Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Userscripts Extension?
Posted by: just
Date: March 29, 2019 06:18PM

I can't seem to find a feature or extension to do what these Javascript/userscript extensions can do for other browsers,

Greasemonkey
Tampermonkey
Violentmonkey
Unified Script Injector

I think I've read all the previous threads about this, but I may have missed something. None of their information seems pertinent with the latest version (K-Meleon 76.1 - Goanna 3.4.4 (Build 20190323)) or their download links no longer work. I'd love being able to drag and drop a .js file from other people's userscripts into a folder or write up my own; etc.

Am I asking for something that already exists and I simply can't find it? Thanks for your time and a super fast browser!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Userscripts Extension?
Posted by: siria
Date: March 29, 2019 11:26PM

Yeah it's sad sad smiley

Am sure at least one of those addons still works, but there are hardly any people around here anymore with enough skills and interest to figure it out, if they don't need it themselves.
Some of us are helping ourselves with macros, which are especially great for tiny script snippets, but that method is not quite the same, and requires a bit tinkering. For general public and the thousands of ready made scripts out there, with detailed URL-instructions, an xpi-addon would be easier and more familiar.

But if you're determined, and have already studied the old threads, perhaps you can figure it out? ;-)

As for the missing downloads, I suppose you mean the "legacy" xul addons, the xpi files. Which Mozilla has all deleted last year, without any need, just another attempt to make life as hard as possible for users of old browsers and systems sad smiley
The waybackmachine seems to have archived the descriptions, but not the files itself? Otherwise I'm only aware of 2 ways to download them now:

1) Someone from the Waterfox team has archived everything, and made the catalogue available in a new Firefox addon. The catch is, it needs at least Firefox45 to run, too modern for KM-gecko. And no idea if perhaps the lastest KM-Goanna can run it anyway...?
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/11/10/firefox-classic-add-ons-archive/
https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/releases

2) And this site has the downloads incl. old versions too, the only prob is the description doesn't reveal which addon version is for which engine version:
http://legacycollector.org/firefox-addons/index.html
There are also no screenshots, no user comments anymore, etc.

Versions:
KM74 needs addons for Firefox24,
KM75.x for Firefox 31,
KM76-gecko for Firefox 38,
KM76-goanna for 38 or higher, test with trial&error

In KM installation of xpi-addons works best by saving them on disk, then opening the page "about:addons" and from there click the Gear-button and pick the local xpi. The browser will ask if you're sure etc, then needs restart:
Open current profile folder (Edit > Configuration > Profile Folder), close browser, wait a moment, delete the StartupCache folder, start KM again.

In some KM-versions those prefs may also be necessary (check or create in about:config):
xpinstall.enabled = true
kmeleon.install_firefox_extension = true
(and in KM74 (?) the useragent compat mode seems to influence too)

If those prefs are set, and after a browser restart the xpi shows up as incompatible on "about:addons", it often helps to tweak the allowed browsers and versions inside the xpi, in file "install.rdf", faking version numbers etc.

<em:targetApplication> <!-- K-Meleon -->
<Description>
<em:id>{944df56f-c0ec-4d7b-94b6-f625c8cc96ea}</em:id>
<em:minVersion>1.0</em:minVersion>
<em:maxVersion>99.*</em:maxVersion>
</Description>
</em:targetApplication>

<em:targetApplication> <!-- Firefox -->
<Description>
<em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>
<em:minVersion>1.0</em:minVersion>
<em:maxVersion>99.0</em:maxVersion>
</Description>
</em:targetApplication>

If an addon shows up as installed successfully, it doesn't mean much yet if we've faked versions :cool:
That means just trying and fiddling with options. Mostly there's a button on "about:addons" for it, which opens a xul window. If the new addon seems to work fine so far, a LINK to such static xul pages can then be added by macros, to a KM-menu or button or a shortcut, for easier access, or simply store it as bookmark. Macros can also be used to change special addon prefs, but that's about the possibilities already. More complicated addon GUI stuff is probably hard or impossible.

( _howto_ install addons, find old xul-addons)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2019 11:54PM by siria.

Date: March 29, 2019 11:35PM

Almost forgot:
KM-Goanna can also use Palemoon addons!
(KM74-goanna = Palemoon 26 / KM76-goanna = Palemoon 27)
In fact the goanna-engine needs those in some cases, which include greasemonkey:

https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/tools-and-utilities/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2019 12:03AM by siria.

Date: March 30, 2019 03:02PM

Thanks for the extensive reply, siria!

I figured it'd be something like that. Yes, Mozilla changed their entire system some time ago and changed all the URLs to a new format. So, either the URLs listed are incorrect or that particular content was completely removed. Some of that applies to non-Mozilla websites. I didn't save any of the thread links and it took some times using a crawler to find them in the first place.

The more pressing problem is that with the latest weeklies, add-ons and extensions fro older versions won't work without perhaps some serious coaxing. Thus, the need for some dedicated userscript compatibility.

The biggest impact using the latest K-meleon on Goanna is that G_oogle reCaptchas don't use the non-Javascript versions for some websites (older K-meleon doesn't have that problem, all is non-Javascript reCaptcha, but other functionality isn't up to date enough). Clicking the Javascript toggle button does help with some websites, but others use a popup dialog that needs Javascript. There are various ways around it, but those seem to be on a site-to-site basis, each requiring a dedicated userscript of some sort.

I'll certainly go through your post more thoroughly and give things a concerted try. I'll report back with my findings, but it may take a while. The Palemoon addons looks promising at the very least.

>perhaps you can figure it out?

I've wasted too many years programming/scripting/etc. I'm quite a bit burned out from it, so probably no miracles from me at least.

Re: Userscripts Extension? / RECAPTCHA??
Date: March 30, 2019 03:29PM

just
The biggest impact using the latest K-meleon on Goanna is that G_oogle reCaptchas don't use the non-Javascript versions for some websites (older K-meleon doesn't have that problem, all is non-Javascript reCaptcha, but other functionality isn't up to date enough). Clicking the Javascript toggle button does help with some websites, but others use a popup dialog that needs Javascript. There are various ways around it, but those seem to be on a site-to-site basis, each requiring a dedicated userscript of some sort.

???
Very interesting, never came across a reCaptcha that worked without JS, in old KM.
Could you elaborate? With example URLs? And script examples?
(in a new post, keep this one focused on userscript addons)

Re: Userscripts Extension? / RECAPTCHA??
Date: March 31, 2019 05:02PM

No luck with Palemoon stuff. Things can install, but of course that is all. With everything else I've tried it just seems like someone has to actually dedicate time to writing something up. Thus, the improvement request still stands.

>With example URLs?
They are not appropriate to post here, unfortunately. It happens when using stable release 75.1. I'm starting to think it is only on those few sites because they have something to help get around needing Javascript. So, a userscript would still be needed for anything else.

Posted by: Shiro Naomi
Date: April 17, 2019 09:55PM

siria
Almost forgot:
KM-Goanna can also use Palemoon addons!
(KM74-goanna = Palemoon 26 / KM76-goanna = Palemoon 27)
In fact the goanna-engine needs those in some cases, which include greasemonkey:

https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/tools-and-utilities/
I cant install this addon sad smiley
https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/guerilla-scripting/

Posted by: Shiro Naomi
Date: April 17, 2019 11:26PM

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.