Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Toolbar, statusbar query.
Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: January 04, 2016 10:56PM

I am using K-Meleon 75.1 and this is what I am asking about in the below queries.

To start this off I need to make clear that I have a very odd cognitive/visual problem which makes it hard for me to deal with graphical objects and much easier to deal with textual ones.

This makes toolbar icons seem like gibberish to me.

My 1st query=>
Is there any way I can get the toolbar entries to be text-only, please ??

Regarding the status bar:
Unless I've seriously missed something, this does not seem to do much at all except to take up some screen space at the bottom.

My 2nd query:
Is there any way to treat it as a toolbar and add useful things to it, like maybe a couple of tool buttons or the search box ??

Alternatively I ask this:
Is it possible to make a toolbar at the bottom and customize that somehow ??

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Toolbar, statusbar query.
Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 05, 2016 12:36AM

smallhagrid
Regarding the status bar:
Unless I've seriously missed something, this does not seem to do much at all except to take up some screen space at the bottom.

You have the option to view or not to view the statusbar using the VIEW menu.

As far as I know, it is text only.

Normally one sees the URL of a link in the statusbar when the mouse hovers over the link.

Menus often display a description of what action will happen if the menu is clicked when the mouse hovers over the menu item.

Macros can present status messages there.

Date: January 05, 2016 12:42AM

Thanks for replying JamesD.
I should have been a bit more specific in how I said that I guess...

Aside of those things you've mentioned - it does very little on the whole considering that when it is displayed it takes up that space.

My confession and why I asked about it=>
In FF the statusbar can be customized, and also it is possible to add a toolbar at the bottom - so I am able to have useful things down there which I use all the time like a bookmarks menu button and the search box, etc. .

Posted by: siria
Date: January 05, 2016 12:56AM

No, don't think that's possible. To my knowledge the only toolbar that can be moved down (but still above the statusbar) is the Tabs bar, with the tab/window buttons attached to it. But no other toolbars, buttons and search boxes.

Re: Toolbar with text buttons (KM75+)
Date: January 05, 2016 01:09AM

Sorry for your eyesight! Would be one of my worst nightmares.
Would it help a thing to make the icons just bigger, or is it more some sort of color blindness?
Which skin are you using, the default skin?
Basically it's possible to show text buttons, but quite some work: by editing toolbars.cfg and adding a ! at the beginning of each button. Not quite easy when not used to that code.
And then KM still shows the icons beside the text names. Or if the icons are hidden completely (no skins.cfg), it still reserves the space for the default icon size, that wastes a lot of precious space. Hope that can be fixed some day.
And all buttons inside the same toolbar have the same size, that costs a lot of space too.
And the text size could be a bit smaller, or customizable...

But the good thing is, you can rename each button as you wish and use abbreviations! The longest text in a toolbar sets the width for all neighbors too, so squeezing the longest name can help a lot.

Suggestion: create a new folder in your skins folder, copy the skins.cfg from the default folder into it, and the toolbars.cfg from the browser/default folder, then switch to that personal skin in F2>GUI Appearance. So it will be independent from the default skin, in case syntax accidents happen...
We could assist you with editing the toolbars.cfg, when you post yours in the graphics part of the forum, because that takes attachments.

Re: statusbar...
Date: January 05, 2016 02:14AM

Thanks Siria.

Bummer:
siria
No, don't think that's possible. To my knowledge the only toolbar that can be moved down (but still above the statusbar) is the Tabs bar, with the tab/window buttons attached to it. But no other toolbars, buttons and search boxes.

But also...no biggie ultimately I guess - I'll just have to adjust to stuff at the top & most likely just close the statusbar most of the time.

It'd be great if there was something like the FF ext. called Status4Evar for this.

Date: January 05, 2016 02:23AM

Thanks Again Siria.

Truth is=>
siria
Sorry for your eyesight! Would be one of my worst nightmares.

When one has been a cripple in several different ways all one's life & is nearing the age of 60 - one learns to adjust & keep right on going.
Between the messed up visual stuff - the messed up hearing & hands that don't work real well, there's always a bit of adjusting to be done as well as LOTS of careful proof-reading when typing anything & everything.

Nope. thanks:

Would it help a thing to make the icons just bigger, or is it more some sort of color blindness?
It is visual/cognitive - meaning it is difficult to 'get' the icons, but very easy to read letters/words.

Yes, I use the default skin, I think - as I have not changed it.

Cool, thanks:

Basically it's possible to show text buttons, but quite some work: by editing toolbars.cfg and adding a ! at the beginning of each button. Not quite easy when not used to that code.
And then KM still shows the icons beside the text names. Or if the icons are hidden completely (no skins.cfg), it still reserves the space for the default icon size, that wastes a lot of precious space. Hope that can be fixed some day.
And all buttons inside the same toolbar have the same size, that costs a lot of space too.
And the text size could be a bit smaller, or customizable...

But the good thing is, you can rename each button as you wish and use abbreviations! The longest text in a toolbar sets the width for all neighbors too, so squeezing the longest name can help a lot.

Suggestion: create a new folder in your skins folder, copy the skins.cfg from the default folder into it, and the toolbars.cfg from the browser/default folder, then switch to that personal skin in F2>GUI Appearance. So it will be independent from the default skin, in case syntax accidents happen...
We could assist you with editing the toolbars.cfg, when you post yours in the graphics part of the forum, because that takes attachments.

Dunno if I am quite up to that - but I may try it as time passes - this sort of stuff tends to find me making lots of typos and messing it up pretty badly if I miss correcting them when I check it over.

I may post some screenies of what I am using as well as what I am used to over there just to see if there are any suggestions anyone may offer.

Thanks, and Best Wishes.

Date: January 05, 2016 11:15AM

Forgot to mention: As example look how the privbuttons are built in toolbars.cfg, because those are already real text buttons. The icons notwithstanding, they are just additional.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.