Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Tab-Handling Improvement Suggestions
Posted by: Voltaire
Date: January 01, 2016 12:35AM

I see several improvement possibilities for tab handling when comparing K-Meleon with several other browsers ...

1) Something that I like at Maxthon (and I see it as option for K-Meleon): when closing and restarting maxthon all the open tabs of the last session are on a single page and you can click-open those you like. Sure that's not the same as just having all tabs open at once. But I suggest some kind of combination: on the one hand the "last tabs" page as in maxthon, but there you should be able to a) select all at once, or b) select some of them to open with just another click (something like "open all selected tabs" (with the option "select all"). So when you reopen the browser, you just don't have a big bunch of tabs open if you just want one, two or just some few ... In that context to do better than maxthon: that page with all the last tabs should be normally saveable (as a simple html-file).

2) Such a kind of page should be accessible for all the sessions. Now it't the strange situation that you can save a session, but later on you don't have any information how many or what kind of tabs were open in that session; the only possiblity is to open the entire former session at once. Also here it would be nice to open the session as a single page with all the tabs as selectable links.

3) Having a big bunch of tabs open results in very bad handling. NetCaptor (sorry, more than 10 years outdated and only usable under XP) does that better: as soon as the tab line is filled, it gets scrollable as a whole. So you can scroll through all your tabs from the first (leftmost) to the last (rightmost); you just see those that are in front (that does not have thatone you have open; but as soon as you're doing something, the open tab comes into the visible part). Here with KM they all begin on the left side, get smaller and smaller (until the icon or close-cross) and then continue at the right side. If you are at tab nr. 96 and want to switch to tab 97 you always have to scroll throug a bunch of lines until that tab gets reachable. With NC you have the open tab in front and see the tabs before and behind; and you could also scroll to tab nr. 108 (and then see tabs 105 to 112 (or else) in the visible part). NetCaptor has additionally a Tab-Menu where all the open tabs are listed.

NC even offers to break the tab-scrollbar into multible-lines, but I don't use that as it is making the usable screen small.

4) With NetCaptor you can set the length of tab-text to be visible; it is usually some 35 characters. So tabs never get longer in text than that value; that's some useful words, so that you can see what is inside. You can increase that maximum length to a value you like; and they never get shorter than that. This makes the tabs nicely usable (I have made a screenshot that is showing another (harmless) bug, but I don't know how to upload without having webspace) ...

5) I really love "Capture Groups" from NetCaptor, and that's also one among many reasons to still use it. But I fear it would go too far to ask also for something like that ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2016 12:43AM by Voltaire.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tab-Handling Improvement Suggestions
Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 01, 2016 02:27AM

Voltaire

Are you aware of Groups2 extension. It might be an option that would fulfill some of your requests. See http://kmext.sourceforge.net/extensions/ and scroll down to "Groups2.7z".

Also there is my PriorTabs extension. I think it is in the Extensions forum. I could modify it to offer an option that the list is not deleted when KM is stopped.

Posted by: siria
Date: January 01, 2016 02:56AM

In F2 > Browsing > Tab Bar are a few of those options:
set multiple tab lines, max+min width of tabs

Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 04, 2016 05:28PM

Voltaire
1) Something that I like at Maxthon (and I see it as option for K-Meleon): when closing and restarting maxthon all the open tabs of the last session are on a single page and you can click-open those you like. Sure that's not the same as just having all tabs open at once. But I suggest some kind of combination: on the one hand the "last tabs" page as in maxthon, but there you should be able to a) select all at once, or b) select some of them to open with just another click (something like "open all selected tabs" (with the option "select all"). So when you reopen the browser, you just don't have a big bunch of tabs open if you just want one, two or just some few ... In that context to do better than maxthon: that page with all the last tabs should be normally saveable (as a simple html-file).

I am not sure this is all that needed, but perhaps a start. I have a macro named "LastTabs.kmm" which captures all the open tabs at the time that K-Meleon is exited. Upon the next start the list of those tabs is provided in a menu which is reachable from View, Sessions, and the tab popup.

Note that this is a macro and not an extension.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1522294/LastTabs.7z

Requirements are K-Meleon 75.1 or later and Tabs.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.