Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
K-Meleon seems to work better on a big computer
Posted by: R W
Date: December 29, 2014 04:33AM

On my desktop computer, K-Mel is blazing fast. Twice as fast as Chrome!!!

On my netbook, Chrome is a little faster.

Anyone get a lot of speed on a light computer?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon seems to work better on a big computer
Posted by: Rain
Date: January 02, 2015 09:49AM

nvm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2015 07:15PM by Rain.

Posted by: siria
Date: January 02, 2015 10:55AM

My first guess would be different settings, either on KM or the system or malware scanners etc.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 02, 2015 12:36PM

My desktop is wired directly to my DSL but my laptop must use a wirelesss router. I can see a small difference because my speed on the desktop is 6k while on the laptop I get less than 5k. The amount of memory makes a difference also. I have 3 gig on the desktop and only 2 gig on the laptop.

You must account for these things when making a comparison.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: January 20, 2015 09:14PM

JamesD
My desktop is wired directly to my DSL but my laptop must use a wirelesss router. I can see a small difference because my speed on the desktop is 6k while on the laptop I get less than 5k. The amount of memory makes a difference also. I have 3 gig on the desktop and only 2 gig on the laptop.

You must account for these things when making a comparison.

can u upgrade your desktop PC from 3Gb to at least 4Gb, James?
I have 6Gb of RAM pre-installed on a Dell Inspiron 620 desktop PC - max RAM amount on that computer I can put on there is 8 gigs.
I too see a small difference between K-meleon, Cyberfox and Google Chrome 64bit browsers on the Dell computer; slight edge to KM.

Date: January 21, 2015 02:16AM

Physical ram in desktop is 4 gigs. My Win 7 there is the 32 bit version so Windows can only see 3 gigs.

The laptop has 64 bit windows and I hope to get an upgrade from 2 to 4 gigs there this week.

Posted by: jopower
Date: February 26, 2015 08:10AM

I'm running KM on 2 laptops now. One a 2002 aged, 1.7 ghz Pentuim M, 1 gb RAM and WinXP. The other is a 2008 model, 2.8 ghz Centrino Duo core, 2 gb RAM and Vista. Both run off dialup via Netzero and Juno (2 seperate 10 hour freebee accounts) or wierless at the local coffee shop. My home page and browser is "DuckDuckGo" which also helps cut bandwidth by not calling home to tell mom. In all cases I find KM runs a bit faster than other browsers and is, so far, less prone to freeze-ups.

I haven't used it on YouTube at the coffee shop yet and am wondering how it will handle flash graphics, a real test. I don't see that Adobe or Silver are installed in the plugins. I'd appreciate a link to a discussion on them in KM. Thank you!!

Date: February 26, 2015 04:34PM

This link will let you test flash player and has links for downloading flash player.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Posted by: foliator
Date: March 02, 2015 02:59PM

I can't come up with exact figures, but for what it's worth, KM loads pages dramatically faster than IE9 on my Windows 7 netbook, which has only 1 GB of RAM. It also starts up and loads pages faster than the last version of Firefox I used: 15.0.1. My friend has a laptop with 2 GB of RAM and a dual-core processor, also running Win7. IE9 was crashing frequently on his system, until I installed KM 74 on it. The difference there was just as dramatic.

Interestingly, I am using a very outdated version of Flash (10.3 r183), the same one that I had installed for FF. The reason was that the later versions actually slowed down the loading of street view images in Google Maps. Newer versions of Flash for IE9 were just as bad. For some strange reason, when I installed my FF on my friend's machine, the browser was as slow as molasses on street view, virtually unusable, yet the same version of Flash is on his system for KM, and runs very fast.

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 02, 2015 06:49PM

jopower
The other is a 2008 model, 2.8 ghz Centrino Duo core, 2 gb RAM and Vista. Both run off dialup via Netzero and Juno (2 seperate 10 hour freebee accounts) or wierless at the local coffee shop.

Try to install a dual boot with XP SP3.

Cave: make sure to google and read HOW's first. Else You will destroy Your Vista.

XP will probably improve performance.

guenter/ME is on a:

CPU Type Mobile DualCore AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-56, 1800 MHz (9 x 200)
Motherboard Name FUJITSU SIEMENS AMILO Pa 2510

2 GB RAM ...

An almost contemporary AMD version of Your system. Mine originally also hosted VISTA.

I first moved onto XP / VISTA dual boot, I had a spare XP corp pro (likely You can find a "free" one in the USENET by now. Oh yes I had to reinstall VISTA - I did not google and read the/my HOW 2's sad smiley).

Later I reduced the number of systems to XP because of VISTA's lack luster performance - compared to XP. I still have dual boot but 2 XP.

Another thing to try is Win 7. Also more performance than VISTA. No idea about 8+ but they might be worth a try if You get hold of one for cheap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2015 06:56PM by guenter.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: March 02, 2015 09:48PM

Vista SHOULD be destroyed! :cool:

Even Win 7 is more smooth and comfortable in work! (in terms of system load).

I'm Windows tech and troubleshooter too, so I can say for sure that Vista is the most ugly Windows system ever!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.