Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Smoother autoscrolling?
Posted by: Carl-Robert
Date: January 10, 2017 08:36AM

Hey!

So, back using K-Meleon yet again, but I am starting to get headache from the autoscrolling (press mouse3 and move mouse around). Seems it doesn't do any smoothing, the movement is very jerky and have hard time reading any text when doing autoscrolling at slow/normal speed. Firefox, Pale Moon, IE, Chrome all do have very smoother experience which leaves me without headaches.

For me this is especially important, since I use autoscrolling as a main way of scrolling, as do probably everyone with trackball.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Smoother autoscrolling?
Posted by: siria
Date: January 10, 2017 12:14PM

That's almost certainly an internal engine feature, that means should work the same in FF and KM (in theory). Just different settings.

But not sure which of the hundreds of hidden prefs may be responsible here, but you could open "about:config" in FF and filter for everything with "scroll", then do the same in KM and compare. Suspicious different settings can be changed directly by double-click or right-click. Then may need a restart or not, just try.

If you change settings in "about:config", those that are NOT default are automatically stored in file "prefs.js" in profile folder (Edit>Configuration>Profile Directory). An occasional backup of that file, or better the whole folder, is always a good idea ;-)

Date: January 10, 2017 08:24PM

Done that. Identical settings in FF, Pale Moon and K-Meleon in about:config about anything scrolling related. The only autoscroll related tweak there is just a toggle on/off anyways, but made sure to match everything.

K-Meleon is the only one with jerky movement and I remember this being the case "always" when trying new versions of this, like the content not getting refreshed at 60fps at autoscrolling, but some bigger frame intervals which shows as jerkiness. It is really easy to spot when trying to read and scroll relatively slowly at the same time, the experience is not smooth at all.

Posted by: gordon451
Date: January 11, 2017 01:39PM

siria
That's almost certainly an internal engine feature, that means should work the same in FF and KM (in theory). Just different settings.

To some extent. Some apps don't have auto-scroll, NotePad is, erm, "noteable" for not having it smiling smiley and nor does Ted Notepad. But also Lotus software generally. Autoscroll is built in to the OS, and programs need to enable it. To a large extent the HID drivers are where the main control happens, and very few of those show any way of adjusting it. Ah yes, Human Interface Device.

It's also worth checking your monitor display settings. Tweaking those too far can take you away from the designed range of settings, which could look good, but may not actually be good. So you need to look at your monitor and your graphics controller. Without further data, I'm leaning to the display settings as a good place to start.

But also consider the HID itself. How old is it? Is it a reputable brand, or some device specified down to a cost? Did the problems always happen, or start a bit later? And do these problems happen on other software?

FWIW, I'm running KM76RC1, which autoscrolls beautifully using a PS/2 optical mouse.

Date: January 11, 2017 06:07PM

This is the only software it has happened to me. Tried with couple mouses I had lying around (some A4Tech gaming mouse, old Microsoft wireless model and my main trackball Logitech Trackman Marble), all of them behave exactly the same aka not smooth at all in K-Meleon, but smooth on FF, PM, Chrome etc.
I have two LCDs 1920x1200@60hz which both have this problem (Viewsonic and Samsung), so I honestly doubt it can even be a monitor as this is the one and only software I have had such problems with.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.