Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Latest Upgrade: YT Comment Posting Fail / Black Screen / Menu Issues
Posted by: JJP
Date: May 27, 2015 08:47PM

Dear K-Meleon,

Thanks for your free and most excellent browser.

I am currently, using the upgrade K-Meleon74.0.exe. I wish to request some improvements asap.

1) Youtube comment fail-post issue. It is impossible for me (Operating system Windows XP) to post comments on youtube with this upgrade.

2) Scrolling on some tabs... the screen goes black (perhaps simply a result of having too many tabs open at once?)

3) Also, when installing this browser upgrade - the default setting for this machine is WITHOUT the main menu button titles: for File, Edit, View, Favourites etc. Quite annoying so, good to fix if possible.

So it would be useful if these could be corrected asap as K-Meleon done right has a lot of useful and interesting features for the no-nonsense web browser.

Thanks!

J - Fan / UK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Latest Upgrade: YT Comment Posting Fail / Black Screen / Menu Issues
Posted by: siria
Date: May 27, 2015 09:27PM

Hi J,
glad you like it too:-) But 74 is much outdated, despite still being the "newest" on the download page. Try KM75RC, which is 99% finished already:
http://kmeleon.sf.net/files/K-Meleon75.7z

As for the menu bar, that is just a (IMO stupid :coolsmiling smiley fashion these days, but being KM, you can just unhide it yourself. Click the gear button, then View>Toolbars>MENU bar
If you like to see more buttons and toolbars, also unhide the PrivacyBar in the same menu.

Black screens? No idea.

Youtube comments: Just another evil trick by google, they want to force you via youtube to allow all sorts of tracking cookies, as another forum member figured out just recently. In KM fresh out-of-the-box the default setting is to allow only domain cookies, not 3rd-party ones. Youtube comments only work when google-cookies are allowed too.
Anyway, allow ALL by clicking the button in the PrivacyToolbar off/on.
Alternative go into the settings (shortcut F2) to tab Privacy and switch it on there.
In the other thread it was mentioned how to work around it partly, but personally I find it much easier to keep all cookies blocked and when needed just do a quick toggle via PrivBar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2015 09:36PM by siria.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: May 27, 2015 09:51PM

siria
As for the menu bar, that is just a (IMO stupid :coolsmiling smiley fashion these days, but being KM, you can just unhide it yourself. Click the gear button, then View>Toolbars>MENU bar
If you like to see more buttons and toolbars, also unhide the PrivacyBar in the same menu.

Just adding to the above that right click also displays the view > Toolbars menu where can be selected which toolbars, including the menu, are shown.

siria
Black screens? No idea.

The famous hardware acceleration problem.

Type about:config in the URL bar and edit the preference layers.acceleration.disabled to true.

In K-meleon 74, and better said, in Gecko 24, the hardware acceleration was quite buggy and, even, looks like still it is in some hardware/windows configurations with Gecko 31 of K-meleon 75.

No much to do here but blame Mozilla.

Posted by: JJP
Date: June 01, 2015 02:33PM

Thanks folks,

I will try these options and get back to you on success.

One main issue so far:

siria
Hi J,
glad you like it too:-) But 74 is much outdated, despite still being the "newest" on the download page. Try KM75RC, which is 99% finished already:
http://kmeleon.sf.net/files/K-Meleon75.7z

This upgrade seems good bubba but, one main issue so far: The tabs are vanishing. After 1 or 2 tabs open, they all dissappear for me. :s

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: June 02, 2015 03:05PM

Steps to reproduce?

Post in the K-meleon 75 RC3 thread in Announcement subforum. Once confirmed Dorian will know if there is needed a fix.

I, myself, can't reproduce that bug :-?

Posted by: rodocop
Date: June 02, 2015 08:58PM

JJP,
what is your OS version?

I cannot confirm your bug too.

Posted by: siria
Date: June 02, 2015 09:18PM