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2009 02:44PM by Paul.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.