Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
How install Java and Flash in K-Meleon Portable
Posted by: gringoles
Date: November 28, 2009 12:12AM

Hi

I use a windows bootable from cd, and so I only use portable app or I install it in my Win cd before make my iso.

I would like a way to make K-meleon supports java and flash (just to watch youtube and open some webs), if someone can tell me which registry entries I need and which and where I need set the files (of java and flash) it's enough

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How install Java and Flash in K-Meleon Portable
Posted by: disrupted
Date: November 28, 2009 02:30AM

java runtime has to be installed on the host machine, there's no other way to make a portable/usb km work with java aplets.

for flash, you only need to copy the flash plugin npswf32.dll into your k-meleon\plugins folder. this way k-meleon will support and display flash sites regardless of whether the host pc has flash installed or not(even if the host has flash installed, k-meleon will use the flash plugin version in its plugins folder)

you can download the npswf32.dll(latest flash 10 release) from there:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/mplug.htm

Date: November 28, 2009 05:22AM

disrupted
java runtime has to be installed on the host machine, there's no other way to make a portable/usb km work with java aplets.

http://kmext.sourceforge.net/mplug.htm

Thanks so much disrupted !!

It's great know that, now i have less then half of initial problem.

The good point is my I have Java runtime installed in my "host machine".
I use Reatogo to build my windows bootable, and there are java plugin that i installed. The IE in cd can support java, but maybe for default are only registry entries to IE (I don't know how it works)

Maybe you know how I can "tell" to km I have java on host or make java support km
any idea??

thanks again!

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 28, 2009 06:27AM

So far all attemps to get Java going on removable media (USB Stick) failed.
But situation seems different now.

Means Your CD has a working Java Environment!

My ideas.

Try to put the needed Java Plugins into K-Meleon plugins folder. K-Meleon automatically recognizes them and maybe they find their way to the JVM's jit.

If not?

Try:

On a stationary install the registry tells K-Meleon where the Java plugins are.
On each start new plugin info is written into K-Meleon's (any mozilla product does) pluginreg.dat. This file is in ./Profiles. Take it. put it to the stick. edit that the paths are relative or guide to the place where they are on system after start! If medium is writable use attribute "write protect" so that it cannot be rewritten by K-Meleon on next start.

If not?

Try: to set up plugins and K-Meleon like old Netscape 4 - it shipped its own Java engine. You would have to set up a Netscape 4 and look whether the idea can be used.

If not?
Look whether Java Plugin for Firefox works and how it is done. Maybe do this before trying with old version Netscape stup.

To find Your plugin names. Go to the about : Plugins of HDD installed K-Meleon and check the names of the plugins. Mine are

C:\Programme\Java\jre6\bin[b]npjpi160_14.dll[/b]
C:\Programme\Java\jre6\bin[b]npoji610.dll[/b]

Aftertought: if You install the same JVA Engine plugin on the same relative position on HDD, run K-Meleon once and put its pluginreg.dat on cd - maybe that is easiest to try first?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2009 07:13AM by guenter.

Date: November 28, 2009 08:29PM

guenter

Aftertought: if You install the same JVA Engine plugin on the same relative position on HDD, run K-Meleon once and put its pluginreg.dat on cd - maybe that is easiest to try first?

Great!! Really clever! you made it so simple! it works...
I did that, but didn't work at first.. then i took a look in pluginreg.dat... all the lines was about "c:\programs and files\..." so I changed to "%drivesystem%\programs\..." as the shares as mountes in CD, and it worked!smiling smiley

But now I have a last issue:
I set my preferences in km, so when I try open it I receive the follow msg:
"the selected profile can't be loaded. It's already in use or the profile folder is not accessible."

How can I set my km to only "read" the files, and re-write nothing?
(I was copying all km share to ramdrive to make tests"

thanks in advanced!

Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 28, 2009 10:56PM

@ gringoles

Could you have a good KM profile on the CD and copy it to the ramdisk prior to starting KM? That way KM can read and write to the ramdisk while your original is never read or written to by KM.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.