Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Better upper-right image (the pipe)
Posted by: raggy
Date: August 22, 2000 01:26PM

that pipe thing looks disgusting when it's animated :-)
i'd prefer a constant beam of electricity zapping across or how about a radiating sun (animated - rotating & radiating - same quality as the ie animated e/earth) when not loading a page and the same sun but radiating even brighter when loading a page.

Options: ReplyQuote
RE: Better upper-right image (the pipe)
Posted by: aethyr
Date: August 22, 2000 01:31PM

I don't know, I kinda like the pipe. That electricity/sun thing sounds hokey, and it would get on my nerves if it was always animated.

Posted by: Christophe Thibault
Date: August 22, 2000 02:20PM

Well, I think that's where my point to skinning K-Meleon comes to.

I think we should integrate skinning by allowing a skinner to only change the background bitmap and that upper-right animation. That should be enough and it'll not bloat the application smiling smiley

Posted by: Christophe Thibault
Date: August 22, 2000 02:34PM

Also, I would like to develop my idea. Let's make a K-Meleon Skin format. This format would just be a simple zip file containing a background bmp image and a little avi animation. It will uses the filetype .kms (K-Meleon Skin) and will be directly handled by the K-Meleon client.

So let's say that you click on the link :

http://some_webserver/madonna.kms

And whop, k-meleon will download and switch to this skin.

What do you think ?

Posted by: aethyr
Date: August 22, 2000 05:09PM

I like the default skin, but as long as we're on the topic of skinning, simply changing the graphics for the buttons shouldn't require that much overhead, I would imagine.

Christophe, I'm surprised you of all people haven't thought more about the skinning idea ;-)

personally, I like the way it looks & feels, but nothing wrong w/ a bit of customization.

just my $.02

Posted by: scratch
Date: August 23, 2000 07:34PM

Why use AVI? It seems to me something like animated gif would be more suited to the task. I like mozilla's format of a static gif for non-animated and an animated gif for the active state. If you don't want to use gif due to licensing, how about a strip of bmp images and a file that says how many there are? I'd like to see StarDock WebBlinds style skinning in this, but that's probably not going to happen.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.