Unexpected situation on installing the Event Logging module: running the install queries from file ./mods/event_logging/db/mysql/2.php failed. The error was ALTER command denied to user 'k14285rw'@'172.30.30.71' for table `k14285_kmeleon`.`phorum_event_logging` Two long-awaited improvements!
Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing.  
Two long-awaited improvements!
Posted by: Zvonko
Date: August 16, 2016 02:37PM

Editing in URL field: (Edited)
If you try to edit an URL in the address field by deleting the end part of the URL (from the cursor position to the end) by Ctrl-End Ctrl-Del, the whole URL disappears! This is very frustrating. And an unusual and 'non-conform' behavior (see below *).

Loading from slow sites:
If you click an URL link to a site which has a performance problem at the moment (i.e. it opens very slowly), you don't see at all that you really clicked something and should wait: Neither 'Ready' in the left part of the status bar is changed to something indicating a loading process, nor the clicked URL appears in the URL field; only the progress bar in the right part of the status bar changes to a slightly darker gray.

-----------

*)
'Conform' behavior:
- Ctrl+Del deletes in Word to the end of the word.
- The same in LO/OO Writer.
- As in Windows Editor, also in most other programs I know it deletes to the end of the word or of the line.
- Same behavior in the Google search field.
- Moreover, this seems to be a standard for Windows too, even in specific situations which can be compared with the KM address field: in the editing field when renaming a file in Windows Explorer, or in the address field of the Windows Explorer.
K-Meleon is the first case for me where this doesn't work.
(At least Ctrl+Del should not delete the whole URL!!!)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2016 04:56AM by Zvonko.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Two long-awaited improvements!
Posted by: siria
Date: August 16, 2016 07:41PM

Personally see no major prob there, but don't hit me, am just a little user like you not a dev :cool:

Anyway, if I want to delete the rest of a URL, the typical windows behaviour I'm familiar with since decades is hitting Shift+End, that highlights it, and then just the backspace button to clear it. Never had a prob with that.
In theory we could define a macro that uses Ctrl+End, just no idea how to simulate the action for it...

If for any reason the URL was deleted completely, it can be restored by right-clicking the Go-button and click on "Reset URL bar".

Ah yes, if it helps anything we could define that reset function as shortcut on Ctrl+End :runduck:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2016 07:44PM by siria.

Posted by: siria
Date: August 16, 2016 07:52PM

Okay, just the RESET function, and have only tested in KM1.6, but if you wanna give it a try:
open the shortcuts file accels.cfg in notepad, add this at end and restart:
CTRL VK_END=macros(Go_Reset)
or
CTRL VK_DELETE=macros(Go_Reset)
whichever you really need. Your post above mentions both.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2016 07:59PM by siria.

Date: August 16, 2016 08:24PM

Sorry, Siria, Ctrl-End was a mistake, I mean Ctrl-Del. Edited.

However, my intention was not to discuss these two suggestions, or workarounds to achieve the behavior I would like to have. My suggestions are of relevance only for people who tend to use something like 'conform' editing methods, or who experienced how troublesome can be if they frequently open slow sites in K-Meleon. But I hope that this is understandable for you, although both points are not relevant to you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2016 04:17AM by Zvonko.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 18, 2016 03:04PM

About the second improvement.

Zvonko
Loading from slow sites:
If you click an URL link to a site which has a performance problem at the moment (i.e. it opens very slowly), you don't see at all that you really clicked something and should wait: Neither 'Ready' in the left part of the status bar is changed to something indicating a loading process, nor the clicked URL appears in the URL field; only the progress bar in the right part of the status bar changes to a slightly darker gray.

The throbber is supposed to indicate that the machine/browser is working on resolving and displaying the requested resource. I make it a point to include the throbber in VIEW > TOOLBARS.

Date: August 18, 2016 03:32PM

JamesD
The throbber is supposed to indicate that the machine/browser is working on resolving and displaying the requested resource. I make it a point to include the throbber in VIEW > TOOLBARS.

Thank you, JamesD, I didn't know that. But, as already said, this is a kind of workaround too: The throbber is very small, and there are still the two main points which, in my view, are convincing as argument for an improvement: The information indicating that a loading process has been started should be displayed in the status bar, i.e. 'Ready' is not a meaningful information for the user at that time and should be replaced by something else ('Initializing loading ...'). An the url field should show the new url.

(From my location at least the following url is very slow at the moment:
https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20763
Maybe you can see here how useful this improvement could be.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2016 03:33PM by Zvonko.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.
K-Meleon

Fatal error: Uncaught TypeError: mysqli_escape_string(): Argument #1 ($mysql) must be of type mysqli, null given in /home/project-web/kmeleon/htdocs/erfurt-1.02b/ewiki.php:3888 Stack trace: #0 /home/project-web/kmeleon/htdocs/erfurt-1.02b/ewiki.php(3888): mysqli_escape_string(NULL, 'WebsiteMenu') #1 /home/project-web/kmeleon/htdocs/erfurt-1.02b/ewiki.php(3587): ewiki_database_mysql::GET('WebsiteMenu', 0) #2 /home/project-web/kmeleon/htdocs/erfurt-1.02b/ewiki.php(3850): ewiki_db::GET('WebsiteMenu', NULL) #3 /home/project-web/kmeleon/include/menu.inc.php(24): ewiki_database('GET', Array) #4 /tmp/tpl-kmeleon3-footer-e27cfd0d7ba81d2da26491d6f6114c48.php-stage2(23): include('/home/project-w...') #5 /tmp/tpl-kmeleon3-footer-e27cfd0d7ba81d2da26491d6f6114c48.php(7): include('/tmp/tpl-kmeleo...') #6 /home/project-web/kmeleon/htdocs/phorum-core-php78-compat/include/api/output.php(359): include('/tmp/tpl-kmeleo...') #7 /home/project-web/kmeleon/htdocs/phorum-core-php78-compat/read.php(879): phorum_api_output(Array) #8 {main} thrown in /home/project-web/kmeleon/htdocs/erfurt-1.02b/ewiki.php on line 3888