Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Autocomplete in address bar, reading from favorites.
Posted by: santamaria
Date: March 31, 2011 06:19AM

Correct me if I've missed some option in the Preferences dialog, but I think it would be nice to have the ability to have autocomplete in the address bar that reads from your bookmarks/favorites.

This feature existed in TheWorld browser (and maybe others, I don't know). You would begin typing in a word in the address bar, then a drop down would appear that would, on the fly, list all the bookmarks that contained the typed word - either in the name of the bookmark or in its address.

Example:
I would begin typing in 'comm', and the following item would appear in the drop down (along with other links/names that contained 'comm'):
https://github.com/icsharpcode/SharpDevelop/commits/

This would be really nice to have, since imo K-meleon's only shortcoming is the inconveniant bookmark-usage facilities. I have hundreds of bookmarks and they are all organized in multiple levels of folders. So when I have to open 7 or 8 bookmarks, I have to access the menu 8 times and navigate among submenus 8 times.

There is no sidebar (like Opera) in K-meleon that I know of that makes opening a million links easily.

I know that K-meleon has nick-naming ability and also a 'Groups' extension, but that will only be useful for opening groups of frequently accessed links.
I am a beginner developer too, and in the process of learning, I create lots of bookmarks and open a random combination of links everyday. So being able to quickly navigate my bookmarks list and open several random links is a frequent task. Either via autocomplete, or via a collapseable sidebar containing my bookmarks.

Again, pardon me if I've missed something obvious, but there be my first forum post.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Autocomplete in address bar, reading from favorites.
Posted by: JamesD
Date: March 31, 2011 12:34PM

@ santamaria

I don't think you have missed anything obvious. The URL bar has the autocomplete but it is from history rather than bookmarks. Control of the autocomplete is from EDIT - PREFERENCES - BROWSING - FINDING WEBSITES - URL BAR. I use favorites myself, but I have not seen any way to autocomplete them.

Posted by: siria
Date: March 31, 2011 04:41PM

Yes, I agree that would be nice, but don't see it at the horizon yet.
Perhaps post here? grinning smiley
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?2,115396

Posted by: santamaria
Date: March 31, 2011 06:42PM

Thanks for the heads up with the link!

Posted by: RobMonty1987
Date: June 20, 2011 09:29PM

Sorry to revive an older thread, but I feel I have related news to share.

I only recently discovered K-meleon, but I am already in love with it. There are a few querks like not being compatible with major sites like Youtube etc, but my love for it overcame this. The REAL problem I had was that it auto-completed text for typed URLs, but not for bookmarks, so I set out on a mission to make myself a nice little app to use in conjunction with K-meleon. I call it QuickURL.

The app itself is simple and small and in day 2 stages, and I myself am no master programmer so its not the prettiest thing in the world, but it works. Essentially it will allow you to launch URLs quickly and remotely to your default browser, allow you to create bookmarks, and even save current web pages to bookmarks. On top of that it will let you type the actual name of the bookmark and launch it instead of the URL.

Example: I type "Kmeleon forums", hit enter, and get brought here, instead of typing "http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/posting.php?4,reply,115716";.

What does this have to do with this post? Well... it has autocomplete for bookmarks for both their title and URL! Simply start to type the site URL or the bookmark title, then hit the number for the autocomplete suggestion pop-up list to link to that page.

You can download QuickURL here

I would like very much to know if there is another way to achieve autocompletion of bookmarks/favorites in any K-meleon version so I don't waste my time further tongue sticking out smiley Also, feedback is very much appreciated. I can make another version of the same program that will also complete K-meleon bookmarks, but I have yet to do this, the main reason being that I would like to dabble more before I make something to grace K-meleons greatness. Including more uses is always a good thing. So let me know if I should continue to work on this project or abandon it entirely. Thanks guys.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few notes...

- This is an application built by me, someone with limited experience in the field, and it is a very early release, so there will be querks and possible bugs, but nothing major.

- Right now I have a maximum of 10 bookmarks available. If you want to save any more after that you will have to overwrite.

- Typing anything beginning with a "[" will bring up some text that you should ignore, it is merely words in a .ini file meant to categorize the bookmarks for editing purposes, but I have not removed them yet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: jsnj
Date: June 20, 2011 10:16PM

RobMonty1987
Sorry to revive an older thread, but I feel I have related news to share.

I only recently discovered K-meleon, but I am already in love with it. There are a few querks like not being compatible with major sites like Youtube etc, but my love for it overcame this. The REAL problem I had was that it auto-completed text for typed URLs, but not for bookmarks,
---
I would like very much to know if there is another way to achieve autocompletion of bookmarks/favorites in any K-meleon version so I don't waste my time further tongue sticking out smiley

You can try - Preferences - Browsing - History - URL Bar History - Any Visited Location.

For Bookmarks, you can give each a nick when adding or editing bookmarks. Type the nick in the URL bar and it will go to the bookmark. No autocomplete necessary.

For youtube compatibility, change the UA to Firefox. If you're using KM 1.5..upgrade to 1.6b. Less site compatibility issues, Bugs are relatively minor.

Date: June 20, 2011 10:44PM

Thanks so much for the info. I didn't realize this. I do like my autocomplete on a browser though, so at the very least I think I will make a small app to run alongside K-meleon and autocomplete favorited/bookmarked URLs.

Posted by: siria
Date: June 20, 2011 10:51PM

Welcome Rob, and thanx for contributing smiling smiley

RobMonty1987
it has autocomplete for bookmarks for both their title and URL!

Sounds great smiling smiley

RobMonty1987
Then hit the number for the autocomplete suggestion pop-up list (...)

Right now I have a maximum of 10 bookmarks available. If you want to save any more after that you will have to overwrite.

Hmm, but this sounds confusing - does it not use the normal KM bookmarks file, but a separate, special bookmarks system like in some ini-file?

Youtube, hihi, that's the site that throws an "old browser" complaint on FF2 users and kicks them out, but lets KM1.5x pass through graciously grinning smiley (unless they changed it meanwhile again, haven't checked).
It's true that in KM1,5x there are some layout bugs, but they can be fixed with some CSS snippets in user.js, look around in the forum or wiki for "stylesheets".
In KM1.6 the layout should work okay by itself...

Date: June 22, 2011 04:01PM

Yes it uses a separate INI file for writing bookmarks. The reason it doesn't just use the k-meleon file is because I wanted it universal for any browser. Bookmarks work anywhere, etc. However I do plan to create something much more customized for K-meleon later on down the road.

By the way THANKS for that information I will check that out. I thought I downloaded 1.6 but I could be wrong. Some images arent loading. As a matter of fact I just checked firefox out (still have it for emergencies) and it is doing even worse at loading images and vids atm, so I clearly have a problem that isn't necessarily K-meleon. I'll look further into it in the meantime, thanks.

Posted by: MXB
Date: June 22, 2011 07:59PM

siria
Youtube, hihi, that's the site that throws an "old browser" complaint on FF2 users and kicks them out, but lets KM1.5x pass through graciously grinning smiley (unless they changed it meanwhile again, haven't checked).

Youtube LOVES K-Meleon. :-) It's my preferred choice for watching YT. Opera 10.63 and FF 1.5 download really slowly.

FF 1.5 gets the old browser msg but I fixed that by having FF pretend to be K-Meleon!

--
P2 400 MHz, 128 MB, Win 98 SE

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.