Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
backing up bookmarks
Posted by: phenix
Date: June 23, 2010 02:38PM

First let me say that I do a complete backup of my computer on an external
hard drive. This all fine and good as long as you are going to restore
it in the same computer and OS. If your present computer drops dead and the new
computer has a different OS, then your backup is worthless.
I would like a way so save the book marks on my external disk separate from
the Old OS. Then this external backup would have to be able to be re-stored
in the new computer with the new K-Meleon and New OS.
Can this be done or is it the old make a copy and hand keying a 100+ items.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: backing up bookmarks
Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 23, 2010 04:59PM

Bookmarks are in a file with the name "bookmarks.html" which is located, usually, in your profile. You can back up just the bookmarks or your entire profile.

Posted by: phenix
Date: June 23, 2010 07:37PM

Thanks for responding.
I am using Windows Vista.
I did a search on "bookmarks.html".
It found 2 items:
program files/ k-meleon/defaults/profile (2.95k)
users/jack/application data/roaming/k-meleon/he8....... (19.1k)

Which one would I save?

Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 23, 2010 08:58PM

The second one is the one to save. The small one is the default which is put into an empty profile. The really big one is the one in your profile and is holding your current bookmarks.

Posted by: MarkS
Date: July 15, 2010 11:34PM

I tried to back-up my bookmarks as a test. I looked in every folder and looked at everything in the K-Meleon folder, and all I can find is the 2.95k Bookmark thing (the Bookmarks starter, before the user adds any Bookmarks). There is no Bookmark.HTML in my installation (I'm using XP Pro, if that matters). Any idea where my Bookmarks (to back-up) could be hiding?
I hope to find a way to back-up my bookmarks, because as much as I love K-Meleon, I cannot use it without the ability to back-up my bookmarks.
Thanks,
MarkS.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: July 16, 2010 01:52AM

2 extensions to backup your profile including bookmarks
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext7.htm

the xul version offers an option to just backup the bookmarks without the entire rofile

there's nothing easier than backing up your bookmarks manually..just copy the file bookmarks.html in your profile to any location and to restore it, copy back the backup to the profile..regardless of the platform or os; it works the same way. click on edit>configuration>directories/folders>profile folder and you will find the bookmarks file there..i don't understand what's the fuss about

Date: July 16, 2010 04:20AM

No offense, but what is up with open-source advice?
First I'm being told to copy bookmarks.html which is physically impossible. As I stated in my first post, my installation does NOT HAVE a bookmarks.html. Not in my profile, not anywhere. NO bookmarks.html in my profile, no bookmarks.html anywhere. I cannot copy bookmarks.html because there IS NO BOOKMARKS.HTML! I looked at EVERYTHING in the K-Meleon folder, and there is NO bookmarks.html. How do I copy what does not exist? And how do I make it understandable that my installation HAS NO bookmarks.html?
Secondly, I'm told to "click on edit>configuration>directories/folders>profile folder and you will find the bookmarks.html file there." Again K-Meleon makes this impossible. I click on:
edit>
configuration>, and then a choice of the following:
Browser configuration
User settings
User-defined style sheet
Ad-blocking style sheet
Toolbars
Menu Icons
Accelerators
Macros
User-defined macros
Menus
Commands List
Profile directories
The options offered by K-Meleon are not even close to what I'm told. As can be clearly seen, there is NO directories/folders>profile folder available from the ‘Edit" drop down menu. I try clicking on "Profile directories", and nothing happens. Literally, nothing happens. So I went to My Computer>Program files>K-Meleon>Profile folder, but NO WHERE in the profile folder OR in the K-Meleon folder is bookmarks.html. I will say it again, there IS NO bookmarks.html anywhere!
And not having 10 years intensive experience with Linux and open-source software, I have little chance of figuring out how to use the xul thing (I tried).
On the other hand, I can click a couple of times and my bookmarks are backed-up in IE8, Opera or Firefox. Thanks anyway, K-Meleon.

Posted by: siria
Date: July 16, 2010 07:13AM

Man, Mark, that was just a little typo, can happen in a hurry, but IMHO wasn't that hard to realize he meant this one:

Edit > Configuration > Profile directory

But that is only the *default* location.
Well possibly that you had chosen another.
No problem either:

Menu Bookmarks > Options

On the right pane there's a field with the full path of the current bookmarks, wherever a user has put them.
That hard to find??

And then I guess there are also a few extensions available for bookmarks. Personally I don't use them, so no idea, but possibly they use their own ways and paths.

But yes , I'd certainly find it very important too that KM offers a menu point for "backup bookmarks", out-of-the-box.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2010 07:30AM by siria.

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: July 16, 2010 08:23AM

Edited (a)(4)(in the FolderSearching part) much later!

Hi, MarkS,

if you don't mind, let us try to go about it systematically:

(a) Are you sure it really is "bookmarks" we are talking about? Not "Favorites", not "Opera Hotlist"?
Find out by hitting F2, expanding "K-Meleon Plugins". There is a settings page for all three of them, each page with an "Enable support for..." tickbox as the first item. Make sure the one on the "Netscape Bookmarks" page is ticked, untick the other two for the time being. Restart K-M (+the loader..) Should your bookmarks be gone now altogether, we were NOT talking about bookmarks! -let us know, then.

(b) Now, assuming we WERE talking about bookmarks, then I'm positive you DO have 2 bookmarks.html files for K-Meleon.
One is in
program files/k-meleon/defaults/profile (2.95k)
those are the out-of-the-box bookmarks.
The other one is the one you will want to backup. It IS in your profile folder - even if your Vista installation can't be moved by K-Meleon to open that in Explorer when you click
Edit>Configuration>Profile Directory.

(c) So, let's find your Profile Folder

(I don't have Vista, so I don't know WHAT steps you have to take to be shown each&every file or folder ..., on earlier Windows it was a good idea to have a look at CtrlPanel -> Folder Options.)

[a] check existence of a profile.ini in K-M folder:
      [1] not present: profile in AppDataFolder
      [2] present, contains "isrelative=0": profile in AppData Folder

[3] present, contains "isrelative=1": profile in K-Meleon Folder, within the folder with the name given in "path=",
      [4] present, but empty: profile in K-Meleon Folder, within the folder with the name "Profiles".

Now, the default for that "path=" is "Profiles", meaning: ALL the profiles used by that installation of K-M store their PROFILE DATA (files&folders! including bookmarks.html) in SUBFOLDERS of a folder called "Profiles" in one of the said locations.

Now find out more:

{b] open profiles.ini in "Profiles": (what a difference an "s" makes...)
      [1] (1st line) [ProfileNumber] : start Counting from Zero!
      [2] (2nd line) Name= : The name you see in the ProfileManager PopUp window
      [3] (3rd line) Path= : The name of the folder containing your actual profile.
      [4] (4th line) IsRelative= : do not change the value given here unless you know what you are doing.
      [5] (5th line) Default= : only one out of the profiles listed should show a "1" here. That will be the default, the standard, the one that is loaded automatically, all others should have a "0" here.
      [6] ("General"line) StartWithLastProfile=1 : imagine you loaded a different profile by starting from the commandline or a shortcut - would you want K-Meleon to use that one from then on, on every new start? then it should be "1", else "0".

If this does not help you to find your bookmarks.html, please post the contents of your profiles.ini, and of your profile.ini if you've got one.

MarkS
No offense, but what is up with open-source advice?

Well, considering it IS free, and no one is being paid for it ... No offense, but: as this was not about having lost your bookmarks, how about a bit more patience and less alarm?

EDIT: siria was faster, and easier:

On the right pane there's a field with the full path of the current bookmarks, wherever a user has put them.
That hard to find??

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2010 07:37PM by SoerenB.

Posted by: panzer
Date: July 16, 2010 08:45AM

disrupted

there's nothing easier than backing up your bookmarks manually..just copy the file bookmarks.html in your profile to any location and to restore it, copy back the backup to the profile..regardless of the platform or os; it works the same way. click on edit>configuration>directories/folders>profile folder and you will find the bookmarks file there..i don't understand what's the fuss about

I agree. There was one guy at techsupportalert forum that went mental about this. I told him the same (just copy bookmarks.html anywhere you want), but he did not want to hear anything about it and still posted messages how he likes Km but hates it because, as all normal browser can, just can not back-up bookmarks. He said he was on this forum, but nobody could help him. Weird guy.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: July 16, 2010 03:54PM

http://kmext.sourceforge.net/files/bookmarksbackup.7z

access from bookmarks menu>bookmarks backup>create|restore

Date: July 16, 2010 09:21PM

Yesterday I installed K-Meleon, re-started my computer, and looked for a way to back-up my bookmarks. Not finding a way, I posted on this forum, and tried following the advice given. I went to My Computer>Program files>K-Meleon>Profile, but NO WHERE in the profile folder or anywhere in the K-Meleon folder was there a file named bookmarks.html. There is still no file named bookmarks.html.

So I tried putting my cursor on Edit>Configuration>Profile directory, and when I clicked the blued ‘Profile directory', the drop-down menu disappeared, but nothing else happened. No window opened up. Today I tried again, and when I clicked on Edit>Configuration>Profile directory, a window opened. Why didn't a window open yesterday? I don't know (no, I was not drinking), but I shut my computer off last night and re-started it today, and now K-Meleon works just like suggested, and the Profile directory window contains two files: bookmarks, and bookmark_backup. I can copy either one of those files to a location of my choice, and I have a backup of my bookmarks. So my problem is solved, and thanks to everyone for your help. I appreciate the help and the incredibly fast response.

"No offense, but what is up with open-source advice?"
I'm sorry for that wisecrack.
MarkS

Date: July 16, 2010 09:45PM

Hmm... Glad it works now, but...

MarkS
...There is still no file named bookmarks.html
(....)
...the Profile directory window contains two files: bookmarks, and bookmark_backup.

that doesn't make much sense to me, am wondering if your file explorer is still set to "hide known extensions" or such? But wouldn't a search still find a filename with its ending and list it as a hit...?? *confused*

MarkS
Why didn't a window open yesterday? I don't know (no, I was not drinking), but I shut my computer off last night and re-started it today, and now K-Meleon works just like suggested

It's a funny effect but not the first time someone says that everything suddenly started working after a computer restart. A suspicion is that perhaps one of the safety programs may insist on this to recognize new programs as 'safe', that they exist at startup already, and otherwise it may block some functions... On the other hand you wrote you restarted already right after the KM installation, so this stays a bit weird ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2010 09:52PM by siria.

Date: July 17, 2010 03:55PM

Siria said:
that doesn't make much sense to me, am wondering if your file explorer is still set to "hide known extensions" or such? But wouldn't a search still find a filename with its ending and list it as a hit...?? *confused*
Yeah, I'm confused to. The only thing I changed was a few Preferences options. I'm not sure what my file explorer is set to. The only search I know how to do is the the Windows XP Start>Search>Files and Folders>All Files and Folders search, and it brings up 4 files, all named bookmarks (but not bookmarks.html). They are Firefox, IE8 a backup of FF, and one is the 2.95 K-Meleon 'starter' or 'out of the box' bookmarks. That search does not even find the two bookmarks files available if I click on Edit>Configuration>Profile directory.

Siria Said:
On the other hand you wrote you restarted already right after the KM installation, so this stays a bit weird ;-)
OK, there is an 80% chance I restarted after installing KM. The truth is, I cannot remember for certain if I restarted before my 2nd post or not, but that is the standard trick I try if things are not working right.

As to your suspicion that a safety program caused this:
I never thought of that, but that is a possibility. I run Commodo firewall, and there have been times I had to turn it off to install software, or else it tells me I'm not logged in as administrator.

A menu option for backing up bookmarks? Now that it is working, the method KM provides is as easy, or even easier then what the other browsers offer.

Unrelated question: Other people are putting a box around quotes. Does the Formatted Code option on the Forum toolbar do this? I tried it, but the Preview just showed <code> before and after the quote.

PS
Ok, my computer is messing with me. Just out of curiosity I did a final Start>Search>etc of bookmarks, and now my search brings up 6 bookmark files, including the KM file that I need to backup. Five minutes ago I did a search, and it only found 4 files named bookmarks. Oh well.

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: July 17, 2010 04:32PM

Hi, MarkS,

maybe this page about Folder-Options for Vista may help you understanding what siria alleged to here:

wondering if your file explorer is still set to "hide known extensions"

If you untick "Hide Extensions of known file types", you will be shown the ".html" extension of your bookmarks file when searching (after the next reboot, or at least LogOff/On, that is).

Cheers
SoerenB

PS: Sorry, I thought you were on Vista, but you are on XP - so I could have told you before without having to check first if this setting was identical between XP and Vista - it IS the same on XP!

PPS: If the above link does not help you to find the "Folder Options": I usually access that via the Control Panel

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2010 05:02PM by SoerenB.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: July 17, 2010 04:39PM

phenix
First let me say that I do a complete backup of my computer on an external
hard drive. This all fine and good as long as you are going to restore
it in the same computer and OS. If your present computer drops dead and the new
computer has a different OS, then your backup is worthless.
I would like a way so save the book marks on my external disk separate from
the Old OS. Then this external backup would have to be able to be re-stored
in the new computer with the new K-Meleon and New OS.
Can this be done or is it the old make a copy and hand keying a 100+ items.
Thanks

Phenix,

In addition to using KM's bookmark manager, you could go to Disrupted's site and download GUL and use that. GUL imports and exports KM bookmarks, while providing stable alternative bookmark management.

http://kmext.sourceforge.net/files/kmbookmarker.7z

N

Date: July 17, 2010 05:35PM

MarkS
Unrelated question: Other people are putting a box around quotes. Does the Formatted Code option on the Forum toolbar do this? I tried it, but the Preview just showed <code> before and after the quote.

Highlight some lines and then click the button just left of the code button, the icon is a large " character. Or instead of clicking on "Reply" to start a post one can also click on "Quote", next to "Reply". Personally I have javascript off and use a macro to afterwards turn lines into quotes, but if you see the code button then your javascript is turned on, no prob.

MarkS
Ok, my computer is messing with me. Just out of curiosity I did a final Start>Search>etc of bookmarks, and now my search brings up 6 bookmark files, including the KM file that I need to backup. Five minutes ago I did a search, and it only found 4 files named bookmarks.

Possibly you started the search in another folder, although that thing really does weird stuff sometimes, so no idea... Anyway, if you click the folder icon near the "start" button (I just hope it's there, actually I'm at the moment on a german win98 box, so half guessing ;-), this should open the file explorer. In it you can start a search directly by right-clicking on the folder in which you want to search.

By the way your profile folder is not necessarily in the programs/K-Meleon folder, it can just as well be in your appdata folder. Depends if at the setup you chose "multi-user" or "single-user" option. But at any rate KM opens the correct folder if you use the menu as you did already.

And yes absolutely, as Soeren explained, check out your folder options! The default settings by Microsoft are absolutely idiotic, sorry!! When the file explorer is open, click on Tools>Folder Options and check out at all the stuff you find there. Also the stuff in the neighbor tabs like "General" and "Search", if that exists!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.