Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Hybrid status bar
Posted by: user69
Date: March 15, 2017 07:43PM

Hi, I would like KM to have an option for a hybrid status bar like Chrome, Firefox, and IE (when IE's standard status bar is off). How it works is there is nothing at the bottom of the browser, but when you're hovering over a link, the browser creates a left-aligned bar containing its URL. In KM, you either have a very large status bar at the bottom, or you have nothing. Here are some screenshots from the latest Chrome, Firefox 52 ESR, and IE (status bar off) 11 vs KM 75.1

Chrome:

Firefox 52 ESR:

IE11:

KM75.1:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hybrid status bar
Posted by: George_Hall
Date: March 28, 2017 04:49AM

I do not call that an improvement because never liked that chrome did not have a status bar at he bottom of the page.

For Chrome to a have an status bar you have to add an extension and even with
that the status, bar is no where as good as the one in K-Meleon.

With Firefox one off the most popular extensions is called Status-4-Evar which add a permanent status bar to the bottom of the page.

If Chrome's idea of no status bar which Firefox apparently copied was a good one no one whould have created the extension Status-4-Evar

Posted by: siria
Date: March 28, 2017 05:29AM

Guess it all depends on how high your screen is. Personally I do prefer a permanent bar too, but with lots of todays notebook screens being rather flat "vision slits", there's not much choice. So a triple toggle would be perfect smiling smiley

Perhaps there are FF addon solutions for older version to add a hybrid bar, no idea.
For KM itself there's an older workaround-macro somewhere in the extensions forum part... But it can only show link targets, nothing else. And they don't appear in the corner, but right at the link when the mouse is hovering there, because the targets are added as fake link TITLES or such (only from memory)

Posted by: Yogi
Date: March 28, 2017 09:17AM

George_Hall
I do not call that an improvement because never liked that chrome did not have a status bar at he bottom of the page.

Can't tell anything about Chrome which I never tested and probably never will so.
However it probably depends much on how we are used to use the browser.
At the time I discovered K-Meleon, Opera Presto was my main browser (I'm still using it for certain tasks).
Opera Presto has a status bar which I never had use for. So it is disabled (waste of space no matter how big your screen is).
Aside the status bar it also has a progress bar which pops up only if needed (if set so) and gives you useful information during site load (number of elements, speed, loading time, connections). As for hovering over a link the respective address will pop up in a small rectangle.
It is something native I have missed in any other browser (K-Meleon and Firefox included).
I have the status bar of K-Meleon inabled only for hovering links and to see the connection status. No big deal for me (I wouldn't install an extra extension therefore) but those tasks could be shown as a pop-up as well. I can't see any disadvantages compared to Firefox.

George_Hall
With Firefox one off the most popular extensions is called Status-4-Evar which add a permanent status bar to the bottom of the page.

I never tried Status-4-Evar but looking at the pics it seems a quite useless addition to me.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.