Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Putting a Bookmark on the Decktop - Easier Way?
Posted by: jopower
Date: February 26, 2015 08:58AM

One of the things I did like about IE was the ease of adding a desktop shortcut for any webpage. K-Meleon doesn't have it, nor even a "Send to" menu that I can find. I 've just searched for "Desktop Shortcut" (without "") and got "No results were found" to see if anyone else has thought about it. I DID discover I can add one by getting out of full screen and dragging the icon in front of the URL to a blank spot on the desktop off the edge of my KM window. This isn't what I would call an easy way of going about it compared to IE (availible since the Win95 days).

Further, as a tech assisting many seniors (I'm almost one) and some very untechie younger users, I can tell you they like these shortcuts ALOT, regardless of browser. I often set them for webmail, Facebook and Youtube and am thanked each time. Only IE makes it easy for them to make one themselves. I very much want K-Meleon to be able to do this. It will put KM above Firefox and others without the function. If KM must not do it IE's way (copyrights, patents...) then I'd put it, in order of pref, (1) as a standalone under the "File" menu or (2) in the Bookmarks menu right under "Add Page" as "Add Shortcut to Desktop" (and don't you dare put it buried in the "Add Page" pop-up window somewhere!!!) or (3) in "File > Save Page As" as a specific button... which I think ALL the save as "types" should be. Thank you!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 09:01AM by jopower.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Putting a Bookmark on the Desktop - Easier Way?
Posted by: siria
Date: February 26, 2015 09:50AM

Hi jopower,
You haven't discovered the tons of KM macros out there yet, have you? I know they are very easily overlooked here.

Try kmext.sf.net, and here in this forum the "extensions" department, and rather outdated some here http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/MacroLibrary

I'm sure there are already some macros out there who can "Send To" desktop etc., although they may be a bit outdated, as so much KM stuff is, especially the wiki.

As a matter of fact I've just in the last days added this desktop function to my own years old favorites-macro, which I'm working hard on again lately to **finally** get it from messy into in a publishable state. Still not quite finished yet, but Desktop-Links are ready and work great. Hope to get a first version finished in the next days or few weeks.

PS: Especially for customizing menus KM is great, if you just want to move a menu line elsewhere you can always ask in the forum to get tips. Not all can be moved, but nearly, and all macro created ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 09:53AM by siria.

Options: ReplyQuote

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.