Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Settings for auto-scaling, DPI-scaling, Zoom etc.
Posted by: siria
Date: December 19, 2015 09:16PM

A few observations and wishes regarding that automatic DPI-scaling prob:

"layout.css.devPixelsPerPx" / STRING / -1=auto (OS), 1=100%=96dpi , 0.X...= user size

My Vista screen has 12 inches dia and 1280 px width.
The tiny pixels make the whole system fonts so TINY that I had to set default font size to 145% (=139dpi) since the very beginning!
Now when I recently struggled with those blurry zoomed pictures in KM, found absolutely no way to show them 1:1, and learned about that pixel-pref in the browser, a test via injectJS showed that my "screen.width" is not the physical 1280px anymore, but only 875px!
Never had noticed, since this machine is only offline and always tested with the very basic KM readme pages in locales, but makes me shudder what a 875px-screen would do to most normal websites out there...
Finally decided for a compromise, have now set that pixel-pref via about:config to "1.25", so the pages and pictures may still be scaled to 125%, but at least the total screen width is 1024px.

My wishes now:

- please set a minimum font size out-of-box. Perhaps 10-12? (mine needs 14)
Zero is way too tiny, and doubt it makes any sense at all.
When first testing that pixels-pref, the text in about:config fell immediately so tiny that it was almost not decipherable anymore, so I was just shocked and immediately dropped further experiments with that thing and forgot about it again. Only later have remembered that it's possible to set a min-font size for the browser, which cured it again.

- please make the pref sheets (F2) respect that min-font size too. Currently they don't, so their text size is hard to decypher even with pix-pref 1.25 now. They do respect dpi-scaling, but not min-font size.

- the pref sheets should also show a possibility to customize that DPI-scaling pref, perhaps near default zoom etc.

- if possible (?) the ImageViewer (urlbar *.jpg) should IMO ignore all DPI-settings and show original, not blurry blown-up pics. Auto-scaling is okay inside webpages, but if someone opens a standalone picture they usually want to see the original image. Have seen some really angry comments in the web about this "inability" to show original images, when it first appeared in FF22.

- off topic: "viewImage" should by default open in a new tab, not a new window. As someone else recently requested too - he even thought it's a bug. Tabs should be default nowadays.

Also the menu on the zoom buttons could offer some more settings or links to pref sheets, which do exist long since. Perhaps more settings in the pref sheets near default zoom, especially for mousewheel-actions. Or is there anywhere a visible config for mousewheel-zooming? It can zoom either text or fullpage too and the direction is customizable too. But am afraid this GUI stuff turns into too much work, actually have created 1-2 macros long ago with such extra stuff and the functions do work fine incl. direction-reverse, but as so often never got the user interface quite finished... and meanwhile moved on to other macros again... Sigh, always same old prob, too little time sad smiley

(sig) New unofficial K-Meleon 76.4 (KMG76.4) available, in own subforum.
Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016
K-Meleon FAQ (link missing in forum sidebar)
Tips&Tricks - Learning new stuff every day
New to K-Meleon? What do you like? What not?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Settings for auto-scaling, DPI-scaling, Zoom etc.
Posted by: Dorian
Date: December 22, 2015 10:05PM

You know, most of those wishes should be addressed to mozilla smiling smiley
It's hard to bypass those scaling features if gecko does not provide an option for it, devPixelsPerPx is global and can't be set per tab.

But I always thought there was a minimum font size. Did it was removed?

Posted by: siria
Date: December 22, 2015 10:32PM

As far as I remember the minimum font was always zero. Unless if setup versions are different from portable ones.

Mozilla has already created the global prefs.
Now it's up to KM to create interfaces for the user grinning smiley

Actually I was meaning global settings, not tab-related, and with existing global prefs assume that can't be too complicated.
Except for the image viewer...

Posted by: Dorian
Date: December 22, 2015 11:02PM

Yeah I was talking mainly for the image viewer.

You probably noticed that I'm not much into interface :p
Moreover they require translations. It would be nice to collect those settings that could be useful and implement them all in one go.

But it's not practical to add options that may be used only by a few.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.