Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Package with Anti-Lockup Plugins
Posted by: Flexman
Date: March 14, 2014 03:09PM

I recently found K-Meleon which is a quick browser for my old netbook.

Unfortunately I'll still notce many sites locking up the computer with advertisements, flash, javascript or communitcation with google, facebook, etc. in the background.

Installing plugins appeared rather difficult to me, so how about making a package that contanis K-Meleon with some plugings that prevent K-Meleon from being locked by some sites?

That could be:
Ghostery (blocks this google/facebook background communictaion and some ads)
Adblock Edge
Something that gives you a button to enable Flash and Javascript manually

That would be great I think.

Also I'd rather have startpage.com as standard search engin than duckduckgo, but I guess you'd be able to change that somewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 03:11PM by Flexman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Package with Anti-Lockup Plugins
Posted by: siria
Date: March 14, 2014 03:36PM

Sounds like you haven't 'discovered' the privacy toolbar yet? The only one that's unfortunately hidden by default sad smiley
And not all skins contain it, but the default ones.
That toolbar contains buttons for some settings from Menu Tools / Privacy, and I use it all the time to toggle some permissions instantly, especially javascript and UserAgent.
There are more buttons than initially shown, and yet more can be added manually, or hidden (Edit > Configuration > Toolbars)

The tricky thing about blocking flash is, that it stops blocking as soon as javascript is blocked! So by default you can only have one or the other block, unless you go into about:config and also block "objects", which means all *embedded* plugin stuff incl. flash (if I got that right, am just a user)
permissions.default.object / 2 (=blocked)
Keep hoping since years that this may be included to the privacy stuff by default too, as well as DOM Storage, both default gecko prefs, but so far no luck :-(
Fortunately could make myself another privbar button to block "objects" too, but that requires some experience and a little macro. A fitting button image is already in the privbar toolbar of the custom classiria skin, but probably the only one.

Also take a look at the FAQ
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/FAQ?switchlang=en

The search options can be found in F2 > Browsing > Finding websites
and there are several tabs on the right side.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 03:49PM by siria.

Posted by: Flexman
Date: March 14, 2014 04:08PM

Oh thank you! Thats so much better now!
But it doesn't seem like it blocks all these trackers that Ghostery blocks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 04:12PM by Flexman.

Date: March 14, 2014 07:25PM

Glad it helps smiling smiley
Over and over I see that new users aren't aware of this unique feature, and even when telling them about it, many seem to hesitate to even look at it. No idea why, perhaps because of the name, hardly anyone cares about 'privacy' anymore in times of FB etc. But this bar is also vital for speed and safety.

Don't know about ghostery, sorry, but perhaps you'll find something related among the ton of extensions over on kmext.sf.net

BTW, which version are you using? The official ones on the download page are badly outdated. There's a newer 1.6beta2.6 version by JamesD which is the most stable and works quite well, but with outdated gecko engine, and there's the brandnew but still a bit buggy K-Meleon74 beta3, both in this forum. KM16 is linked in rodocops sig line, and KM74 latest posting in "development"

Posted by: JamesD
Date: March 15, 2014 11:57AM

@ Flexman

If you decide to try the new KM 74 beta 3, I have working code for policy manager and exException. They both allow blocking specifc items from sites.

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 16, 2014 01:15PM

Flexman

Installing plugins appeared rather difficult to me, so how about making a package that contanis K-Meleon with some plugings that prevent K-Meleon from being locked by some sites?

Something that gives you a button to enable Flash and Javascript manually

That would be great I think.

It is not hard to install K-Meleon extensions. Go to the extension page and install the Extension mangager. That will do the install for You.

But K-Meleon is no Firefox clone so forget to ask for easy install of Firefox Extensions. IMHO You assumed that can be done. Yes. Many Firefox Extension will work but the user that wants them must make them compatible to K-Meleon himself.

I have noticed that You have an ISP in a German speaking country. The latest developer version contains a German (and a French) translation. Though German still has some French and English strings from an attempt to fix some bugs and some forgotten items.

Currently Dorian is fixing core problems and problems with old features not including new things.

Extended page behavioral control will come when naruman's current work is checked in and translated.

You can get a peek and use naruman's current work if You download his 74b2+1.

Among the new features is a button to deactivate flash while JS is working.
It will attach to the privacy bar.

Create a ./k-meleon/skin sub-folder called default and put the pic into it, that I have attached to this post.

Then create a file called flash.kmm with a text editor, insert the code I post now, save it as flash.kmm and place the resulting flash.kmm into the macros folder.

Restart the browser. And switch Privacy Bar on.

# flash.kmm for K-Meleon 74

$pref_Objects="permissions.default.object";
$pref_DomStorage="dom.storage.enabled";

pref_ToggleObjects{
macroinfo=_("Toggle object loading");
menuchecked=(getpref(INT,$pref_Objects)==2);
togglepref(INT,$pref_Objects,1,2); &_pref_SyncButtons2;
statusbar(sub("%s",getpref(INT,$pref_Objects)==2?$off:$on,_("Object loading %s")));
}
pref_ToggleDomStorage{
macroinfo=_("Toggle DomStorage-supercookies");
menuchecked=!getpref(BOOL,$pref_DomStorage);
togglepref(BOOL,$pref_DomStorage); &_pref_SyncButtons2;
statusbar(sub("%s",!getpref(BOOL,$pref_DomStorage)?$off:$on,_("DomStorage support %s")));
}

# ----PRIVATE

# Menu Integration
_pref_BuildMenu2{
setmenu(_Privacy_Settings,macro,"Block &Objects",pref_ToggleObjects);
setmenu(_Privacy_Settings,macro,"Block DOM SuperCookies",pref_ToggleDomStorage);
}
$OnInit=$OnInit."_pref_BuildMenu2;";

# Toolbar Integration
_pref_SyncButtons2{
pluginmsg(toolbars,"CheckButton","&Privacy Bar,macros(pref_ToggleObjects),".(getpref(INT,$pref_Objects)==2?1:0));
#pluginmsg(toolbars,"CheckButton","&Privacy Bar,macros(pref_ToggleDomStorage),".(getpref(BOOL,$pref_DomStorage)?0:1));
}
_pref_BulidToolbar{
$info =_("Block Flash Objects");
$info1 =_("Block Flash Coockes");
pluginmsg(toolbars,"AddButton","&Privacy Bar,Flash OnOff,macros(pref_ToggleObjects),,".$info.",64,13,Flash.bmp[1],Flash.bmp[0],","");
#pluginmsg(toolbars,"AddButton","&Privacy Bar,Storage OnOff,macros(pref_ToggleDomStorage),,".$info1.",64,13,Flash.bmp[3],Flash.bmp[2],","");
}

$OnSetup=$OnSetup."_pref_BulidToolbar;";
$OnLoad=$OnLoad."_pref_SyncButtons2;";
$OnStartup=$OnStartup."_pref_SyncButtons2;";

If You want German for it.

Create a file flash.kml, save it as UTF-8 and place it in locales de next to kmeleon.kml.

Copy and paste into it:

Block Flash Objects=Flash Objekte blockieren
Object loading %s=Laden von Flash %s

p.s. Falls du zur CEBIT in Hannover kommst, kannst du mir ja einen ausgeben. Lach

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2014 02:50PM by guenter.

Attachments: Flash.bmp (9.8 KB)  
Date: March 16, 2014 02:52PM

Halleluja! Dass ich das noch erleben darf, out-of-the-box mit Flash UND JS blocker! grinning smiley

(PS: genauer Pfad für das neue Bildchen ist K-Meleon/skins/default)

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 16, 2014 05:05PM

Siria, der müsste auch bei dir gehen oder?

Flexman, Du findest die Version mit dem neuen Kram von naruman hier:

https://app.box.com/s/frr03dq4xtkczc73z4w1

Die häufigen Updates dazu unter Forum Suche: naruman.

Du musst auf seine Version immer die Core Updates k-m.exe und kplugins.dll von Dorian drauf kopieren. Dann geht alles besser.

Date: March 16, 2014 06:29PM

Keine Ahnung, aber zur Zeit geht bei mir downloadmäßig eh fast nichts, bin auf Modem mit 1-5 kBps Geschwindigkeit, und so nach 1-3MB üblicherweise Abbruch der Verbindung. Aber Forum lesen geht auch so noch ganz gut :-)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.