Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
how can I sort favorites like IE?
Posted by: sendhelp
Date: April 15, 2016 06:16AM

Can I transfer the order of my favorites from IE10 to KM? I had my favorites organized by topic, and now I have my computer's height and a half worth of IE favorites scattered into alphabetical order

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how can I sort favorites like IE?
Posted by: JamesD
Date: April 15, 2016 12:40PM

I am not sure that I understand. You wish to have favorites grouped by subject the way they are in IE. If the favorites are grouped by subject they should remain grouped. Did you use bookmarks in K-Meleon?

If you want to have Favorites in K-Meleon then you should change the item in Preferences. Use F2 to get the Preferences panel and go 'K-Meleon Plugins' and choose IE Favorites. Put a checkmark to enable the plugin, close Preferences, and restart KM. You will then have access to the IE Favorites.

If you are using Favorites and all your new favorites are in the main folder, then you can edit favorites and move them. If you wish to rename, and select the folder for a new favorite when adding then post back here and I can help you with that.

Posted by: sendhelp
Date: April 15, 2016 02:35PM

In IE, if you had a favorite named Google and a favorite named Youtube, whichever one you added most recently is going to be at the bottom of your favorites. No matter which one you pick, you can have a custom order of favorites (drag Youtube aove Google for example). In KM it's all in ABC order instead of sorted,so if you have videos on youtube favorited with their name first, they won't end up together, they'll be scattered everywhere

Date: April 15, 2016 05:17PM

There are two possible solutions to the sort problem. Both require using some system outside of the Favorites plugin.

I wrote a macro and WScript system a long time ago. The info about that is in the Macro Library. http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/KmmFavRenAdd

Using this system, you could rename the Favorite when you add it and you can place the favorite into a folder which is a sub-folder of Favorites.

If you don't want to use folders for grouping Google and YouTube, you could just add the string 'Google' or 'YouTube' at the start of the favorite's name. That would sort all the favorites with each of those strings grouped together.

Posted by: siria
Date: April 15, 2016 06:18PM

I know what you mean, but don't think it's possible. Only alphabetical.

In the old versions definitely not. Not quite sure about the new one, but the Favorites plugin hasn't been updated much, so rather not. Dorian could tell for sure.

By the way the Favorites in KM are by default "shared" with IE, not copied or imported. But if wished can also be copied independantly to another place.
Have made another Favorites macro too some time ago, Favinia, in the Extensions Forum.

Date: May 18, 2016 04:18PM

I have found that there is a preference for the sort order of Favorites. I have just begun to test it. The results so far are posted below. My tests were run in KM 76 RC.

Preference (type = integer)
kmeleon.plugins.favorites.sortOrder

Folders first then links A-Z	17  Default

Links first  Z-A then Folders   4

Links and Folders mixed A-Z 	2

How do I discover the actual order of the links and folders? When I view them via the operating system, do not my folder options set how they display?

Date: May 18, 2016 06:39PM

This macro will create a menu to allow the user to change the sort order of the IE Favorites in K-Meleon. I am sure there are more integers which will work in the pref. This is just a framework to show how it can work.

IEFavSort.kmm

#  K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage2)
#
# ---------- IEFavSort.kmm
# ---------- Create menu item to change the sort order of the IE Favorites
#
# Dependencies        : main.kmm, Favorites Plugin
# Reference           : http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?4,138185  
# Preferences         : kmeleon.plugins.favorites.sortOrder
# Version             : 0.6  2016/05/18
# Author              : JamesD  		
# --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_IEFavSort_Set {
$_IEFavSort_Int = $ARG;
setpref( INT, "kmeleon.plugins.favorites.sortOrder", $_IEFavSort_Int);
$_IEFavSort_Orig_Int == $_IEFavSort_Int ? 0 : &_IEFavSort_Useraction ;
}

_IEFavSort_Useraction {
alert( "A browser restart is required\nto make the change effective.", "Favorites sort order", INFO);
}

_IEFavSort_BuildMenu {
# add another option to Favorites menu
$_IEFavSort_Orig_Int = getpref(INT, "kmeleon.plugins.favorites.sortOrder");
$__pop17 = "Favorites sort order =  ".$_IEFavSort_Orig_Int ;
setmenu("F&avorites",popup,$__pop17 ,4);
setmenu($__pop17,macro,"17 - Folders ascending then Links ascending","_IEFavSort_Set(17)",0);
setmenu($__pop17,macro," 4 - Links descending then Folders","_IEFavSort_Set(4)",1);
setmenu($__pop17,macro," 2 - Links and Folders ascending","_IEFavSort_Set(2)",2);
}

## - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
$OnInit=$OnInit."_IEFavSort_BuildMenu;";
$macroModules=$macroModules."IEFavSort;";

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2016 07:02PM by JamesD.

Posted by: siria
Date: May 18, 2016 09:54PM

The Favorites>Options in KM1.6 already have a sorting interface in the normal pref sheets, in tab "Favorites Menu". Probably KM7X too, otherwise would be a bug, and assume it's the very same pref, but haven't checked.

But am afraid you have a basic misunderstanding about what the asker meant initially:

sendhelp
In IE, if you had a favorite named Google and a favorite named Youtube, whichever one you added most recently is going to be at the bottom of your favorites. No matter which one you pick, you can have a custom order of favorites (drag Youtube aove Google for example). In KM it's all in ABC order instead

The key word here is "drag". That means the entries are not "sorted" really, only dragged manually with the mouse to their custom place, one by one, to any fancy place. So there is no "order" that could be restored automatically.
This is a specialty of IE, remember it even from way back when still using IE5, a hundred years ago :cool:

Now searched a bit and found this:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/preserve-order-ie-favorites-transferring-to-another-pc

So MS stores this "manual order" in the Registry, one by one!
It can be transfered from one computer to another or to another profile by Ex/Im-port that registry block. But guess only IE will use that order.

In KM, I don't think a macro can reorganize a plugin-created menu.
The plugin itself would have to offer this option.

As a weak workaround, there may be a little chance to use "readreg" function (or how it's called) and then create a whole new, additional macro menu from it, but find that rather overkill. Especially for ALL favorites. And then this second menu still doesn't interact with the real KM Favs menu. Building such a macro would be enormous fiddling and struggling and in the end still be flawed - just not worth it. And it's not like there had been a flood of urgent demands for it over the years ;-)

Personally when I want some manual order for any lists I've always just renamed them by adding a plain number in the beginning of the name. Fast and easy and worked well enough, and great for the windows Quickstart apps or desktop icons. Most of all, that simple method is failsafe. If for whatever reason the order gets messed, a simple alphabetical sort will restore all in an instant.

If a user absolutely wants a bunch of favorites in a special order, without wasting ten minutes to add numbers before the menu entries, it would be a whole lot easier instead to just throw together those links into a little text list and create a menu from this by macro. Extremely easy and this list could be stored either in the kmm-file itself or in some ini-file or a prefs list.
But it would still have nothing to do with original IE "Favorites", so just can't fulfill that demand anyway.

Thinking about it, actually KM contains already the "Hotlinks" macro, which stores ten user links in prefs.js. And has a very handy configuration sheet in F2. Long ago I even made a little macro somewhere that creates 10 mini-buttons to save space. It used image buttons, but pure text buttons are possible too.

But - all this just has nothing to do with the original question to restore the IE faves order in KM-Favorites.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: May 18, 2016 11:21PM

Yes, siria: KM 7x also has these controls in Preferences

Date: May 19, 2016 01:36AM

I must be getting too old. I have used Favorites for years and never noticed that control. All I ever do is check IE Favorites and uncheck Netscape Bookmarks.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.