Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Bookmarks and session: migrating from SeaMonkey
Posted by: Wikiwide
Date: January 16, 2018 06:34AM

I want to migrate from SeaMonkey to some other browser. K-Meleon fits well because: 1) open-source; 2) Gecko; 3) native Windows API.

However, I find it difficult to migrate bookmarks and session from previous browser. While having Bookmarks, IE's Favourites, and Opera's Hotlink side-by-side inside K-Meleon is inspiring, it doesn't help with importing session or bookmarks from SeaMonkey. What I did was: bookmark all tabs in SeaMonkey, export bookmarks from SeaMonkey into Internet Explorer, and then import Favourites into K-Meleon.

Then, I found that I cannot do "Open all in tabs" with a Bookmarks folder in K-Meleon. Either I am not seeing something (which is entirely possible, the GUI is quite different), or this feature needs to be added, maybe as a Macro. Because opening hundred or so of tabs one-by-one manually is... tiring. I would have had more tabs in session, but with SeaMonkey crashing all the time, I had repeatedly had trouble restoring the session.

I haven't gone through installation of K-Meleon Extensions Manager 8. It does look too troublesome at a first glance - but then, K-Meleon is lightweight, and probably will not crash as often (at least daily) as SeaMonkey does (though, I do use nightly builds of SeaMonkey... which cannot even update themselves) or freeze as much as Pale Moon does (at least, I am not running nightly in this one; but it still uses lots of RAM).

I have to say, K-Meleon seems to be pleasantly modular. And, mouse gestures are interesting, despite steep learning curve.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Wikiwide

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bookmarks and session: migrating from SeaMonkey
Date: January 16, 2018 06:56AM

Also, I wonder if there are ways to import/export/syncronise browsers' databases with logins and passwords.

Thank you.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: January 16, 2018 11:05AM

- Export your bookmarks to HTML.
You can then place that HTML-file into the subfolder of K-Meleon's Profiles folder. (It will replace the actual HTML-file for bookmarks.)

- Edit your bookmarks and assign a nickname for the bookmarks folder.
If you type that nickname into the address bar and hit Enter, all bookmarks of that folder will be opened.
(Keep in mind that if you open too many tabs and you are going out of RAM, any browser will freeze or crash.)

- There is no native implementation for sync service in K-Meleon.
(I'd never store out of covenience, sensitive data on a third party server.)

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 16, 2018 11:08AM

I assume current SeaMonkey and current test build from my sigature.

Export SeaMonkey bookmarks as bookmarks / html. Copy that file to the used K-Meleon profile.

The Netscape bookmarks format is supported by K-Meleon.

One of the password export extensions. If it also works for K-Meleon.
https://www.google.de/search?client=kmeleon&num=100&q=seamonkey%20passwort%20exporter

Many Firefox and SeaMoney extensions work for K-Meleon.

Go to about:addons and install like in SeaMonkey. If they work.

Some do. Go to our extensions Forum for ideas.

This program used to work: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/passwordfox.html

Most likely You can still just copy the SeaMonkey profile content to K-Meleon used profile and the file formats are still compatible. Browsing history should be accessible. Session are done by K-Meleon sessions plugin. No luck there.

Passwords may autoconvert. They used to during K-Meleon 74 times and before.

But I have not tried the later option for a couple of years. So I do not know for sure.

That last used to be the easiest solution.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2018 12:06PM by guenter.

Date: January 17, 2018 04:31AM

>> Export your bookmarks to HTML. << So I did, export to html. I just didn't see what to do with the file, where to put it.
>> - Edit your bookmarks and assign a nickname for the bookmarks folder. If you type that nickname into the address bar and hit Enter, all bookmarks of that folder will be opened. << Thank you, Yogi. Haven't known that. Will help tremendously, especially once I organise my bookmarks...
>> - There is no native implementation for sync service in K-Meleon. (I'd never store out of covenience, sensitive data on a third party server.) << Agree about third-party server, but I am speaking about syncing logins and passwords between browsers, sometimes on the same computer. Let me see on workplace computer... I have IE (from Windows, courtesy of Microsoft), Firefox and Google Chrome (pre-installed here because Windows Enterprise), SeaMonkey (installed by myself because Firefox's changes are exhausting to keep up with), Netsurf (because lightweight and interesting, thumbnail history), Pale Moon (because SeaMonkey crashes), K-Meleon (because native Windows API, lightweight and interesting, mouse gestures). Seven browsers on one computer (granted, I don't use IE - not bookmarks, not session, not passwords - so don't need to think about syncing with it) [and I haven't yet installed Opera, Chromium, or Safari; it could have been worse].
Of course, syncing between different computers would be relevant too, but only if it could be done without reliance on a third-party server.
>> Many Firefox and SeaMoney extensions work for K-Meleon. << Huh... That could be fun, testing them, using them.
>> Most likely You can still just copy the SeaMonkey profile content to K-Meleon used profile and the file formats are still compatible. Browsing history should be accessible. Session are done by K-Meleon sessions plugin. No luck there. Passwords may autoconvert. They used to during K-Meleon 74 times and before. << Nice. Just not used to the approach yet.

I was wondering, does K-Meleon have a sidebar? For Bookmarks, History, search results?

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Wikiwide

Date: January 17, 2018 04:53AM

OpenSplit macro was installed successfully, may replace (to an extent, at least) the necessity for sidebar, due to pseudo-sidebar mode.

While I am used to keeping programs open indefinitely, restarting K-Meleon was surprisingly hassle-free. At the same time, I am still going to put it under strain of having many tabs open at the same time, for many days - while it may be excessive, I do hope that K-Meleon is more lightweight than Firefox or SeaMonkey, and can handle it better.

As it is, good interface for handling tabs and bookmarks may stop me from opening too many tabs at the same time - part of the problem is, when too many tabs are open, I might find it difficult to avoid opening the same page two or three times in different tabs, just because it's difficult to find where it was opened before.

Thank you. Best wishes,
Wikiwide

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 17, 2018 07:48AM

Wikiwide
OpenSplit macro was installed successfully, may replace (to an extent, at least) the necessity for sidebar, due to pseudo-sidebar mode.

While I am used to keeping programs open indefinitely, restarting K-Meleon was surprisingly hassle-free. At the same time, I am still going to put it under strain of having many tabs open at the same time, for many days - while it may be excessive, I do hope that K-Meleon is more lightweight than Firefox or SeaMonkey, and can handle it better.

As it is, good interface for handling tabs and bookmarks may stop me from opening too many tabs at the same time - part of the problem is, when too many tabs are open, I might find it difficult to avoid opening the same page two or three times in different tabs, just because it's difficult to find where it was opened before.

Thank you. Best wishes,
Wikiwide

I do not keep open - I use open last session. Or save sessions in between. Mozilla GRE gobbles up system resources by design.

I read current page and open up all new in background.

Opera and K-Meleon used to fire up fastest. And IE due to its preloading. Handy.

Bookmarks.bar exists and can be activated. That helps to sort things but costs space.

Flexible interface requires XUL - that is what slows Firefox and SeaMonkey currently. They are working on replacing XUL with xhtml. Hope that is leaner.

K-Meleon by design has another interface construction. You cannot have both.

Change Your ways or adopt the browser that serves Your old habits.

Best wishes to AU from DE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2018 07:50AM by guenter.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 19, 2018 02:39AM

Wikiwide
I might find it difficult to avoid opening the same page two or three times in different tabs, just because it's difficult to find where it was opened before.

Maybe this would help. . .
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?4,133712,133716#msg-133716

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.