Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Memory and CPU usage/eats up more than other browser
Posted by: execmanoj
Date: January 06, 2012 11:54PM

This browser seem to be faster than anyother browser I have used, and interface is pretty simple, but one improvement needs to be done, browser eats up lots of memory and cpu, that can be minimized, after that it has potential to beat all browser like firefox, chrome, safari, opera etc.. I am using it for 12 hours now.
Thanks for the great jo guys.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Memory and CPU usage/eats up more than other browser
Posted by: gordon451
Date: February 17, 2012 01:04PM

Hi execmanoj -

Just opened a forum in K-M (K-M forums of course!), Windows SysInternals in Opera 11.5, and Whirlpool Forums in Sleipnir 2.9.7 using IE6 SP1.

Memory usage 43,9122; 42,384; 36,328. And yes, K-M is the fastest grinning smiley

FWIW, I only have 1GB RAM. I do have a fixed 3GB swap file but.

Gordon.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: February 17, 2012 01:44PM

execmanoj
This browser seem to be faster than anyother browser I have used, and interface is pretty simple, but one improvement needs to be done, browser eats up lots of memory and cpu, that can be minimized, after that it has potential to beat all browser like firefox, chrome, safari, opera etc.. I am using it for 12 hours now.
Thanks for the great jo guys.

You are right as many as half.

K-Meleon is very light browser in terms of memory consuming. I have results of many observations, unintentional as well as planned - KM eats significantly LESS memory than any other contender. The more tabs you open - the better it can be seen.

Try to open any 10 webpages in KM, then the same set in FF, Chrome, Opera, IE...

You'll see the real difference.

But the second point is much closer to the truth: when loading heavily scripted sites, KM can 'freeze' eating about 100% CPU. Try to limit script rendering by using NoScript or Policies Manager extension...

Posted by: meme
Date: February 18, 2012 03:29AM

No doubt at all about K-Meleons memory performance. It is the only browser which can be open with multiple tabs for days and sit around 150MB private bytes. I love the latest firefox 10 for speed and slickness, but it still leaks around 50MB an hour.

Posted by: Michael
Date: April 07, 2012 10:21AM

It is precisely the fact that K-Meleon is so light on resources that it has become my favourite browser. It's even lighter still if you block flash by default (Flash is the greatest culprit for burning browser resources there is, it's a menace).

I run several websites and have multiple online interests. This means I like to have LOTS of tabs open. Not to mention, I have an old low spec PC. YET, I currently have one KM browser window open with 31 tabs open, a second KM window open with 38 tabs open, a third KM window with 28 tabs open and two other KM windows open each running one tab. That's a total of 5 KM windows and 99 tabs. And many of these windows and tabs have been open for over two days. Yet, with all that,KM is using only 222,944 K of RAM (although, it's usually much less) and between 4 and 41% (up and down between those numbers) of CPU. Moreover, KM remains stable and has lost NONE of its speed. And as I said, this is a low spec machine. No other browser can do that, certainly not on my box! For performance and sheer capacity, I LOVE this browser smiling smiley And it's got good security too (not to mention, Spywareblaster has support for KM). It's not just great for lower spec machines, it's also good for higher end machines where you want to run lots of other resource intensive software at the same time.

And one final thing, I like the lack of running process clutter too. It has just one, whereas IE for example, has a process for every tab you have open. Yet, even with only a single process for tens of tabs and multiple windows, KM will still recover all those tabe for you in the event of a rare crash. And whilst on the subject, during my six months regularly using KM, never once have I needed to kill it via the Task Manager as I've often had to with other browsers.

If you want to lower resources even further, block Flash! Even if you want to watch flash videos or play flash games you still can. You simply don't have all that other flash you DON'T want to be running, as you're not using it. Flash will use up browser resources even if you're not playing the video and it's not in the tab you have open. It's the # 1 cause of browsers maxing out and if you block it, you'll really notice the difference in the resources your browser is using, no matter which browser it is. A Hosts file is also a good idea,as all those adverts can use a lot of resources, not to mention be a security risk (also block third party cookies and turn off Iframes). I've never tried pushing KM to its limits, but it would probably be able to run 200 tabs or more, for extended sessions, on my rubbish machine. I couldn't even contemplate that with any other browser.

Posted by: slenka
Date: May 01, 2012 10:59PM

The RAM usage is low, but when I have internet radio like songza.com on K-Meleon takes up 40-70% of CPU,
In firefox only 12-20% of CPU is used (including plugin manager process)

This is when both browsers are minimized by the way.

Posted by: dugbugoffice
Date: August 31, 2014 07:23PM

I have a KMFILES a kit for K-Meleon old and the new.

I have a setting to turn off the memory.
It makes should ease up the memory depending how big of
a page you are on. So you could also turn off the page colors
to ease it up.

( ( The settings "Cache3-MemOff.kmm" are: ) )
setpref(INT,"browser.cache.memory.capacity",0);
setpref(BOOL,"browser.cache.memory.enable",false);

Download at:
http://www.angelfire.com/bug/dugbuglas2/Download.html

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 31, 2014 08:42PM

slenka
The RAM usage is low, but when I have internet radio like songza.com on K-Meleon takes up 40-70% of CPU,
In firefox only 12-20% of CPU is used (including plugin manager process)

This is when both browsers are minimized by the way.

K-Meleon show browser including plugin.

Firefox has additionally runing plugins container.

If I understand Dorian's comments right.

Maybe look what the total CPU usage of all processes is during the time.

p.s. Where can You play musik at songza.com? URL of song You mention?

Posted by: siria
Date: September 01, 2014 12:06AM

Ah guys, why revive such a 3 year old thread about old versions when we now finally have a brandnew modern browser :-/

Posted by: Zero3K
Date: September 01, 2014 01:02AM

Because there's still some CPU and maybe RAM usage issues.

Posted by: Buby
Date: April 09, 2015 05:12AM

I used k-meleon in http://openradiodirectory.com and memory footprint was very low.Great browser!

Posted by: Joe Schmoe
Date: April 17, 2016 08:00AM

"This browser seem to be faster than anyother browser I have used"

WHICH browser?

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 17, 2016 09:24AM

Joe Schmoe
"This browser seem to be faster than anyother browser I have used"