Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Background Image grayed out..?
Posted by: Kaj TÃ¥gernes
Date: October 02, 2014 10:27AM

With Bing as my startpage, each day I get some real nice pictures as background. Up until now, I've been able to rightclick and choose 'Page Properties | Background Image' to get the clean picture, but with this new version that's no longer possible. The option, Background Image, is grayed out (cannot choose). Is that an error, or is it due to censorship..? (I can still do it with Firefox..!)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Background Image grayed out..?
Posted by: siria
Date: October 02, 2014 11:16AM

I can only test it with KM1.6 on my online machine, but here it definitely is just a matter of UserAgents again, as so often. Just the server delivering different code to different browser, decided by their sent ID!

Funnily in KM1.6 it does work fine with a clean and (in KM1.6) fake "KM74" name!
As well as with a fake mobile browser string, or even fake IE7.
But not with some older Firefox or KM names.

Which UA does your browser sent?
You can test for example on mybrowserinfo.com, also has some more interesting info.
Or simply use the UA-button in the Privacy Toolbar.

Currently KM74 has no native UA-switcher anymore, but the old macro still works if copied over, together with a UA-list copied into KM/browser/defaults/preferences. There are even some automatic switcher macros available now.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: October 02, 2014 02:06PM

Hi,

Kaj, when I asked for fix the copy image content, Dorian told that had problems with Background Image. Probably it is related with that too, that now K-meleon can't get image location with the latest GRE engine used.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?8,127809,128503#msg-128501

I told him I didn't care as I used a macro. The master of macros, Siria, could adapt if she whises to make it a standard macro winking smiley
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?8,127809,128503#msg-128503
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?2,123209,123209#msg-123209

Posted by: Yogi
Date: October 04, 2014 09:58AM

@Kaj TÃ¥gernes

I have now no site with background image at hand except my startpage which I use in K-Meleon.

As you can see "Background Image" is not greyed out and works for me.
You could provide a link where it works with other browsers but doesn't work with K-Meleon for you.

Date: October 04, 2014 10:26AM

Yogi, he said on Bing. That's right on the start page, but background image is only delivered if JS is enabled.

Date: October 04, 2014 11:12AM

I see. It's greyed out.
It must be related to what JohnHell has posted above. K-Meleon can't locate the background images. There are more than one on that site.

No problems with FirefoxESR 24.8.1.

Date: October 04, 2014 11:19AM

Yogi, it's the same in KM1.6, but only if FF is in the UA string.
If you remove FF in KM74 default string, does it work then? Because by default it is always appended, by the pref in about:config "compatMode.Firefox". You have to check if that's off when testing.

Date: October 04, 2014 11:49AM

siria

If you remove FF in KM74 default string, does it work then?

YESSSS!!! It works with the compatMode set to false. smiling smiley

Not all background images are localized (as in FF_ESR 24.8.1) but at least the main one. The one Kaj is after.

@Kaj

Siria solved your problem smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2014 11:50AM by Yogi.

Date: October 04, 2014 03:59PM

JohnHell
I told him I didn't care as I used a macro. The master of macros, Siria, could adapt if she whises to make it a standard macro winking smiley
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?2,123209

LOL!! The clueless NONmaster of macros struggled rather hard and kept wishing you had posted the complete thing yourself, far bigger master of scripts! grinning smiley
But finally it's done, if anyone wants to try it, have posted it in JohnHells original thread, link in the quote above.

Date: October 04, 2014 05:18PM

Mmmm, I declare to myself as guilt of not digging too much the first time but... why a menu entry becomes greyed out in K-meleon?

I mean, I said a couple of weeks ago that I use my own custom context menu and in my context menu the option I have, with the same ID to view the background image, isn't greyed out. In fact, works...

The menu entry is attached to (my own, again) DocumentImagePopup menu definition, as well as it is in the standard menu declaration.

Any possible collision with a macro building a menu...?

:-?

EDIT: I forgot to say that I tried almost every possible thing to detach from other submenus and so on and still greyed out :-?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2014 05:21PM by JohnHell.

Date: October 04, 2014 05:49PM

No mystery John. Now dig also a bit deeper into the second post grinning smiley
If it's gray or not depends just from the UA, and that depends on what the server delivers, not from menu structure.
In macrolanguage, and certainly also in this case here, a menu command is gray if its definition explicitely says to appear gray, IF condition XY then gray. If by "same ID" you mean you're also just using the ID_VIEW_IMAGE from menus.cfg, then it just means KM can't detect an underlying $ImageURL.

Date: October 04, 2014 05:55PM

Or maybe not, you are right.

I forgot the deaulted firefox compat mode confused smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2014 05:57PM by JohnHell.

Date: October 04, 2014 05:58PM

Yep. It keeps amazing me that *without* FF we get besser results more and more often. Also have read in some FF discussion that they intentionally get worse code by some servers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2014 06:01PM by siria.

Date: October 04, 2014 05:59PM

siria
New Profile -> compatMode.FF? In KM74 it's by default enabled...

Yep, you are correct. Facepalm for me tongue sticking out smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.