Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
I really tried, but just cannot do it.
Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: March 08, 2016 04:57PM

Really - truly - seriously...
I tried making V75.1 my full-time browser, but it just cannot do too many things that I've gotten spoiled to having right at hand all the time.

But what I've started doing in my daily routines even strikes me as being funny=>

=> After checking & sanitizing my emails I use Pocket K-Meleon V1.02 to check in at some sites that are important to me, including this one.
Why, you may ask ??
It is lightning fast, has the most wonderfully open, clean look, uses almost zero resources - and without it I cannot even post here.

=> Then, if I need to get into google voice I'll open Palemoon for a bit.

=> In the middle of the day when I need a light browser for opening many tabs at once - I use my all-time favourite ancient version of Firefox for a while.

=> In the evening, if I have some YT URLs I want to look at - I'll open K-Meleon V75.1 Pro for a while.

That is a lot of opening/closing different browsers, yes ?!?

BUT:
Doing things this way seems to keep resource usage nice & low whilst giving me good, fast browsing speeds and the features which I need for each thing that I do.

I have faithfully tried most versions of K-Meleon for years now, and until V75 came along I could not even use any besides V1.02 this much.

There are just too many small things that make other browsers so nice that are not present in it...like the bookmarking system - no matter what I do I cannot get it allow me to select -this- tab or a -new- tab; the right-click functions do not exist for each bookmark, and even though I got my enormous list of bookmarks imported from Firefox - the notes fields did not come through a'tall.

Searching is not nearly as convenient as it is in Firefox or Palemoon.

Paste & Go directly via right-click in the URL bar...I never knew just how much of the time I'd come to depend upon that silly little function !!
It is just not there in K-Meleon and remembering to make a few clicks on the arrow does not come easily to me.

Most personally of all for me - not being able to change ALL the toolbars to text-only while removing things I never use to un-clutter them is just a huge loss; I use exactly 2 buttons in the privacy bar; in Firefox I simply consolidate all the things I use into a single bar of very short text labels, and have a 2nd bar that I hide of seldom used functions - this results in an amazingly clean, open browser minus the little pictures for everything that cause my peculiar eyesight nothing but trouble.

So - to conclude this lengthy rant...
Am I married to any particular browser ??
Nope - as long as it is NOT chrome or IE based I am happy to try & use it.
Am I some kind of sick Firefox addict ??
Nope.
For years it was a really good browser IMO - but now it is just another chrome clone and I've no use for lobotomized browsers a'tall.

If I have to hunt down & delete garbage left behind after using ANY browser - it goes into the bitbucket ASAP; or if/when any browser jacks up resource usage (yes, I run a monitor) sky-high, it is all done quickly.

In my PC usage I most value stability & usability and NOT eye-candy;
Having data losses and needing constant re-starts just to keep things running are NOT acceptable to me in the least.

Given how much of our lives folks now spend using JUST their browsers - all the above applies very strongly in having one that can be used very much of the time.

Thanks for reading my thoughts and opinions here !!!

(Posted using Pocket K-Meleon V1.02)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2016 05:00PM by smallhagrid.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I really tried, but just cannot do it.
Posted by: rodocop
Date: March 08, 2016 06:07PM

1.02 (Pro-build, portable, russian) was the version which made me being fallen in love with KM.
Very kind and comfortable one.

I've being keeping with it for a long time but finally I was forced ro change it to 1.5. And some time later - to 1.6.

Then I switched to 74 as it arrived at least in beta stage.

So I should agree that KM 1.x is way lighter but I hardly can recall a scenario where my 75.1 Pro cannot fulfill my desires...

Date: March 08, 2016 06:11PM

But I can say that there are about 20 different browsers in use (or test) on my PCs. Besides more than 20 different KM builds ;-)

So I'm not bound to any particular bro but KM is simply the best.

More...
Date: March 08, 2016 06:14PM

Thanks for replying Rodocop.

Another example...

I had maybe 6 URLs that will not open properly in 1.02 - so I opened 75.1 Pro, and=>

It crashed...and crashed...and crashed.
Had to force it closed & re-open it, 4 times so far.

It crashed HARD just trying to open a link I found here:
https://winaes.com/

So here I am in 1.02 again, having gotten a reply notification.

Why it crashes...no idea - but also, very annoying as it does that ALOT.

Re: More...
Date: March 08, 2016 06:44PM

Something is wrong with your PC config - I tried your link in 2 instances of 75 including 75.10 Pro - no crash, no glitches, just fast and clean page load...

P.S. Are you experiencing any issues with other aspects of your OS using?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2016 06:46PM by rodocop.

Re: More...
Posted by: JamesD
Date: March 08, 2016 08:16PM

smallhagrid

I was able to load the site, https://winaes.com/, without any problem using K-Meleon 76 beta 3. Like rodocop, I think there is something going on in your machine/operating system.

Care. Pointing Fingers Always Requires Using Care.
Date: March 08, 2016 08:29PM

Thanks Again for replying Rodocop.
Thanks also to you, JamesD.
(Side note=> I am not presently using any of the releases straight from this site - only those I've mentioned previously in this thread.)

Now I may be full of baloney here, but it seems to me that IF my PC or OS was so badly messed up that it ONLY shows problems when using certain browsers - that my system would not also run so reliably for days or weeks, free of troubles in so many other functions and apps that I use all the time.

A little secret about me:
I am semi-retired with decades in general IT work - and have seen this type of scenario so many times that it ceased to amaze or amuse me anymore.
(Not any sort of coder, but I have wider OS experiences than many folks.)

Way back when, and for years and years - anytime there were problems...

The s/w guys always blamed the h/w guys - both sorts always blamed the users - and if all else failed, everyone would fall back to blaming the OS.

So, my reply here is=>
Do I claim to have some sort of perfect PC ??
Nope.

What I do have are 5 portable browsers available as my best choices, right here on my desktop - that I use the most.
2 of which are Rodocop's releases, and there are over a dozen others stored separately that I use to test things on.

That site I mentioned - which reliably brought KM 75.1 Pro to a standstill - then opened fine in other, older browsers - and even as a link within my email client.

I claim no idea of why; just saying it how it happened.

Neither that site nor what it offers is of any use to me, so I just move on, having used it as an example.

Do other applications do odd things in my PC as some browsers do ??
Nope.
Not even a little bit - and I use a great many apps.

Does this mean I'll stop using Rodocop's releases, or that I am somehow saying there is something wrong with them ??
Nope.

I've also tried using the releases from this site for some time, and of the lot I sincerely enjoy using his the most.

At the same time, as explained up^ above, none have been satisfying enough to meet all the varied types of browsing that I do in any average day.

Maybe sometime that will happen - if/when it may - I will be right here YELLING about how happy I will be to see that !!!

Re: Care. Pointing Fingers Always Requires Using Care.
Date: March 08, 2016 09:14PM

Well, colleague, nobody here had a try to attack or break your point of view, your habits, your reality grinning smiley

We just want to help anyone having troubles with K-Meleon (or other parts of web-related part of life).

The only thing I mean - there are no miracles in software world. Any glitch has its own reason.
Maybe you have some particular file of KM installation broken or something like this.

Leaving this talk aside, it's just OK to use multiple browsers and - wider - multiple software likes to get the things done.

All what touches us is clean part of KM's unperfectness part in all the world unperfectness ;-)

Re: Care. Pointing Fingers Always Requires Using Care.
Date: March 08, 2016 10:00PM

And sure Paste&Go is present in KM Pro out of the box!

And you can combine all buttons you need in 1 toolbar of text-labeled ones.
It needs some editing of configs but you have possibility. You can.

If you prefer stability over eye-candy I can suggest you are could use XP or classic theme in more recent Windows - if so I can offer you an addon to KM which will force it have no toolbar at all by default - but they aren't absent but are hidden. And they do unhide only when you need them and point mouse to the top area where toolbar should be.

What about this look? :cool:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2016 10:12PM by rodocop.

Posted by: siria
Date: March 09, 2016 03:54AM

rodocop

Yes, 1 file: toolbars.cfg
Preferably after making a copy of that file and placing that into an own, also self-created skin folder.
All unwished buttons can be hidden 1-by-1 by adding # in front of their lines.
In toolbars.cfg also brandnew, own toolbars can be created:
by inventing a name for it and type it out. E.g. for the second, temporary toolbar.

The only prob: there's currently still a bug in newer KM-versions that reserves empty space for icons, even if none are used (moved to end of toolbar), that can sum up a bit when converting ALL buttons.., sad smiley

As for the crash, it can be everything. Gecko has hundreds of settings which can be different, and it uses global plugins which can be different on each machine. And different settings on using those plugins (with/without plugin-container etc.) Hard to figure out which one. And different website content can be delivered in different countries. James is in yours too, but guess he tested with 76 only?
That said, guess dorian mentioned himself there' still some bug that may crash occasionally (in a plugin?), but can't remember sure...
And it seems in most cases lately some security or cleanup software like ccleaner was the culprit. Especially this one needs to be the current version.

rodocop
an addon to KM which will force it have no toolbar at all by default - but they aren't absent but are hidden. And they do unhide only when you need them and point mouse to the top area where toolbar should be.
Nice feature! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2016 03:59AM by siria.

Posted by: siria
Date: March 09, 2016 04:15AM

smallhagrid
the bookmarking system - no matter what I do I cannot get it allow me to select -this- tab or a -new- tab; the right-click functions do not exist for each bookmark
That here-or-new function exists long since - but only when opening the bookmarks menu from the main (text) menu bar.

smallhagrid
Paste & Go directly via right-click in the URL bar...I never knew just how much of the time I'd come to depend upon that silly little function !!
It is just not there in K-Meleon and remembering to make a few clicks on the arrow does not come easily to me.
Guess that's mainly a matter of needing all shortcuts in all browsers to work the same way. Of course makes sense when really using several browsers parallel!
But KM itself never needed "more" clicks for it, just a right-click on the button instead of urlbar. And even without needing a detour via clipboard at all if the copied origin is in a website, what it almost always is for me. Then I just highlight that text and hit the Go-button (normal left-click, and opens in a new tab depending on user settings)

PS: also works for searching: highlighting some existing text and directly hitting the search button (left or right, if menu shall show or not)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2016 04:18AM by siria.

Thanks Rodocop.
Date: March 09, 2016 05:43PM

Thanks for your very kind reply Rodocop.
I really have put alot of time & effort into making K-Meleon my default browser of choice, but it just isn't happening yet.

rodocop
Well, colleague, nobody here had a try to attack or break your point of view, your habits, your reality grinning smiley

We just want to help anyone having troubles with K-Meleon (or other parts of web-related part of life).

The only thing I mean - there are no miracles in software world. Any glitch has its own reason.
Maybe you have some particular file of KM installation broken or something like this.

Leaving this talk aside, it's just OK to use multiple browsers and - wider - multiple software likes to get the things done.

All what touches us is clean part of KM's unperfectness part in all the world unperfectness ;-)
I know what is behind my inability to make this change is my own peculiar needs for browsing speed as well as actions that have become my own 'norm'.

Maybe someday it will happen - but for now I'll just use it part-time, as it is.

Thanks.

And...Thanks Again Rodocop !!
Date: March 09, 2016 06:00PM

Indeed it is, yes:
rodocop
And sure Paste&Go is present in KM Pro out of the box!

If you prefer stability over eye-candy I can suggest you are could use XP or classic theme in more recent Windows - if so I can offer you an addon to KM which will force it have no toolbar at all by default - but they aren't absent but are hidden. And they do unhide only when you need them and point mouse to the top area where toolbar should be.

What about this look? :cool:
Very clean look - for sure !!

I've done as much as I am willing to do in customizing V75.1 Pro for now.
It is clean & open enough for me as I've done it.

The stuff that just does not work right for me and my own reluctance are what will have me waiting and testing later versions to see if they still fail the same ways.

Thanks.

Thanks Siria.
Date: March 09, 2016 06:18PM

Yes - having things work-alike DOES become important when one is using multiple browsers and switching back and forth during the course of one's days !!

The biggies are when I go to load a YT URL and get the message 'an error occurred' - and reload that same one just to have it work - and sometimes then quit 1/2 way through, and sometimes be fine;
Worse still, page loads that just stop it dead, requiring a forced close followed by a re-start with the hasty need to stop the tab that seems to be the problem.

Is any of this life vs. death stuff ?!?
Nope.

But it is enough to keep someone like myself using multiple browsers to get through my various needs until (if ever) it does enough right so as to become the full-time browser of choice for me.

The time commitment to get from what is released to what I prefer in a browser for V75.1 Pro was just enough that it is OK just as it now is for me - while still being just annoying enough to rate part-time usage.

I'm old - but I ain't daid YET - so if/when it gets past some few sticky points, as long as I'm still alive & using the internet, I'll be glad to see it.

But as of now...as I've said:
I really tried, but just cannot do it.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.